What's new

Why Pakistan loses its best

This is the same nation that believed in the guy who said he can replace gasoline with water. :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

My uni was spending lakhs of rupees each day on fuel for electricity generation due to having a line with 18 hours load shedding. I used my personal links and alot of effort to arrange for a separate feeder for the uni, i was expecting applause and pat on the back. Guess what, they all became my enemies, naive me didn't know they were earning thousands per day in commissions from oil buying and i was blocking their money making fiesta. In short they ganged up against lonely newbie me and sidelined me and it goes on.
The thing is in Pakistan, if u try to do little good, the mafia is everywhere and they ll become ur enemy.

Some of his peers — jealous intellectual midgets —
This is exactly how I would describe some! If I need to add, it would be leaches! Holding onto a position for dear life without contributing and thus wasting away Pakistan's years due to shear jealous/ power greed and selfish stupidity!

There is a factor of nepotism, political affiliation, sectarian, ethnic, even religious affiliation in appointments.
The sad reality

tears were in my eyes. I had the feeling like, jaisy mery baap nain mujhe ghar se nikal dia ho.
So left Pakistan.
I know that feeling too well :(

pakistan is no place for a capable ,honest man who really strives for bringing a positive change and betterment in the society and we blame the leaders for the mess we are in. we all are equally responsible for the sorry state of affairs.
pakistan say zinda bhag.

This is exactly how I would describe some! If I need to add, it would be leaches! Holding onto a position for dear life without contributing and thus wasting away Pakistan's years due to shear jealous/ power greed and selfish stupidity!
PARC:rolleyes:

they will soon leave unless our universities can be made to respect the rule of law and operate on principles of strict merit, fair play and transparency

Even with 100 per cent perfect GRE scores and excellent grades, overseas candidates have a hard time getting in and then surviving. Fortunately, I had colleagues on the MIT faculty with whom I had either collaborated on research or who had been on my PhD committee. After an initial hiccup it all worked out and Amer was on his way.

So, he wants universities to respect rule of law, operate on strict merit, fair play and transparency while he himself admitted in the same article, that he pulled strings to get one of his students into MIT? Sure, his student must have been intelligent and capable but the fact that he recognized how difficult it is for people to get into MIT even with perfect scores, did he not realize that another student from other part of the world may have lost out in getting into MIT because they might not have a professor who collaborated on research with MIT professors?

So, he wants universities to respect rule of law, operate on strict merit, fair play and transparency while he himself admitted in the same article, that he pulled strings to get one of his students into MIT? Sure, his student must have been intelligent and capable but the fact that he recognized how difficult it is for people to get into MIT even with perfect scores, did he not realize that another student from other part of the world may have lost out in getting into MIT because they might not have a professor who collaborated on research with MIT professors?

Almost all of the students considered at these places have perfect scores. All candidates with perfect scores look exactly the same. Professors then rely on personal recommendations of people they can rely on, preferably alumni. This is not illegal or immoral but the standard practice. This is YET ANOTHER reason why there should be Pakistani faculty and alumni of calibre that can provide such opportunities to future Pakistani students. You should visit MIT or Stanford and see all the Iranian and Indian faculty with Iranian and Indian students. You'll be hard pressed to find Pakistanis. Perhaps try to improve Pakistans higher education instead of leg pulling someone who's trying to identify the cesspool that is our higher education system.

Almost all of the students considered at these places have perfect scores. All candidates with perfect scores look exactly the same. Professors then rely on personal recommendations of people they can rely on, preferably alumni. This is not illegal or immoral but the standard practice. This is YET ANOTHER reason why there should be Pakistani faculty and alumni of calibre that can provide such opportunities to future Pakistani students. You should visit MIT or Stanford and see all the Iranian and Indian faculty with Iranian and Indian students. You'll be hard pressed to find Pakistanis. Perhaps try to improve Pakistans higher education instead of leg pulling someone who's trying to identify the cesspool that is our higher education system.
I am not disagreeing that Pakistan's education has a lot of mess (like most of the country) nor am I disagreeing that Pakistani are not very prominent in the education scene in foreign universities as compared to Indians/Iranians, but like you said, if everyone's scores look the same, and in the end only recommendations work, then there will be people who are not able to get the recommendations they need to get in despite having the perfect score. This is also a slap in the face of words like "strict merit, fair play".

I am not disagreeing that Pakistan's education has a lot of mess (like most of the country) nor am I disagreeing that Pakistani are not very prominent in the education scene in foreign universities as compared to Indians/Iranians, but like you said, if everyone's scores look the same, and in the end only recommendations work, then there will be people who are not able to get the recommendations they need to get in despite having the perfect score. This is also a slap in the face of words like "strict merit, fair play".
That's a whole other discussion but let's not derail this thread. Apologies if I misconstrued your intentions.

It's about need. At the moment we don't need these guys. So they better save their lives. When we will be needing them, then there will be plenty of them.
Actually it's our decision to run Pakistan like that. Sisakta hoa, rota hoa, ghisatta hoa, bimar Sa, kamzor Sa, piala hath main liay, hamesha majbor o lachar. I was also once searching for job in Pakistan. I was interviewed by the guys and on the topics which they never have seen the real hardware, and I was designer of those hardware. After insults by many 3rd class sifarishis, I thought, may be Pakistan doesn't need me. When I was leaving Karachi Airport, tears were in my eyes. I had the feeling like, jaisy mery baap nain mujhe ghar se nikal dia ho.
So left Pakistan.
Jo bat hai !!!!

Achay parhay likhay, ambitious logon ki koi jaga nai is mulk mein. Jahil sifarishi hi sirf chaltay hain yahan aur daldal ko mazbut karte rehte hain.

MANHOOS LOG

Jo bat hai !!!!

Achay parhay likhay, ambitious logon ki koi jaga nai is mulk mein. Jahil sifarishi hi sirf chaltay hain yahan aur daldal ko mazbut karte rehte hain.

MANHOOS LOG
India doesn't have to fight us, we will destroy ourselves sooner.

People outside Pakistan do not trust the examinations and marks awarded by the educational institutions in Pakistan for very good reason and places are limited, not everyone is ever going to be offered a place on marks. That is why recommendations of trusted professionals are required. People who know the student and his capabilities.
What you are missing is that the recommender will be trusted by the staff at MIT. That trust will have been earned. The recommender when he makes the recommendation is laying his reputation on the line by putting his name next to the student's.
He is not going to squander that trust by recommending substandard people who are not up to it on the basis of personal bias or favour.
That is why the system is fair and why it works.

Nothing hurt me more than reading and listening such stories.. We never even try to get better despite having immense potential and there is absolutely no shortage of bright minds in our country.. But alas.!!! Our leaders are thugs and always incompetent.. And we are the reason.. Ironically we throw out the bright people and elect the most corrupt as leaders.. Being a physics student my heart always bleed for how we have treated or treating the poeples who deserves our utmost respect and support..:cry:

I dont think it is called PULLED STRINGS....it is called flying references and waqfiyat...Which mind you exists in the West as well!

In our own group, we had funds to hire someone and our professor liked an ex student of the group and made an ad surrounding her capabilities so that she would be the only one who can possibly get it...they put the ad, recieved applications and interviewed people but only chose her! And I know 1 too many in the West. But SUCH cases MOST of the time is because they know the student they have is well worth the trouble...hardworking and whatnot.

I also know when I joined a group in Italy I and another was the only out of 30 students who came on merit while all the others KNEW their NEW supervisor based on their PREVIOUS Masters thesis supervisor. For some the Masters thesis supervisor (old) was friends/ collaborator with their PhD (new) supervisor while for some they had done few months with the new guy and so he knew them and chose them....So it is up to you what you wish to call it. It isnt called Nepotism because these people are CAPABLE not just relatives or friends who wish to have a seat at the table without any qualifications!

MANY a times it is the Arab style WASTA/ WAQFIYAT without an English equivalent and thus isnt discussed! Like ever!

You should visit MIT or Stanford and see all the Iranian and Indian faculty with Iranian and Indian students.
Yup even if 1 gets in these nationalities bring in their own people! It is very common even in Canada [or so I have been told] and I have seen it in UK.

Pakistanis naa khud ban tay hain na agalay ko chance daytay hain! I dont know why there is a strong jealousy gene?! I mean jo cheez ALLAH nay mana ki hai ussi ko darjah daytay hain hum?

"strict merit, fair play".
If you have 3 candidates who are really good it can become very hard to choose. I was in such a situation...Me vs a Dane.

5 got selected based on application and preliminary interview brought it down to 2. I had a face to face meeting and a presentation and even then they couldnt choose between me and the Danish dude. So we had to write an essay to break the tie. And here I lost coz I wasnt in a situation where I could get scientific articles plus I wasnt well versed in the subject and to write a scientific essay I needed journal articles that I couldnt access...I lost in round 3...But in my case even my and the Danish's dude's reference was strong so we had another tie breaker (the essay)...writing skill esp scientific writing is a skill I brushed up on later on...

Back
Top Bottom