What's new

Why is Pakistan lagging behind in SAM and ABM technology?

Hi,
please watch the video of Sweden's multi beam 3D active phased array radar, i wonder if Pakistan ever evaluated it

YouTube - Saab Giraffe AMB Radar

Pakistan has the early version of Giraffe radars hooked with RBS-70 missile systems.

Our whole area is under constant radar coverage, we have 2-D and 3-D radars system based on Chinese and US radar systems, and the newly acquired airborne platform will provide added coverage.

It seems like Pakistan is lagging behind in Surface-to-air missile technology, and we have yet to procure any Anti-Ballistic missile system!

Shouldn't we focus on advancing in such technologies?

The necessity for such systems is dire, as the nafarious elements in the region continue to up the ante in missile technology and defence. :azn:

The development of Air Defence Systems need know - How in Areas Missile Technology and Radar, Time and a lot amount of Money. For example Turkey is working since the late 90ies on Air Defence Systems. For the first time KMS was developed, which is intgratet in Air Defence Network and is able to fire VSHORAD Stingers. Until now Turkey has done some important steps in missile Technology, guidet Missiles like Cirit going in Serial Production, OMTAS and UMTAS nearing the completion. Also Important, in 2008 the first Air Defence Radar developed by Aselsan was displayed to Public.

In January 2010 the SSM decidet by the SSIK meeting to develop short - and medium Range Air Defence Missiles by Aselsan - Roketsan Team, there is a 5 Year development Phase until the Missiles are ready to enter in Serial Production. The logic next step could be a development of and Long - Range High Altitude Air Defence System which is probably ABM capable, but I think Turkey would not gain the first System before 2020/25.

By joining turkish Programms Pakistan need no full amounts of Money when they develop the System indigenously.

Last edited:
hey there is another concept ...develop a medium range air defence system compleat with c-ram technology...this covering moste or all of our country can protect against missles bombs and other air to surface weapons..when the enemy is not able to destroy a target frm heigh altitude they ll have to come down and get ingaged by sam or paf ac...yes it is not very efficent or 100% but i dont see any system that is also there is no ABM defence but that can be achieved with later induction of long range chinese or any other sam ......also is the site RUPEE NEWS credible because they seeme to think that pa is getting chinese version of s300 ...plz clearify..thnx

ey there is another concept ...develop a medium range air defence system compleat with c-ram technology...this covering moste or all of our country can protect against missles bombs and other air to surface weapons..when the enemy is not able to destroy a target frm heigh altitude they ll have to come down and get ingaged by sam or paf ac

Well the Fundamental Problem will remain the same.

First the Range of the gattling gun is very less.So in Order to say defend a target of Importance one has to install many Guns.And Simultaneously employ Many SAMs.

Hmmm well your Idea although not applicable for wide Spread Defence can be used to Protect targets of Strategic Importance such Nuclear Installations.

Well the Fundamental Problem will remain the same.

First the Range of the gattling gun is very less.So in Order to say defend a target of Importance one has to install many Guns.And Simultaneously employ Many SAMs.

Hmmm well your Idea although not applicable for wide Spread Defence can be used to Protect targets of Strategic Importance such Nuclear Installations.

ya ..its more of a point defence kinda thing for heigh value targets...
thnx

Because these are the two fields which require the max R&D and are very costly. Pak's missile program is more ballistic missile oriented. They are good at ballistic missiles but not at other missiles.

They can buy these systems from China, but antiballistic missile defences are new and not inducted as of yet.

SAMs are very expensive again. For PAF which is seriously short on aircraft, replacing their aircraft is a priority. 80% of PAF planes are old now and need replacement in tis decade. They are now putting money into newer planes like JF-17 and J10 and F16. So they are doing a good job and can't expect a miracle from them either.

I am content with their job.[/QU

good answer mate...

How about we get our hands on S400?
hi
even S-300 will serve our needs but the question is how to get our hands on Russian tech, the only option is China, so lets see what happens, however i am really annoyed at Pakistani policy makers they have always lacked innovation.

The days of proliferation are over. China and North Korea have helped Pakistan in the past with Nuke and Missile Tech, such double dealing is not possibe now, especially after the AQ Khan fiasco.

Plus, Chinese technology in both these spheres leaves much to be desired. The best SAM that the Chinese have is the HQ-9, which itself is a clone of the S-300 system procured from Russia. As for ABM tech the Chinese are still very much in the design and development phase. Where as India plans to have the first stage of the ABM programme deployed by 2016. China has also not conducted as many tests as India has in this field.

The only thing I know is china succesfully tested our mid-course anti-missile tech in January by shooting down a ICBM, and indian failed his test recently bcoz the target missile has just disapeared. I dont know if recent failed indian test is mid-course or else, but I dont think indian has tested mid-course anti missile tech bcoz indian dont have ICBM now.

The only thing I know is china succesfully tested our mid-course anti-missile tech in January by shooting down a ICBM, and indian failed his test recently bcoz the target missile has just disapeared. I dont know if recent failed indian test is mid-course or else, but I dont think indian has tested mid-course anti missile tech bcoz indian dont have ICBM now.

indian anti ballistic missile system is a two tiered system consisting of two interceptor missiles, namely the Prithvi Air Defence (PAD) missile for high altitude interception(50-80 km), and the Advanced Air Defence (AAD) Missile for lower altitude interception(upto 30).

PAD test fired
november 2006-successful
march 6 2009-successful

AAD test fired
dec 6 2007-successful
march 15 2010-failed

and yes,this defence system can not stop any icbm more than a range of 5000 km.

but since u.s.a and u.k and france r not going to send an icbm toward us that is not a problem for us,we will develop that once this sheild is over

anyway agni 5 will b test fired in this yr end or early next yr that meana if it is successful we can soon expect a mid course interseption

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude. The details of the Chinese test conducted in January are not clear. And it will only be stupid to assume that China has successfully intercepted an ICBM, unless something concrete comes out.

The Indian ABM programme is very transperent, failure or success it is well publicised. Scores of tests of the Indian ABM programme have been a success and they are open for anyone to verify, unlike the Chinese tests of which nothing can be said with certanity.

Unless more details emerge, i can safely say that India is ahead in ABM tech. You guys have conducted a single test, we have conducted scores of successful tests. By that logic alone i have more confidence in the maturity & reliability of Indias ABM programme.

I do not think that Pakistan falled behind in SAM technologies. If It was only some European countries or USA which have those sort of technologies in World, I could agree on what this thread has implied but Turkey has also some similar programs that can compete with European rivals. European nations never accept a Muslim partner (Even If you are a secular democratic state) but We are talking about two nation calling eachothers like BROTHER. The people calling eachothers like brother should remember the real meaning of brotherhood, When They need eachothers (As our General Ilker Basbug told that The future of Pakistan is the future of Turkey) so I honestly want to type like "Pakistan-Turkey partnership program" about Turkish Air defence missile programs When I started introducing them in forums...

The people reading all those sentences and locating strategic positions in Pakistan Governmental Procurement System should pay attention to Turkish Air Defence Programs and They should make pressure on their officials to sign an agreement with Turkey to become %50 partner of those programs because Turkish officials never say a NO to Pakistan...

Last edited:
I do not think that Pakistan falled behind in SAM technologies. If It was only some European countries or USA which have those sort of technologies in World, I can agree on what this thread has implied but Turkey has also some similar programs that can compete with European rivals. European nations never accept a Muslim partner (Even If you are a secular democratic state) but We are talking about two nation called eachothers like BROTHER. The people calling eachother like brother should remind the meaning of brotherhood, When They need eachothers (As our General Ilker Basbug told that The future of Pakistan is the future of Turkey) so I honestly want to type like "Pakistan-Turkey partnership program" about Turkish Air defence missile programs When I started introducing them in forums...

The people reading all those sentences and locating strategic positions in Pakistan Governmental Procurement System should pay attention to Turkish Air Defence Programs and They should make pressure on their officials to sign an agreement with Turkey to become %50 partner of those programs because Turkish officials never say a NO to Pakistan...

I second that Cabatli:pakistan:

So can someone please shed light on which SAMs protect Pakistani cities and nuclear installations currently?

Back
Top Bottom