What's new

Why is Pakistan lagging behind in SAM and ABM technology?

I have also wondered this question for quite sometime.

And i have come to the conclusion that PAF doesn't believe in SAMs.

I mean PAF preffers fighters to defend air Space rather than SAMs.

This is the only explanation that can be derived from the lack of PAF enthusiasm for SAMs.

Not exactly. Pak would love to have SAMs and aircraft together. But this is where the sad part comes in. ie BUDGET.

Pak can either go for aircraft or SAM. Looking at current aircraft inventory, it is super important to buy more aircraft. PAF needs at least 200-300 aircraft in this decade. Almost 80% of its current inventory. Very expensive.

PAF can work without SAMs but not without aircraft.

I have also wondered this question for quite sometime.

And i have come to the conclusion that PAF doesn't believe in SAMs.

I mean PAF preffers fighters to defend air Space rather than SAMs.

This is the only explanation that can be derived from the lack of PAF enthusiasm for SAMs.

but tell me 1 thing can pakisstan defend its territory from ballistic and cruise missiles by just having fighters

Not exactly. Pak would love to have SAMs and aircraft together. But this is where the sad part comes in. ie BUDGET.

Pak can either go for aircraft or SAM. Looking at current aircraft inventory, it is super important to buy more aircraft. PAF needs at least 200-300 aircraft in this decade. Almost 80% of its current inventory. Very expensive.

PAF can work without SAMs but not without aircraft.

Exactly.PAF would love SAMs.But here come Bang for buck.

PAF believe in it's Pilots and Aircrafts can defend their AirSpace from Intruding aircraft better than SAMs.I mean SAM systems are expensive and looking from what happened during the gulf war it shows that no matter how much advanced SAMs you have they are still Prone to Jamming.

While on the other Hand fighters are not Prone to Jamming.

A SAM would be as good as it has been Made.

But on the Other hand a Fighter would be as good as the training of the Pilots flying it.

but tell me 1 thing can pakisstan defend its territory from ballistic and cruise missiles by just having fighters

Well if you are talking about a True ABM system.

Than my friend there doesn't exist a True ABM system.

Many Countries have tried to make an ABM system.But the Cost and reliability are just too important Factors.

So the Truth is even if we buy some heavy SAMs and even if we make Multiple layers that doesn't guarantee that every Missile would be shot down.

On the Other hand the cost to make such a system would probably be half the GDP of Pakistan.And even after spending so much money no guarantee of 100 % Protection.

Well if you are talking about a True ABM system.

Than my friend there doesn't exist a True ABM system.

Many Countries have tried to make an ABM system.But the Cost and reliability are just too important Factors.

So the Truth is even if we buy some heavy SAMs and even if we make Multiple layers that doesn't guarantee that every Missile would be shot down.

On the Other hand the cost to make such a system would probably be half the GDP of Pakistan.And even after spending so much money no guarantee of 100 % Protection.

yes u r right no abm's have 100% efficiancy but is not it better to have something then have nothing

yes u r right no abm's have 100% efficiancy but is not it better to have something then have nothing

Yes but the cost be build even the most simplest of the simple ABM would be astonishing effectively out of the reach of Pakistan.

Stick to the topic. I am talking to those who have their post deleted. Carry on please.

Thanks.

Pakistan has a good SAM. SPADA-2000 (ordered) will certainly boost that capability soon. Long range capability however is in question.

ABM is too expensive and unnecessary in the Pakistan's situation for now.

Well i and i expect so many of u will have read and seen the interview of Dr Samar Mubarakmand the main man behind pakistan's missiles tech... and he clearly said that ABM system in india pakistan context are of no use. because the time between launch and impact of a missile is 4 to 10 minutes and the distance as well is not much. So i think this shows why pakistan did not went for ABM, because the main man tells u that they are of no use and i also agree with dr samar mubarakmand although im not an expert.
and about SAM i think there is a need to develop long range SAM because every one remember the MIG25's in the 90's although they are not in indian service now but still we need better SAM system and we need to develop it. and we are buying spada and may be chinese HQ9 in future.

and he clearly said that ABM system in india pakistan context are of no use. because the time between launch and impact of a missile is 4 to 10 minutes and the distance as well is not much.

Well, he seems to be incorrect. When a missile is launched, it will be the radar to detect that missile and anti-ballistic missile systems are automated. ie a person doesn't have to activate it. As soon as the radar detects an incoming missile, the ABM would be launched. So it doesn't matter if the hostile missile takes 4 min or 10 min. The interceptor missile would be launched within seconds of detection of missile.

So it is vital to invest in ABM systems. It is one of the highest priorities of armies worldwide.

Well, he seems to be incorrect. When a missile is launched, it will be the radar to detect that missile and anti-ballistic missile systems are automated. ie a person doesn't have to activate it. As soon as the radar detects an incoming missile, the ABM would be launched. So it doesn't matter if the hostile missile takes 4 min or 10 min. The interceptor missile would be launched within seconds of detection of missile.

So it is vital to invest in ABM systems. It is one of the highest priorities of armies worldwide.

Well i think he knows better then me or you so i will accept his point.

One more point i think pakistan needs to focus on air to air missiles tech as well. and also on the ship and submarine lauched missiles.

Hi,
what are the prospects of Pakistan acquiring ft-2000, would be a great surprise if it is already with Pakistani armed forces, however i am also keen to know if Pakistan has intentions of developing a strong radar station which could warn of any incoming jets, missiles etc. That would help a lot incase of any misadventure by the enemy, and i think in this matter Pakistan should ask American assistance as it will also satisfy their concern that we wont be harming India with a couple of radars

It seems like Pakistan is lagging behind in Surface-to-air missile technology

Pakistan is Not behind in low altitude SAM systems because of Anza MKII and Recently aquired SPADA-2000 systems.

and we have yet to procure any Anti-Ballistic missile system!

Shouldn't we focus on advancing in such technologies?

We are Proceeding in the Right Direction in this aspect & we realize the changing scenarios dear sir.

The necessity for such systems is dire, as the nafarious elements in the region continue to up the ante in missile technology and defence. :azn:

Pakistan according to some " Sources " already has an undisclosed Number of Latest Chinese High altitude SAMs ie HQ9/HQ10 But please do not quote me on this as i can't / Won't provide the source.

As far as the ABM technology is concerned i would say make yourself a hot cup of cofee and wait for the right time , you won't be disappointed:coffee::pakistan:

Regards:

Hi,
please watch the video of Sweden's multi beam 3D active phased array radar, i wonder if Pakistan ever evaluated it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom