What's new

Why is South Indian food different from North Indian food?

Hello! I am from Bangladesh and in Bangladesh we eat bhaat (Rice), ruti (Roti) porotha (Paratha); Ruti, Paratha and Aloo Paratha are mainly for breakfast with vegetables or aloo bhajji (Fry) or aloo gobi or niramish. Meat and fish are extremely important part of our diet.

Rice dishes like Plain Rice (With White or Brown Rice), Palaw (Pilaf), Biryani, Khichuri (Khichdi). Fish food like Ilish (Hilsa) Mach torkari (curry) or bhajji, Rui Mach torkari or bhajji, same with Pangash mach. We also eat daal like Masoor daal and Moong daal. Panta is rice in water and we eat it during Bangla new year; many people eat it with fish (Ilish) but my family only eats it with Bhortas especially aloo bhorta (mashed potatoes).

We eat types kinds of chicken dishes like Murgi Torkari (Chicken torkari), Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Broast, Chicken Roast, Chicken Korai, Korma, like Chicken Korma or Egg Korma. Also various types of Chicken gravies and curries.

Mutton and Beef dishes ex. Kebabs like Sheesh, Shashlik, Boti, Tikka Kebabs etc. with Naans like normal Naan or Garlic and Butter Naan. Mutton or Beef Keema, Nihari, Paya, Kofta, Kofta Korma, Haleem, Korai Gosht. And many kinds Beef and Mutton stew, gravies and curry. We tend to eat beef more than goat or lamb though.

We don't usually eat during evenings but when we do the popular choices are Puri, Samusa, Shingara, Mughlai Paratha or Cha (tea) with biscuits or sweets. We also love Fuchka, doi fuchka and chotpoti! Fuchkas are kind of like Pani Puri and Gol Gappa, not sure if they are the same... And we also eat Pithas especially during Winter season, and we eat Bhapa Pitha during that time.

Bangladesh/Bengali cuisine is also famous for it's wide range of sweet delicacies (Mishti) like Sandesh, Halwa, Roshogolla, Gulab Jamun, different kinds of Barfi, Doi (Dahi), Kalo Jaam, Roshmalai, Laddu, Kulfi, Falooda, Cham cham, Jilapi (Jalebi) and also beverages like Sharbat, Lassi, Cha, Roof Afza and Borhani.

So, I heard South Indians are mostly strict vegetarians and their food is really different from North India. The only food I hear about the South is Idli, Samba, Dosa and that they cook with Tamarind, Coconut oil or Coconut milk and they eat on leaves. Is that all true? I heard their food is also spicier than North Indian food. So what do South Indians eat? What do their diet and cuisine consist off? What spices do they use?

I heard they eat a lot of sea food but when we eat fish it is Fresh Water fish while Sea food is only common on the coastal cities of our country. Anyway, why is South Indian food different from North Indian food even if they are from the same country? And South Indians if you are here, give me your answers about your region's food like I have given above about Bangladeshi food.

Many of our dishes originates from Central and West Asia, I think. And we have similarities with Pakistan, North, Western India and offcoarse East India. Like, a lot of things are the same but they definitely differ in variations according to region. I do not know about South India... So where does South Indian food come from? Do they also eat the stuff that we eat? Is it also part of their culture?

North Indian food is different from South Indian food. Again food of Western india is different from both and similarly food of Eastern India is also different. North and Western India food has some commonalities but Bengali food is completely different from food of other regions of India. Oriya food is somewhat close to bengali but still there is difference. The closest to Indian Bengali cuisine is Bangladeshi cuisine.
One more thing, North Indians are more Veg than South Indians.

Baklava is a dessert in Middle east.
True and I have tried it.It tastes yummm.
yum1%20smiley.gif

I thought revolver Rani was a dish.

Imagine a dish called "revolver" Rani
fainting-smiley.gif

bowdown to your imagination
kneel-smiley.gif

Oh please stop lying; Mr.Levina does all the cooking in the family !

Whereas the couch potato you are, you spend the days watching soap operas and movies !

Bicharaa ! :(
1) I dont watch TV :coffee:
2) I dont lie :angry:
3) I hate soap operas :pissed:
4) I am not a "couch" potato8-)
5) Post reported for personal attack :coffee:

I think I have had something similar...You fry the fish and then make salan out of it right?

South Indian curries have tamarind, coconut milk and curry leaves giving a very different taste.

you heard wrong. Kerala is strictly non-veg especially fish and beef. without fish or redmeat it is hard to have food in Kerala. exceptions are there like Brahmins,GSB's etc. it is northern India which is particularly vegetarian IMO(exceptions are there). I can find non-veg is common in Tamil nadu, Manglore etc. Iddaly, Dosa, Sambar etc are invention of Tulu Brahmins. they are popularly known as Udupi cuisine(giyf). our food was Appam, Puttu, Tapioca, Rice and fish/beef. till this day, other state people runs vegetarian restaurants in Kerala(mostly).
Cuisine of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And contrary to popular belief in India.. Sri Lankan food is more similar to Kerala food than food from Tamil Nadu.. Both in terms of ingredients and meat consumption

But Sri Lankan food is more unique than South Indian food, because it's a fusion of Native, South Indian, Dutch, Malay, Moorish, Chinese and British influenced cuisine

Last edited:
Oh right!You are a descendant of Turks or Arabs right? I donno why you couldnt conquer your north neighours Assam/Ahom People?Wetting yourself?I want to ask do you look like Central Asian/Arab as you claim now? Wow would like to see ya.

We were just talking about cultures. And you speak as if Bengalis are ugly. :O There are good looking and ugly people from every race as a matter of fact. By the way, I always hear that in India the Punjabi and Bengali girls are the most famed for their beauty. There are beautiful women from every state in India but I hear people rave about Punjabi and Bengali girls the most. Plus also heard about Kashmiris and Gujratis too. Offcoarse there are beautiful girls everywhere in the World! Not just Punjabi or Bengali girls!

Not sure who is exactly descendants of Turks and Arabs. But we are a very diverse group because there has been a lot of mixing going on here for thousands of years.. My family background from my mom's side is from Afghanistan. My mom's dad, my grand father was a Pathan and he married my Grandmother when he was old and she was very younger than him and she came from a rich family and everyone says my grandma was extremely beautiful when she was young. My Grandfather had pet Jinns but all for a good cause, he used to help people ward off evil spirits and cure them from possessions or curses but he was also an Homeopathic doctor and he studied in Karachi and then Lucknow. It's because of him we got saved during the 1971 War because he knew Pashto, Farsi, Arabic, Urdu and so was able to convince the Pakistani soldiers but we are definitely not Rajakars but we were able to run away very easily. He was able to save his two wives and 14 kids so it's not even funny!

My grandmother from my dad's side has Iranian background and my dad's father who was an Islamic MP of our state during the old days and has Central Asian lineage and our forefather's name was Sher Khan and Zan Khan and they were Turks (the Khan name was actually given to them). My dad's uncle kept record of our ancestors. But I am not that much acquainted with my dad's side since my mother and father got separated when I was very young and we always lived in grandmother's house, unfortunately she died in 2011...

But I always hear a lot about my grandfather from my mother that he was a very calm, gentle, kind, friendly person and always believed in Allah. He was a noble man and was brave, strong, great in virtues. I have an admiration for him even thought I haven't met him since he died the same year I was born and just a month before my Birthday! He was 95 at that time! He was an accomplished Quran Hafez and helped everyone he could, so many people liked him! And the fact that he controlled jinns shows he was indeed a very disciplined person. And he NEVER did any foolish things with them or used them in that way!! Everything was done in proper way! Fortunately, my grand father was able to set them free many years before his death.

And why conquer Assam? We are not like that, we are peaceful people and have no interest in Assam or waste our time meddling with anyone. And invasions and stuff like that don't happen anymore in the modern World because now the laws are strict. You can't expect millions of Bengalis barge into Assam and tell people to convert, just like that! Anyway these things are very unrealistic nowadays... Americans could be given an exception but we are not Americans and I hate America right to the core. Terrorism is a different thing and we are not terrorists, it is a huge misconception about Muslims.

Last edited:
@Star Wars

What is the average breakfast food of a Keralite? Idly-Vada, Dosa, Upma or something else?

DUBARA MAT POOCHNA!!:angry:
puttu(keralas traditional most favorite),appam(hoppers),idiyappam,noolappam,idali(idli),dhosha(dhose),uppumaavu(uppittu) and also poori/chappathi/rotti/bread...

You from Kerala right? Am curious mate, how did Parotta end up being so famous and widespread in Kerala and parts of TN? Isn't it North Indian?
due to high muslim population...

puttu(keralas traditional most favorite),appam(hoppers),idiyappam,noolappam,idali(idli),dhosha(dhose),uppumaavu(uppittu) and also poori/chappathi/rotti/bread...

The roti/chappati eaten in South India is very different not round instead looks elongated, not swelled.

And contrary to popular belief in India.. Sri Lankan food is more similar to Kerala food than food from Tamil Nadu.. Both in terms of ingredients and meat consumption

But Sri Lankan food is more unique than South Indian food, because it's a fusion of Native, South Indian, Dutch, Malay, Moorish, Chinese and British influenced cuisine
i am from a nazrani christian family...and our cusine has influences from Israel/syria...and Muslim cusines from middle east...don't compare Kerala dishes with others especially tamil dishes..we have our own separate dishes..overall a mix of south indian,middle east,Israel/syria,chinese and western influences...

The roti/chappati eaten in South India is very different not round instead looks elongated, not swelled.
not sure about that...i am using 'aashirwad'flour...

Back
Top Bottom