What's new

Why would people from China, the world's second-biggest economy, risk their lives to enter the UK?

I know China has developed a lot even in the last decade, but there was also another tragedy in the Morecambe Bay where some Chinese were trafficked and forced into work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster
Hello, that is 2004, it's a 15years ago incident. That is the time when high speed rail of China isn't even build... An apple to orange comparison. China is not the 2004 anymore. It is China 2019 who export the most tourist. Chinese tourist spend the most compare to other countries.

Hello, that is 2004, it's a 15years ago incident. That is the time when high speed rail of China isn't even build... An apple to orange comparison. China is not the 2004 anymore. It is China 2019 who export the most tourist. Chinese tourist spend the most compare to other countries.

I agree, for some reason it doesn’t sound like a long time ago in 2004, but you are right it is like a generation has passed, and the situation in China has progressed rapidly. But it is interesting there are still people being trafficked from places like Romania in the EU which has a GDP per capita similar to urban China.

I agree, for some reason it doesn’t sound like a long time ago in 2004, but you are right it is like a generation has passed, and the situation in China has progressed rapidly. But it is interesting there are still people being trafficked from places like Romania in the EU which has a GDP per capita similar to urban China.
In 2019, it's is more expensive to traffick a Chinese national compare to other third world nation. Not worth the effort for such low level profit and problem, in my opinion.

I agree, for some reason it doesn’t sound like a long time ago in 2004, but you are right it is like a generation has passed, and the situation in China has progressed rapidly.
I agree 2004 doesn't sound long time ago, but in China 2004 and 2019 are two totally different worlds if you see her personally.

You son looks very white, mixed blood?

It may be a surprise to you or maybe not, but a lot of Pakistanis look like this. The international media specially indian media has portrayed a false and terrible picture of the country. By the way, it looks like Indian movies are becoming Big in China, and doing some good business there.

In the UK, all Far Eastern, South East Asians and East Asians are labelled as Chinese because people say they can't tell the difference between them.

My sons Chinese friend told me in China often 10 students will be renting one room and sleep in a triple shared bunk of 8 hour shifts and elecity is cut off after 10 pm. With such conditions is it surprising we see this happen? It's about quality of life.
Bro, your son's information is dated. He might heard this from a guy attended a shity college at least 2 decade ago for so many people sharing a big room... But for the shared bunk story, it is the first time I have ever heard of...
Today, for undergraduates, 4 students share a room is standard, with individual bathroom. The cost for this kind of room is less than 200 USD/year per person.
Today in 2019, the facilities of Chinese universities are up to standard. You can go through this thread as I have shown the campus view of tens of Chinese universities:
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/vietnamese-girls-studying-in-china-vlogs.633685/
As for the power cut, I am not sure if some universities still do that, but it was just a measure used to prevent students from staying overnight playing online games.

Last edited:
Yes, this kind of smuggling is too old fashioned. For Chinese today, tourist visa are very very easy to obtain. You can just join a tour group and disappear when arrived. Much easier and cost even less than risking life to hide in a cargo container... Therefore, I highly doubt that these victims' true nationalities are Chinese. But this is a tragedy, R.I.P. regardless of their nationalities.

CNN asking China's MFA:

Q: Regarding the tragedy in the UK, I understand details are limited at this point, but perhaps you can help me with some context in understanding. As you laid out, there have been many successes, advances and progress of the past 70 years with the People's Republic of China, and that was celebrated earlier this month with the national day. Hearing that and then from an outside perspective, what would then motivate people from China to want to leave in such a risky way?

A: You are with CNN, right? You asked this question out of turn and earned no credits at all.

First, like I said earlier to the Reuters journalist, we are in close contact with the British police who are still verifying the identity of the victims and could not confirm whether they were Chinese nationals at this point.

Under the current circumstances, I believe everyone is saddened by the 39 lost souls, wondering what happened to them. We hope all countries will step up cooperation in countering human trafficking and illegal migration, don't we? The urgent task is to find out what actually happened and find ways to address similar issues.

In your question you presumed those victims were Chinese and linked this case with the 70th anniversary of the founding of the PRC. This is a problem. It exposes something in your mind or rather, in the mind of some American media that you represent. What kind of answer did you hope to get from that?

Like I said earlier, as we are now in the 70th year after the founding of the PRC, the Chinese people's happiness, satisfaction, fulfillment and security comes at an unprecedented level. All 1.4 billion Chinese are proud of our country's great achievements. If you look around, you'll know that China is not the country with serious illegal immigration issues. In fact, I know that a growing number of foreign friends want to study, travel, work and even live permanently in China. I believe this simple fact speaks volumes.

This is why I think your question is indeed inappropriate.

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/xwfw_665399/s2510_665401/t1710842.shtml

It's such an obvious politically-motivated question by CNN.

Whether they are Chinese or Vietnamese, it's 39 lives and 39 families just lost a member. It's distasteful to politicize the issue and take the opportunity to take a dig at the Chinese government.

Let the police check this out but I doubt they are Chinese. It's just not worth the risk anymore, my bloody workers in China earn more than what they pay in Sg. Go figure.

if one can't make a living in China, he can't survive in the rest of the world. get those traffickers, and put them into jail.

Saw the news yesterday and I was really confused why anyone in China need to sneak abroad. It makes perfect sense now that they have been identified as Vietnamese with faked Chinese documents. They were taking advantage of China's visa free status to travel to Eastern Europe, in order to get to Britain.

Either way, it's a sad event. They wanted better lives for themselves. Plenty of Chinese perished trying to run away in the 1980's and 1990's.

still there are low rung people believe west is paradise.

credit due to western propaganda .

they paid their life to know the fact, then it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom