What's new

Why Isn’t There A “Muslim Party” In India?

If you open a religious party in India...your a$$ will be kicked and you can never become national party....because India is secular country.....I know "secular" is bad word in Pakistan ....same way "communal" is bad word in India...

Just imagine if a Hindu would have given this kind of speech in Pakistan against Muslim....what would be the result

He'd be hung and displayed at a chownk

A secular country doesn't have Muslim parties as such, it has parties with Muslim Candidates. It is the same with Hindus or Christians or any other religions. However there is no obligation on such format for a political party, having said that what would be the practicality when ur Agenda will be polarizing and the constituency will be having other members too?

Please don't make an issue of a non-issue.

Regarding members asking Muslim representation please let us know the representation of your minorities in Pakistani Assembly ?? While in Pakistan unless and until your Constitution is changed u cannot have a Hindu Prime Minister or President !!!! We have had Muslim President's and in future probably a Muslim would lead us as our Prime Minister. Guess what if needed he will take Pro or Anti Pakistan actions :cheesy: a lot of Pakistani's might find this confusing :undecided:

Article is talking about a NATIONAL Muslim party. Is there any such party?

a political party shall be eligible to be recognised as a National party if :-

(i) it secures at least six percent(6%) of the valid votes polled in any four or more states, at a general election to the House of the People or, to the State Legislative Assembly; and

(ii) in addition, it wins at least four seats in the House of the People from any State or States.

OR

it wins at least two percent (2%) seats in the House o the People (i.e., 11 seats in the existing House having 543 members), and these members are elected from at least three different States.

ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA

If no such party exist that can win seats on such scale, what can any one do??

@Aeronaut i thought, Indian Internal affairs are a banned topic, i know many open threads like this, but atleast i EXPECTED a MODERATOR to follow the set rules of PDF.

How it concerns you if there aren't any MUSLIM party in India or not??

But, don't worry, Our CENTRAL & STATE govts. are doing a commendable job & every community in India is prospering.

Anyways, Carry On.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys enough of making fun of that hyderbadi kitten let's get back on topic

Indian-party-symbols.jpg

Posted by: Ahsan Butt on January 29, 2013 in Academia, Ahsan Butt, International Politics, Slider

When might we expect the development of an ethnic/communal/identification-based party in a polity? First, if the society at large is divided along ethnic or communal lines. Second, if other ethnic communities have already organized a political party on such bases. Third, if political demands in the society that happen to be couched in ethnic or communal terms find a more receptive audience, all else being equal.

Each of these conditions is met by India. It is one of the most ethnically divided societies in world politics. It features Hindu parties and Sikh parties. It has, according to Steven Wilkinson, become an increasingly consociational polity in recent decades, making demands based on ethnic or communal identities more attractive to political entrepreneurs.Yet, despite this, and despite the fact that Muslims account for about 15% of India’s population (about ten times more than Sikhs), we don’t see the development of a national Muslim party. Why not?, Adam Ziegfeld, currently a post-doc at UChicago, was kind enough to send me this brief response to my question:

"Personally, my answer would be that it’s a combination of demography and status. In most parts of India, Muslims are a pretty small chunk of the population, so any Muslim party would do pretty badly in a single member district system. A party would need more than 5-10% of the vote in order to be enough of a threat that other parties would want to ally with it. By contrast, for example, the PMK, which started as a mainly Vanniyar party, was working with a community that accounts for about 25-35% of the population in large parts of northern Tamil Nadu, where it was most active. In addition, given the status of Muslims (both socio-economic and in terms of social status), Muslims aren’t particularly well positioned to serve as the anchor for a larger party because they tend to be poorer and carry a social stigma in a way that upper or dominant castes would not.

However, in many of the places where Muslims are heavily concentrated and could therefore support a party that could plausibly win seats, we actually do see quite a few Muslim parties (depending on how you define a Muslim party): Muslim League in Kerala, National Conference and People’s Democratic Party in Kashmir, the AUDF in Assam, AIMIM in Hyderabad. I don’t know much about them but the Peace Party and Qaumi Ekta Dal also won a couple of seats in the UP 2012 election. In general, there probably could be more Muslim parties that won seats in north Indian cities, but given the limited area of competitiveness, it might make more sense for Muslim leaders in north India to hitch themselves to bigger parties. More generally, I think the reason for the absence of a national Muslim party is just that it would be doomed to fail miserably in 90%+ of Lok Sabha seats.

So there seems to be an interaction effect between two variables here: sheer numbers on the one hand, and the relative levels of concentration of Indian Muslims. The number of Muslims in India would not be an impediment towards the creation of a Muslim party if they were geographically concentrated like, say, the Sikhs in Punjab. (The Sikhs are also helped, I think, by the fact that Punjab is an important state for both external and internal politics in India, bordering both Pakistan and the so-called Hindi belt in North India). But Muslims aren’t geographically concentrated, so their relative paltry numbers in the population becomes a problem (insofar as the non-creation of a Muslim party is a “problem”).

The funny thing is how similar this sounds to the Monica Toft story on ethnic violence, where both numbers and concentration really matter. Which leads me to this fearless prediction on a slightly related topic: if the two-party duopoly in the U.S. is ever broken, it won’t be by Northern Republican fantasies of a sane alternative to the currently nutty GOP, but by a Hispanic party based in the west and southwest of the U.S.

Also, going back to the Indian Muslims story, lurking in the background here are the electoral institutions themselves, given that first-past-the-post systems incentivize different types of action and mobilization than proportional representation. I’m almost certain we’d see a national Muslim party if India had a PR system rather than FPTP. Of course, given India’s diversity, PR would in all likelihood force gridlock and extremism the likes of which make the current Republican party the paragon of pragmatism.

Ahsan Butt is an assistant professor of government and politics at George Mason university.

Because in 1947 it self we rejected the idea of rule/politics based on religion unlike pakistan and we are happy.

Modi the Murderer of 3000+ innocent Indian Citizens should be hanged.

On Topic, Muslims should unite and move to Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Kerala States. They are better off in States with high Muslim Populations to take over few State Governments. They are too dispersed and spread too thin to take advantage of their numbers.

There are 250 Million Muslims in India ( 20%). The Government of India lies about the true numbers of Muslims in India.

what is the punishment for telling a lie ?? and spreading hate ???

Don't you all know Religion and Politics should not be mixed or else we get a FAILED STATE

Disclaimer : Failed state comment is not for a particular country but in general terms .

author is an ignorant......there are plenty muslim parties in india....

MIM, IUML, AIUDF, Peace party, Welfare party for example....

and even congress, SP, Left, RJD, LJP are all pro-muslim parties.......

and its actually good for muslims there is no muslim party.......because right now....hindus too vote for these explicitly pro-muslim parties as they hide behind the facade of being secular.....but if muslim parties arose, then hindus wont vote for it and there would be a polarization of votes which would benefit hindus......

Add to that People Democratic Front - a comrade style party from Kerala

There is a Muslim party (MIM) in Hyderabad Deccan led by Owaisi the Lion of Hyderabad.
:omghaha: :rofl: A$$holes can't be lions!! They are just a$$holes! :P

He is 10 times the man Modhi is...
:omghaha: Oh man, you seem to be clown who's lost his way to the circus and landed up on PDF instead!! :P

Back
Top Bottom