What's new

Why is bicycle not popular in Pakistan?

Pakistani's are too lazy. The culture resolves around praying, coming home to sleep the day and then eating sweet food, fatty food. Then praying. Then sleeping again.

Anything requiring physical effort is to be avoided at all costs.

I was going to say the same

People associate bicycle with poor people. They are lazy and discourage any kind of physical effort. Unless you have a bakery or pharmacy they will open shop at 11am and close around 5-6pm and hardly have a social life outside their area so the bike is not needed
Wondering whether the government should help promote the idea that bicycle is associated with hard working and industrious people rather than poverty. I suppose some posters would help change people‘s perception a bit over time.

I do agree that it may not work everywhere in Pakistan due to hot weather and road condition.

I use it but for exercise purposes. Sometimes to get and buy stuff from market close by

I was going to say the same

People associate bicycle with poor people. They are lazy and discourage any kind of physical effort. Unless you have a bakery or pharmacy they will open shop at 11am and close around 5-6pm and hardly have a social life outside their area so the bike is not needed

You guys all seem to know some privileged people.

I thought my cousins were lazy, but they would work in the fields even in the height of summer, a working day in construction is all hours of daylight for them and my uncles grocery shop was opened from Fajr will 11pm.

HHow do these people who not work long hours survive?

Yes I can see lot of them on the road. Certainly they are superior than bicycle in terms of speed and load. However they are an upgrade from bicycle and not everyone can afford one. Why would people have bicycle before upgrading to motorcycles?
Almost everyone can afford a used 70cc.

Electric motorcycle is a better choice.

Cheap electric motorcycles cost only about $60 and can travel 40 km on a charge, the max speed is 40km/h.

A better electric motorcycle can travel 300 km at a time, the max speed is 80km/h.

IMG_20220718_193126.jpg

Electric motorcycle is a better choice.

Cheap electric motorcycles cost only about $60 and can travel 40 km on a charge, the max speed is 40km/h.

A better electric motorcycle can travel 300 km at a time, the max speed is 80km/h.

View attachment 862948
What is the battery chemistry used for the cheaper electric bikes? How expensive are they to replace? How long will they last before replacement? :unsure:

What is the battery chemistry used for the cheaper electric bikes? How expensive are they to replace? How long will they last before replacement? :unsure:
Cheap electric motorcycles use lead-acid batteries, with an expected service life of two years.
Better electric motorcycles use lithium batteries, and the expected service life is 3 to 10 years. According to the different quality of lithium batteries, the service life gap is also large.
I don't know the cost of replacing the battery.

Last edited:
I believe hybrid and electric cars are the future.

Nevertheless Geely should sell their cars in Pakistan for 15% cheaper than the western and Japanese cars to boost the Pakistani economy.

Electric cars are the eventual future. People are really getting fed up with all the oil price spikes/politics which are beyond their control interupting their lives. A worldwide anti-gasoline revolt is looming on the horizon.

There is going to be a day when batteries will be rechargeable enough times to last a person a lifetime. People will be pulling battery packs out of their old cars and putting them into their new ones just like they do with cordless tools and thus cutting costs dramatically.

Last edited:
I read a old Chinese novel recently, which talks about the importance bicycle in Chinese daily life back in 80s. Bicycle is reasonably affordable and would significantly improved people’s mobility. Most importantly It doesn’t consume any fuel to run apart from man power. It is a wonderful transportation tool for people in developing nations to improve life quality and productivity. I am talking about work horse bicycle like the ones in the old photo below, not fancy mountain bike.

View attachment 862829

I could be wrong but from what I see, bicycle is not that popular in Pakistani society. I know there are lot of motorcycles but it is an upgrade to bicycle rather than a substitute. What is the reason for that? Is it due to lack of availability or something else?

Once it was a popular way of transportation during till the decade of 70s but later people abandon it due to the availability of a better choice of motorcycle. Soon in 80s bicycles start disappearing and being replaced.
IMO, the main factor of abandoning the bicycle is that it is slow moving mean and as a nation, a crucial characteristic in our lives is we are ignorant of the importance of time, hence we usually react and rose to the occasions at the very last moments, be it a marriage party or funeral. To use a bicycle one has to plan ahead, so the bicycle loses its significance as a means of transport. Further, the corrupt system also pushed us more towards an 'imported' fuel-based economy as many became billionaires resulting from kickbacks based on fuel and its infrastructure.

In below picture, you could see one of the dictators in Pakistan using a bicycle in the decade of 80s:
1658157644134.jpeg

Electric cars are the eventual future. People are really getting fed up with all the oil price spikes/politics which are beyond their control interupting their lives. A worldwide anti-gasoline revolt is looming on the horizon.

There is going to be a day when batteries will be rechargeable enough times to last a person a lifetime. People will be pulling battery packs out of their old cars and putting them into their new ones just like they do with cordless tools and thus cutting costs dramatically.

The revolutionary era of lithium battery has come.

Charging takes only 10 minutes, and the whole vehicle can be realized 1000 Km range.

I read a old Chinese novel recently, which talks about the importance bicycle in Chinese daily life back in 80s. Bicycle is reasonably affordable and would significantly improved people’s mobility. Most importantly It doesn’t consume any fuel to run apart from man power. It is a wonderful transportation tool for people in developing nations to improve life quality and productivity. I am talking about work horse bicycle like the ones in the old photo below, not fancy mountain bike.

View attachment 862829

I could be wrong but from what I see, bicycle is not that popular in Pakistani society. I know there are lot of motorcycles but it is an upgrade to bicycle rather than a substitute. What is the reason for that? Is it due to lack of availability or something else?
I have been riding this classic Phoenix bicycle since 2003. I still use it today. In fact, it`s my only mode of intracity transportation.

P.S. Photo is just for reference.

4a6398b8ac9f7d298380ee78ce6a3749--phoenix-motorcycles.jpg

because in pakistan they make shitty bike and want first world price.

Pakistani's are too lazy. The culture resolves around praying, coming home to sleep the day and then eating sweet food, fatty food. Then praying. Then sleeping again.

that is jihad, rioting burning down businesses, tax avoiding, bribing, hating/ demonstrations, praying, make babies, fart, sleep, eat a plate of cheap rice from noon party for vote, piss on the road from rooftop, back to sleep.

my friend got sur ron e bike its goes 60mph very fast. cost him 3 bag but it is fun. Makes no noise good for criminals.

buy up old laptop batteries now, you will make very good profit, they have 18650 batteries that are used in e bike battery packs.

Last edited:

View attachment 862829

Because Q league is not popular in pakistan since musharaff outsed from power .
images.jpeg-22.jpg

Plus this for those who get it:

:-)

Such things already existed in the seventies - they were called Mopeds (Motorcycle with Pedals included). Some are electric too.

"Motorcycles with up to 50 cc (3.1 cu in) petrol engines or 0.6 kW (0.82 PS; 0.80 bhp) rated power generators are classified Motorized bicycle (原動機付自転車, gendoukitsuki-jitensha). The drivers must be older than 16, get the driving license, register the vehicles and wear helmets. Car driving license holders also can drive them. The legally maximum speed is 30 km/h (19 mph)."

965px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg

" Produced by U.S. manufacturers such as American Machine and Foundry (AMF), mopeds had very small engines and often could not exceed 30 mph (48 km/h). What they could do, however, was run for up to 220 miles (350 km) on one tank of fuel. Because of the problems caused by the 1970s energy crisis, mopeds quickly became popular, with more than 250,000 people in the United States owning one in 1977. However, as gasoline prices eventually moved down, licensing laws took their toll, and automobile companies devised more efficient cars, the moped's popularity began to fade."

Most electric mopeds nowadays are of two types,

a) Bicycles with batteries which are lightweight (and have pedals)

b) Electric scooties which look like VESPA scooters which are a bit heavier and faster. These have no pedals whatsoever.
I know about those but I was saying for Pakistan. Someone who can start such company in Pakistan for Pakistani market.

Back
Top Bottom