What's new

Why your next new car will be Made In China: More Chinese-built cars sold in Australia than Korean or German vehicles

I am well aware of BYD. By the way BYD weren't really that big outside China, I mean they are not at Telsa Level if you discounted the Chinese market. Other than SIXT order, their present weren't at all good in Europe. On the other hand,Hertz brought 175,000 GM EV at the same time.

EV is the way to go for future Rental Car market because EU start replacing combustion engine car with EV, different company go with different brand, and looking at SIXT ordered Atto 3, which is the cheapest of the BYD range in Europe, cost concern probably being put on priority, most car rental company did that, because they don't own their car for everyday ride, they own their car to make profits.

Problem is, what you do not understand is the general sentiment toward Chinese car. And that remain unchanged in most Western Country. that's why Chinese Car market overseas is not really understand car culture in rest of the world. There are no brand loyalty for Chinese brand in the West, which mean you have to be on the standard with the western car if you want to break into Western market, price is not really a concern for most people.
比亚迪在中国的爆发式增长只是两年内的事情,是厚积薄发,没有人指望他能迅速的拿下海外市场,但从你的字里行间里看得出你还是以为他是靠性价比取胜的,那你错了,他是在国内高度内卷的市场里杀出来的,你不会还以为中国人只愿意买便宜货吧.

比亚迪在中国的爆发式增长只是两年内的事情,是厚积薄发,没有人指望他能迅速的拿下海外市场,但从你的字里行间里看得出你还是以为他是靠性价比取胜的,那你错了,他是在国内高度内卷的市场里杀出来的,你不会还以为中国人只愿意买便宜货吧.
BYD has been growing in China for way longer than 2 years, only in this forum we can trace back discussion since maybe 2016 or 2018.

And I said what people think, not what the car was, people still buy Chinese car because they are cheap, and that alone won't have enough sales, on the other hand, yes, Chinese car have increased their quality over the year but then so did the European car.

I mean, if you think Chinese car now can triumph over European car over quality, you are dead wrong.

My next car will be a Ferrari Testarossa, like the one from Miami Vice.. I wish

BYD has been growing in China for way longer than 2 years, only in this forum we can trace back discussion since maybe 2016 or 2018.

And I said what people think, not what the car was, people still buy Chinese car because they are cheap, and that alone won't have enough sales, on the other hand, yes, Chinese car have increased their quality over the year but then so did the European car.

I mean, if you think Chinese car now can triumph over European car over quality, you are dead wrong.
你可以看销售量,比亚迪在过去两年里才有了爆发式增长,是为什么呢?
你说的品牌形象和刻板印象转变那是另一回事了,这在中国国内也经历了一个过程.

你可以看销售量,比亚迪在过去两年里才有了爆发式增长,是为什么呢?
你说的品牌形象和刻板印象转变那是另一回事了,这在中国国内也经历了一个过程.
Well, all I can say is you are using what happened in China about BYD and compare them to what happen to BYD overseas.

There are brand loyalty for BYD within China, there won't be outside. I mean. if you are thinking about buying a BYD EV or GM EV or even Japan EV in China, most Chinese will go with BYD. This will not be the case outside China.

Problem is, what you do not understand is the general sentiment toward Chinese car. And that remain unchanged in most Western Country. that's why Chinese Car market overseas is not really understand car culture in rest of the world. There are no brand loyalty for Chinese brand in the West, which mean you have to be on the standard with the western car if you want to break into Western market, price is not really a concern for most people.
Plenty of BS from you. Chinese car standard in fact is more than western. Take a ET5 and compare with model 3 and u know american are really far behind...

Chinese car is not as active in seeking overseas venture becos their domestic market is priority and big enough. They only start to venture out recently when they stand firm in their own market. While car companies like South Korea and Japanese are active seeking overseas market becos their own market is small.

Chinese brand don't have brand loyalty becos we don't need to. We just need to produce the best bang for bucks and best quality. Customers with no loyalty will also buy your product becos it's one of the best.

Plenty of BS from you. Chinese car standard in fact is more than western. Take a ET5 and compare with model 3 and u know american are really far behind...

Chinese car is not as active in seeking overseas venture becos their domestic market is priority and big enough. They only start to venture out recently when they stand firm in their own market. While car companies like South Korea and Japanese are active seeking overseas market becos their own market is small.

Chinese brand don't have brand loyalty becos we don't need to. We just need to produce the best bang for bucks and best quality. Customers with no loyalty will also buy your product becos it's one of the best.
Sure, compare it to American car, which nobody in Australia drives except probably Mustang. And I would not say ET5 are a lot better than Model 3 by the way, just because you are saying it does not make it correct.

And the other things you said is a contradiction to what the OP are saying and is what I am saying. That's why MY NEXT CAR WILL NOT BE CHINESE. That I can most definitely say.

I live in Australia. Vitrually NO ONE drive Chinese car.

There are a few Chinese brand available in Australia. MG, Chery, LDV, SAIC and Great Wall. You will occasionally see a few tradie riving Great Wall or LDV ute on the street, otherwise there are virtually no sign of Chinese Car in Australia.

Most Australian buy Holden and Ford, then goes Hyundai and Toyota, then Honda, and then assorted German cars. Probably 1 in 500 drive a Chinese car.

Even dirt cheap, you can't beat second hand holden or ford, they are even cheaper and a lot more accessible than any Chinese brand.

I think the article is a bit misleading.

The article talked about car made overseas. Not car made in Australia (You can see it compare China to Thailand)

This is a more detail article on FCAI in 2021

By brand
  1. Toyota: 223,642 (+9.2% YTD)
  2. Mazda: 101,119 (+18.1%)
  3. Hyundai: 72,872 (+12.4%)
  4. Ford: 71,380 (+19.8%)
  5. Kia: 67,964 (+21.2%)
  6. Mitsubishi: 67,732 (+16.1%)
  7. Nissan: 41,263 (+7.7%)
  8. Volkswagen: 40,770 (+3.8%)
  9. MG: 39,025 (+155.9%)
  10. Subaru: 37,015 (+17.5%)
By Model
  1. Toyota HiLux: 52,801 (up from 45,176 in 2020)
  2. Ford Ranger: 50,279 (up from 40,973)
  3. Toyota RAV4: 35,751 (down from 38,537)
  4. Toyota Corolla: 28,768 (up from 25,882)
  5. Hyundai i30: 25,575 (up from 20,734)
  6. Isuzu D-Max: 25,117 (up from 15,062)
  7. Mazda CX-5: 24,968 (up from 21,979)
  8. Toyota Prado: 21,299 (up from 18,034)
  9. Mitsubishi Triton: 19,232 (up from 18,136)
  10. MG ZS: 18,423 (up from 5494)
By the way, most Australian think MG was still a British Brand. It is, but the car division was sold to China. I think decades ago.

In the first six months of this year alone, China exported 47k cars to Australia. During this period, the sales volume of cars in Australia was 540k. That is to say, Chinese brands occupy 9% of the market.

6753AE604F43586B0CD75B99672BC53C.png

Are you sure you rarely see Chinese brand cars in Australia? Or because most of the cars exported by China are new energy vehicles, you don't know those new car signs?

In the first six months of this year alone, China exported 47k cars to Australia. During this period, the sales volume of cars in Australia was 540k. That is to say, Chinese brands occupy 9% of the market.

View attachment 885282

Are you sure you rarely see Chinese brand cars in Australia? Or because most of the cars exported by China are new energy vehicles, you don't know those new car signs?
New Car sale from Jan - July is 715,000 not 540k according to VFACT

first of all, China ship 47k vehicle does not mean they have sold 47k, you also need to fill the show room and ready to ship stock, I mean Chinese car is not exactly Ferrari or Lamborghini or Aston Martin, you don't order one and then wait for it to ship from UK or Italy or something, like Toyota and Kia or brand like that, you have some ready to go stock where you can pick up your new cars in a week after they done with paperwork or upgrade.

Second of all, that number is not really a lot in case you are wondering, Australia has estimated 10 million cars on the road EVERYDAY, how much is 47k.

Again, I made a video from where I drive from Seven Hills to Blacktown on my daily milk run during Rush Hour, you can see how many Chinese car are on the road at the time I have driven. And I am living in Blacktown, one of the poorest suburb in Sydney, where I have LDV, SAIC and Chery Dealer just off my street. if there is a Chinese car to be spotted, that is the place to be

Camera don't lie.

My next car will be a Ferrari Testarossa, like the one from Miami Vice.. I wish
My Next car will be either a Toyota Landcruiser or Kluger. I had been trying to get a Kluger since last year, was told due to the chip shortage, If I order one now, I can get it somewhere in March next year...

My brother drove Ferrari 575 when I was still in the State, had been on that, I am not really impressed by it.

Last edited:
New Car sale from Jan - July is 715,000 not 540k according to VFACT

first of all, China ship 47k vehicle does not mean they have sold 47k, you also need to fill the show room and ready to ship stock, I mean Chinese car is not exactly Ferrari or Lamborghini or Aston Martin, you don't order one and then wait for it to ship from UK or Italy or something, like Toyota and Kia or brand like that, you have some ready to go stock where you can pick up your new cars in a week after they done with paperwork or upgrade.

Second of all, that number is not really a lot in case you are wondering, Australia has estimated 10 million cars on the road EVERYDAY, how much is 47k.

Again, I made a video from where I drive from Seven Hills to Blacktown on my daily milk run during Rush Hour, you can see how many Chinese car are on the road at the time I have driven. And I am living in Blacktown, one of the poorest suburb in Sydney, where I have LDV, SAIC and Chery Dealer just off my street. if there is a Chinese car to be spotted, that is the place to be

Camera don't lie.

My Next car will be either a Toyota Landcruiser or Kluger. I had been trying to get a Kluger since last year, was told due to the chip shortage, If I order one now, I can get it somewhere in March next year...

My brother drove Ferrari 575 when I was still in the State, had been on that, I am not really impressed by it.
First of all, I'm talking about the sales in the first six months, not the first seven months.

Secondly, I suggest you go to the wealthier neighborhoods to shoot. Almost all of China's exports are new energy vehicles, which are usually expensive.

Third, if you know Chinese word, you should see that the average ex factory price of Chinese cars exported to Australia is 46000 dollars. If the difference between the ex factory price and the sales price and the tariff are included, the average selling price of these cars in Australia should exceed 60000 dollars.

IMG_20221007_181343.jpg

First of all, I'm talking about the sales in the first six months, not the first seven months.

Secondly, I suggest you go to the wealthier neighborhoods to shoot. Almost all of China's exports are new energy vehicles, which are usually expensive.

Third, if you know Chinese word, you should see that the average ex factory price of Chinese cars exported to Australia is 46000 dollars. If the difference between the ex factory price and the sales price and the tariff are included, the average selling price of these cars in Australia should exceed 60000 dollars.

View attachment 885285
So you are saying, in this down turn, Australia buy 160,000 cars in a month?? 1/4 of the the combine of previous 6 months?? I found that hard to believe.

By the way, Half Yearly almost always means Jan 1 - June 30, which is basically Jan - July, and Australia cutoff date are July 1 because that is the day your tax was charged. We call it "END OF FINANCIAL YEAR" So, no, if people say First six month (ie Jan 1 to June 30) would have been the same as saying from Jan to July, which would have seen 715,000 new car cars sold.

Secondly, Chinese car are "CHEAP" as in the correspondent category. For example, a MG Z2 2022 model will set you back $45,960, while a Hyundai Ioniq Will set you back $55,990. A 2022 Tesla Model 3 will set you back $74995

Of course, if you compare EV to traditional internal combustion engine vehicle, then, there are no comparsion, you compare EV to EV, ICE to ICE.

And lol, richer neighborhood drive BMW i8 or Porsche or even Ferrari. Nobody in upscale suburb (North Sydney, Double Bay and all) will be caught with a BYD or MG......Don't be daft. Again, I am going downtown to the airport next Tuesday I am going to post that trip online. we can see then.

And I don't know what to tell you, except maybe your "list" is wrong, because 46000 USD = around 70,000 AUD. There are no way Chinese car on average sold for $70,000, As I quoted, I can walk off a dealer with a MG ZS from 44990 and that's from MG dealer too. And I am showing you Chinese car price in Australia.

MG - https://mgmotor.com.au/models/mg-zsev/

Chery - https://www.drive.com.au/news/electric-2023-chery-omoda-5-for-australia/

BYD https://bydautomotive.com.au/config...l5f9kcHfZLlqpgUhr2lIeNFTT0Mw6HeMr?ref=website

Haval - https://www.blacktowncitygwmhaval.com.au/stock/all-cars-for-sale/Haval

I don't see any car from all these dealer selling over 50,000 per. Unless this is some kind of scam and you really have to pay 70,000 for a Chinese car even tho those dealer have an asking price of 45,000-49,000. I mean, I am not about to find out. You can if you want to come here and try it.

Last edited:
Sure, compare it to American car, which nobody in Australia drives except probably Mustang. And I would not say ET5 are a lot better than Model 3 by the way, just because you are saying it does not make it correct.

And the other things you said is a contradiction to what the OP are saying and is what I am saying. That's why MY NEXT CAR WILL NOT BE CHINESE. That I can most definitely say.
Finishing used on ET5 is much better quality. Sound proof of Tesla 3 are notorious bad. This a well know fact. In terms of handling and performance, both are quire similar. The material used on ET5 are much higher quality. ET5 can fast charge and batt swap. Tesla 3 cant.

Finishing used on ET5 is much better quality. Sound proof of Tesla 3 are notorious bad. This a well know fact. In terms of handling and performance, both are quire similar. The material used on ET5 are much higher quality. ET5 can fast charge and batt swap. Tesla 3 cant.
All these beside fast charging and battery swap are tangible measurement, other are just opinion. I mean, how do you measure which "finishing" is better, and what sound proof have to do with cars anyway?? "Oh, I am not going to buy a Tesla 3 because I can hear music from outside the car when window is up??"

On the other hand, Tesla 3 can supercharge to 100% in 63 minutes. And if you want to swap battery (Which I don't understand why you need to, to begin with) you can by Model Y for it.

Well, all I can say is you are using what happened in China about BYD and compare them to what happen to BYD overseas.

There are brand loyalty for BYD within China, there won't be outside. I mean. if you are thinking about buying a BYD EV or GM EV or even Japan EV in China, most Chinese will go with BYD. This will not be the case outside China.
爆发性增长的原因呢?2021年九月份比亚迪的月销量是七万,今年九月是二十万,难道就在一年内中国人突然变得"brand loyalty×2"了吗?
你到现在还咬死比亚迪只是靠价格吗?

Back
Top Bottom