What's new

Bangladeshi patriotic song ripped apart by Bollywood, criticisms from both sides of border

Species

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Nazrul exponents protest at ‘distortion’ of Karar Oi Louho Kapat

Nazrul exponents in Bangladesh protested against the rendition of Nazrul song Karar Oi Louho Kapat composed by AR Rahman for the Indian film Pippa, which premiered on the OTT platform Amazon Prime Video on November 10.

The exponents said that Rahman distorted the original musical notations of the iconic protest song, written and composed by national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam, and demanded the removal of the song from the film and online platforms.

They made the remarks at a press conference organised by Bangladesh Nazrul Sangeet Sangstha at the Kabi Nazrul Institute in Dhanmondi in the capital on Saturday.

General secretary of the BNSS Khairul Anam Shakil, Nazrul exponent Sadya Afreen Mallick, veteran Nazrul singer Shaheen Samad, singer Bulbul Islam and Kazi Nazrul Islam’s granddaughter Mistee Kazi, among others, were present at the programme.

Khairul Anam Shakil said, ‘The song, written by composed by Nazrul, is contained in the book Bhangar Gan. In 1949, Girin Chakraborty lent his voice to the song. It has been used in many films following the original musical notation. It inspired countless during the War of Independence.’

‘We protest against the distortion of the original composition. It should be removed from all online platforms,’ he added.

Sadya Afreen Mallick said, ‘AR Rahman is a renowned composer. I found what he did completely baffling.’

Shaheen Samad said, ‘I became sad and upset at the same time after I listened to the song composed by Rahman for the first time. I protest against the distortion of the original composition.’

Bulbul Islam said, ‘Nazrul’s creations should not be distorted. The song should be removed from the film.’

Misti Kazi expressed dissatisfaction on behalf of the poet’s family and urged prime minister Sheikh Hasina to take steps in this regard.

Besides, Rashedul Islam, Sujit Mustafa, Yesmin Mustari and others were present at the conference.

Pippa, which revolves around the conflict between India and Pakistan in 1971, has been directed by Raja Krishna Menon.

The film stars Ishaan Khatter, Mrunal Thakur, Priyanshu Painyuli, Soni Razdan, Inaamulhaq, Kamal Sadanah and others.

Original song

Bollywood version

Back
Top Bottom