What's new

Why is Indian army training for ANA was so bad?

After you forced your way in as the IPKF unilaterally. You tried to be a super power in front of Sri Lankans and your own LTTE creation handed your arses back to you.

I know you dont want to revisit that part of your military history because it is so dark, painful and humiliating. But sometimes a reality check is usually needed to help you Indians self reflect.
What? Sri Lankan Parliament asked Indian Gov to withdraw IPKF and SL gov will handle it on their own, decades later they did, we banged the same LTTE in Maldives (Operation Cactus).

What? Sri Lankan Parliament asked Indian Gov to withdraw IPKF and SL gov will handle it on their own, decades later they did, we banged the same LTTE in Maldives (Operation Cactus).

RAW created LTTE and helped it to become a very strong terrorist group in Sri Lanka. As the momentum picked up, Indian Tamils asprired to become a seperate nation threatening Indian unity. So, india forced SL (Operation Poomalai) to sign a "Peace Accord" to disarm the LTTE but the LTTE was not a party to this peace accord thinking they owned the group. So, when the IPKF came in trying to disarm the LTTE, they resisted and many battles took place which hardened the LTTE resolve. Because of the brutality India imposed on the LTTE, one of the tigers decided to blow Rajiv Ghandi sky high. That is when India disengaged from LTTE and stopped its funding and IPKF retreated failing in its mission and leaving SL to defend itself.

Many years later, Pakistan helped Sri Lanka to decisively defeat LTTE.

Looks like India has very different curriculum in regards to the Sri Lankan civil war in contrast to what the world knows.

Last edited:
What kind of oppression happened before 1990 that you started giving weapons to them? Kashmiri pandits were ethnically cleansed by your trained insurgents, how many picked up guns out of those Kashmiri hindus?

Kashmir’s fed up by Indian misrule

Do some research from non Indian sources

It were the Sri Lankan Tamils not Indians.
Sorry mate, but that is such a narrow view of your own history. The Tamil diaspora are the ones that would have sought secession which included India. I can not believe you do not know that and here you are debating this with me.

How so? Mere training and a unit of MBRL.
Lets take your point as is, that is quite a remarkable military feat...dont you think? I mean, you are inherently acknowledging that such a large force of the IPKF which also included the indian air force were completely useless against the LTTE but Pakistan's training to SL and a single MBRL stopped the LTTE? You have such a flawed understanding of what kind of assistance Pakistan provided to SL and I can not be bothered to educate you on this.

Anyway, I can see first hand how limited your knowledge is on the matter. Come back to debate once you read this part of your history from more impartial sources.

You out number and out gun us. An invading force needs 3:1 advantage

In general Indian army is about average, slight better than Egyptian.

Pakistan solders in general are more professional, skilled, displined and have a very good officer corps that takes cares of it's lower ranks.

Indian army in some units has very poor relations between officer and soldiers.
Okay.
But the question still stands (apparently noone is able to answer it):

Why Pakistan Army (that is more professional, skilled, displined and have a very good officer corps that takes cares of it's lower ranks) not able to take Kashmir from the Indian Army (that is about average, slightly better than Egyptians, weak and ineffectively trained, also it has very poor relations between officer and soldiers)?

False.

You have an army there because no body in Kashmir wants to live with you.
I'm sorry if you believe that.
I wonder why Kashmiris wanted to live with India before 1990 and then suddenly all changed overnight!
While you think about that, think about this: If there is a succession movement by a bunch if people, which country is gonna sit idle and do nothing about it?

Who said Indian Army is not trained? this thread is about ANA and their training by Indians. There is a difference. Stop getting triggered by such posts and coming here to troll.
Indian Army training the Sri Lankans or ANA was pathetic, at least that's what the thread is about.

Does this not mean that the way IA trains is weak and ineffective? Or do you mean that IA training is good but those who were trained (ANA or Sri Lankans) were good for nothing?

Sorry mate, but that is such a narrow view of your own history. The Tamil diaspora are the ones that would have sought secession which included India. I can not believe you do not know that and here you are debating this with me.

Lets take your point as is, that is quite a remarkable military feat...dont you think? I mean, you are inherently acknowledging that such a large force of the IPKF which also included the indian air force were completely useless against the LTTE but Pakistan's training to SL and a single MBRL stopped the LTTE? You have such a flawed understanding of what kind of assistance Pakistan provided to SL and I can not be bothered to educate you on this.

Anyway, I can see first hand how limited your knowledge is on the matter. Come back to debate once you read this part of your history from more impartial sources.
Do specify your “help”

1629278523997.png

Indian army also trained Sadams Iraq army and every one knows how they did , same like the afghan army ,

Indian Army training the Sri Lankans or ANA was pathetic, at least that's what the thread is about.

Does this not mean that the way IA trains is weak and ineffective? Or do you mean that IA training is good but those who were trained (ANA or Sri Lankans) were good for nothing?
Firstly the Sri lanka army at the time could have defeated the ltte easily in 1987 after the we cornered the ltte in small portion of the north east and prabakaran fled to tIndia, if it was not for the government halting the operation for cease fire and the Indian air force dropping supplies and weapons for the ltte claming humanitarian relief and our troops being told not to engage the Indians

India never trained Sri lankan soldiers in any significant capacity until 1990

China never trained Sri lankan troops just helped with weapons and at the un

Pakistan did help train the armed forces but it was similar to Israel training not any large scale change in the armed forces

The Sri lankan army could have ended the ltte numerous times but our leaders wanted a political solution so kept holding troop advancement and agreed to 3 peace deals

It was only after president rajapaksa came in and promised total destruction of the ltte that the army launched a fully fledged offensive and completely wiped out the ltte and killed all their leader in 2 and a half years

Funny how Pakistan cant wipe out your untrained tribal insurgency armed with ak 47 and sandals but try to comment on an Sri lanka army that defeated a terror group with a air force ,a navy and entire suicide division, sam , anti aircraft guns, submarines, suicide planes and main battle tanks
And the ltte that massacred false super power India troops with help from Sri lankan intelligence
And importantly supported financially from the eu and us and Canada and directly armed and trained by India
And while the un and the west directly threatening Sri lanka to stop the war and us even threatening military action
And after all completely wiping out a the ltte

After that You want comment on the capability Sri lanka army
We asked you didn't so we go together with the ltte remarked them and massacred you troops

Firstly the Sri lanka army at the time could have defeated the ltte easily in 1987 after the we cornered the ltte in small portion of the north east and prabakaran fled to tIndia, if it was not for the government halting the operation for cease fire and the Indian air force dropping supplies and weapons for the ltte claming humanitarian relief and our troops being told not to engage the Indians

India never trained Sri lankan soldiers in any significant capacity until 1990

China never trained Sri lankan troops just helped with weapons and at the un

Pakistan did help train the armed forces but it was similar to Israel training not any large scale change in the armed forces

The Sri lankan army could have ended the ltte numerous times but our leaders wanted a political solution so kept holding troop advancement and agreed to 3 peace deals

It was only after president rajapaksa came in and promised total destruction of the ltte that the army launched a fully fledged offensive and completely wiped out the ltte and killed all their leader in 2 and a half years
My dear sir, you misunderstood me. I never claimed India trained SL army.

I was merely replying to a guy who didnt seem to understand the context of what is written in the OP.

I'm glad SL army finished off the LTTE once and for all. If anything, I am one of those who believe that India should learn from SL on how to take down the terrorists.

Good day!

Do specify your “help”

Just look for impartial sources on the subject i.e. not authored by any Indian (civilian or military) and you will start learning heaps of the history filtered in your schooling curriculum on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom