What's new

Why is Bollywood dominated by Khatris?

India is indeed diverse, and I personally appreciate that very much.

However, once out of the big city bubble, we see a lot of tribalism amongst the many diverse groups.

It is unwise to label all these 'tribalists' as primitive and bigoted people, their behaviour is just base animal instincts/human nature.

Ultimately, I think Indians of all stripes will stick together and rough out periods of political instability but certain foreign influences on some of these groups must be contained.

Honestly, I'm quite lost with the point you are making.
I value diversity and unity...as do you based on your first sentence.

After that is a tangent I did not touch. So not sure what the crux of the argument is. I don't remember mentioning any tribalism or referring to any humans as primitive. That is against everything I believe in.
Please explain.

If each of these states was allowed to flourish, I am sure they would have been much richer than they currently are, India has proved to be diabolical for these nations, I bet Tamil Nadu would have been far richer than it currently is.Kudos
Yeah, the coastline states will be rich. Who knows, it's all an alternate history. More if's and will be.

How exactly?! Please provide your game plan for how these states will "flourish" individually.

The collective nation of India is the fastest growing economy in the world. Our collective identity makes us a huge market of consumers and investment. Individually, this would not be possible.
I feel like many of you are simply projecting your biases here.

Land sharing, water sharing, trade routes, access to ports, foreign relations are all things to be considered with individual states. It would be a nightmare to be in that scenario!
A divided India would simply become a playground for powers. Much like what Afghanistan is today.
For starters they would not get involved wars and arms races with different nations, their would be peace and tranquility in the region, hence improved trade etc,,,,,,,India has proved to be a disaster of epic proportions, hundreds and hundreds of millions are living in worse conditions than sub-Saharan Africa all whilst the rich continue to get richer on the backs of the poor, NO, no..... no this has to stop for the sake of humanity.

Honestly, I'm quite lost with the point you are making.
I value diversity and unity...as do you based on your first sentence.

After that is a tangent I did not touch. So not sure what the crux of the argument is. I don't remember mentioning any tribalism or referring to any humans as primitive. That is against everything I believe in.
Please explain.
Not an argument, just an observation.

There is much zealotry in our country right now, and it comes from all quarters.

I thought my original point was simple enough, outside of the middle/upper middle/rich class in the major metros, where everything and everyone gets along swimmingly for the most part.. there is trouble brewing in parts of the hinterland where tribalists of all stripes are entrenching themselves deeper in their feces.. and certain foreign powers are ready to strike the match that ignites the flames.

We need to be very vigilant and careful.

For starters they would not get involved wars and arms races with different nations, their would be peace and tranquility in the region, hence improved trade etc,,,,,,,India has proved to be a disaster of epic proportions, hundreds and hundreds of millions are living in worse conditions than sub-Saharan Africa all whilst the rich continue to get richer on the backs of the poor, NO, no..... no this has to stop for the sake of humanity.

I beg to differ.
You're completely discounting the fact that there would be "inter" state rivalry, discord, on land, resources, water.
I mean the whole partition was supposed to bring peace no? Indians and muslims governing themselves? What happened to that experiment?! Is South Asia at peace?!

If anything, India is the only horse one would bet on in the subcontinent. It is the only state that has maintained relative peace within its border, has a semi functioning rule of law and democracy and not to forget an economy that is thriving.

Let me ask you something, and be honest.
Do you subscribe to the same multi-state solution for Pakistan?! I mean Pakistan faces the same issues as India wrt. Poverty, infrastructure, minority rights etc. Why aren't you recommending that Sindh, Balochistan, Punjab, KPK become independent states? Why not start this experiment at home?
You cant tell me that there isn't rivalry or accusation of unequal resources being provided to one state (Punjab) over the others (Balochistan)...In fact this has been in the news quite a bit?
And honestly, this is not a ruse. Its a genuine question. Why only India? What makes Pakistan so different in its situation from India?

Why is Bollywood everyone in Bollywood Khatri and everything has some sort of Punjabi theme/connection? Why don't they make films that star and have to do with the rest of our cultures?

I had also this question in mind. However I come to my 3 points conclusion.

1. Major production houses are owned by Khatris. e.g. Yashraj Films, Mahesh Bhatt [MONEY]
2. Punjabis especially Khatri are relatively open attitude towards Music and acting as career.In UP and Bihar such artists are ridiculed as Bhaands,Nachayiya etc [CULTURE]
3. Punjabi especially Khatris looks 'good' compare to average Indian from UP and Bihar.[LOOKS]

Punjabisation of Bollywood started during 90's when local money dried up and movies were financed by NRIs. Those NRIs were majorly Punjabis. This was the time when movies started to shoot on foreign locations and has concerned around issues of NRIs. for e.g. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge,Pardes.

In essence whoever pays for movies got their culture imposed on Bollywood.

India is a federation of states in the subcontinent. Almost like EU, except that it calls itself a country (for some blah blah reason) Ethnic borders have been dissolved (because apparently we all are the same people lol) with people mixing like crazy. With the current rates of migration miscegenation, one won't be able to tell apart an Indian Punjabi from a Tamil in the near future :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

Last edited:
Not an argument, just an observation.

There is much zealotry in our country right now, and it comes from all quarters.

I thought my original point was simple enough, outside of the middle/upper middle/rich class in the major metros, where everything and everyone gets along swimmingly for the most part.. there is trouble brewing in parts of the hinterland where tribalists of all stripes are entrenching themselves deeper in their feces.. and certain foreign powers are ready to strike the match that ignites the flames.

We need to be very vigilant and careful.

Your point is fair.
But that is the beauty of unity in diversity, no?!
That the issues of the "other" are solved collectively as a unit. No man left behind.

Yes there are faultlines, but there are also factors that bring us together. Politics in India tends to focus on the divisions rather than the commonalities. And that I think is the biggest problem. Our internal politics.
Outside powers can only take advantage of these because we make these faultlines so pronounced and focus less on our commonalities.
We remove these and we will face no external threat.
But yes, in the current situation, your point stands.

India is a federation of states in the subcontinent. Almost like EU, except that it calls itself a country (for some blah blah reason) Ethnic borders have been dissolved (because apparently we all are the same people lol) with people mixing like crazy. With the current rates of migration miscegenation, I fear one won't be able to tell apart an Indian Punjabi from a Tamil in the near future lmao

Wait a minute, did you just find a "final solution" to racism?
A country of people that all look alike? I think personally, I would like an India like that.
Person of every caste, religion, ethnicity to mix!

I like where you're heads at!

Stop derailing my thread with your south Indian stuff. Idc and it has nothing to do with my original question.

It is sad to see that people are discussing everything under the Sun except thread topic. Delusions!

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:60 insurgencies say otherwise:rofl::rofl::dance3::dance3::lol::lol::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

It seems your only purpose is to troll.
Is that the only part of my post that you want to respond to?!
Do you have nothing else to defend your position?!

But to state my position on the matter:
60 insurgencies and the collective violence killed less people in a year than one year in a "homogenous" and peaceful Pakistan.
So I ask you again, which part of relative peace within boundaries are you disputing?

Back
Top Bottom