What's new

Why is South Indian food different from North Indian food?

i am from a nazrani christian family...and our cusine has influences from Israel/syria...and Muslim cusines from middle east...don't compare Kerala dishes with others especially tamil dishes..we have our own separate dishes..overall a mix of south indian,middle east,Israel/syria,chinese and western influences...

Thats why i said Sri Lankan and Kerala cuisine are more similar than food from Tamil Nadu contrary to popular belief in India.. Just google Sri Lakan food and see..

Hoopers, String hoppers(Indi appam), Pittu etc are staple Sri Lankan food also meat/ Fish consumption is higher than most other South Indian food

It has similarities but it's not the same because SL food have more influences of western(Dutch, British), Moorish(Arabic) and Malay(SouthEast Asian) cuisine

Sri Lankan cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoopers, String hoppers(Indi appam), Pittu etc are staple Sri Lankan
same..brother....
hopper is appam in malayalam,string hopper is noolappam/idiappam and pittu is puttu...puttu(pittu) is our traditional dish and probably most favorite....

:coffee: Tell that to the Bangladeshis :sarcastic:
for what???
muslims in Kerala are malayalis,not from bangladesh or pakisthan..Muslims are not a separate race or ethnicity..just a religion...you can see malayali,Tamil,urdu kashmiri,bengali,Gujarati Muslims...are they all came from bangladesh???

Last edited:
same..brother....
hopper is appam in malayalam,string hopper is noolappam/idiappam and pittu is puttu...puttu(pittu) is our traditional dish and probably most favorite....

for what???
muslims in Kerala are malayalis,not from bangladesh or pakisthan..Muslims are not a separate race or ethnicity..just a religion...you can see malayali,Tamil,urdu kashmiri,bengali,Gujarati Muslims...are they all came from bangladesh???
Exactly. Being Muslim is no reason for roti to be popular. Thanks.

1) I dont watch TV :coffee:
2) I dont lie :angry:
3) I hate soap operas :pissed:
4) I am not a "couch" potato8-)
5) Post reported for personal attack :coffee:

Naturally no one cares for your 'reported posts' because Armstrong the Magnificent is the heart of this forum ! :smokin:

Jaiiin jo karnaa hai kar lein :bunny:

South Indian curries have tamarind, coconut milk and curry leaves giving a very different taste.
I hate coconut milk makes me burp alot...I ate once Hyderabadi style food...dear God! last time I tried it!

I hate coconut milk makes me burp alot...I ate once Hyderabadi style food...dear God! last time I tried it!

Hyderabadi food mostly use lots of mint leaves in every dish. Coconut is only used in mirchi ka salan.

Hyderabadi food mostly use lots of mint leaves in every dish. Coconut is only used in mirchi ka salan.
No idea what I ate...it just was nasty...and everyone was complementing it :cray: I have weird taste buds...

Thats why i said Sri Lankan and Kerala cuisine are more similar than food from Tamil Nadu contrary to popular belief in India.. Just google Sri Lakan food and see..

Hoopers, String hoppers(Indi appam), Pittu etc are staple Sri Lankan food also meat/ Fish consumption is higher than most other South Indian food

Add Mangalore/Dakshina Kannada to that list. It's pretty much the same. Though that is not the only part of the cuisine.

GONGURA CHICKEN RECIPE - Andhra

GonguraChicken.jpg

Andhra Chicken dishes are for "crazy South Indians" only. Others might explode on contact.:D

Last edited:
No idea what I ate...it just was nasty...and everyone was complementing it :cray: I have weird taste buds...

Any idea what was that, otherwise I have never find any Hyderabadi dish bad but they are fiercely hot.

When the culture is different between south and North, so is the food.... I am from a small state called Kerala, where in every district food is different... to know more about mallu food, there is already one thread created by @acetophenol on hotel kerala or something....

Any idea what was that, otherwise I have never find any Hyderabadi dish bad but they are fiercely hot.
Well...I am not sure what it was...I was a kid and I just didnt like the coconut milk in it...made the gravy a little sticky ish or something...made me burp a lot...and well it was prob hyderabadi cooking....Aunty (mom's friend the cook) is from Karachi...

Like I said everyone was complementing it ...just personally I didnt like it...

Well...I am not sure what it was...I was a kid and I just didnt like the coconut milk in it...made the gravy a little sticky ish or something...made me burp a lot...and well it was prob hyderabadi cooking....Aunty (mom's friend the cook) is from Karachi...

Like I said everyone was complementing it ...just personally I didnt like it...

Only weird Hyderabadi dish I know is the Zabaan Nihari. :sarcastic::sarcastic:

I as a travel freak person have tested almost all food, and all are good, south india is always rich with spices where north india in terms of butter, ghee content. these are two different cooking style though.

Back
Top Bottom