What's new

Why India cannot be an Asian power like China

Although China opened up their economy way earlier than India, but I believe India has an edge in the long run in the areas of innovation and intellectual capital. Chinese have been long known to have restricted open competition and promote their local companies. Although it maybe beneficial to the local workforce in the short run to gain strong hold, but I feel that a true open economy encourages global competition which in turn fuels innovation.

Another very important fact emerging from the Indian democracy is the number of young people in politics. The current parliament has the lowest average age of politicians. It is this force which will drive a liberalization in Indian political and bureaucratic system in the near future. We are already seeing signs of change in the dynamics (I agree there is a long way to go, but it is a powerful start). Participation of more youths in the governance will bring in the work discipline and ethics which millions of young Indians enjoy in the private workforce. With China's aging population (compared to India) and communism, some of the dynamics which are fundamental to a free and open economy are absent. Competition has always driven Innovation and it is this very fact which I believe will drive the Indian economy beyond the short term gains.

Although China opened up their economy way earlier than India, but I believe India has an edge in the long run in the areas of innovation and intellectual capital. Chinese have been long known to have restricted open competition and promote their local companies. Although it maybe beneficial to the local workforce in the short run to gain strong hold, but I feel that a true open economy encourages global competition which in turn fuels innovation.

Another very important fact emerging from the Indian democracy is the number of young people in politics. The current parliament has the lowest average age of politicians. It is this force which will drive a liberalization in Indian political and bureaucratic system in the near future. We are already seeing signs of change in the dynamics (I agree there is a long way to go, but it is a powerful start). Participation of more youths in the governance will bring in the work discipline and ethics which millions of young Indians enjoy in the private workforce. With China's aging population (compared to India) and communism, some of the dynamics which are fundamental to a free and open economy are absent. Competition has always driven Innovation and it is this very fact which I believe will drive the Indian economy beyond the short term gains.

It is China's strategy in the short run, but once we finish developing, there will be reforms within the govt to promote free trade.

If india wants to become an asian power..then it have be self-reliant first like china...purchasing weapons can make u strong but not super power or asian power

India's young population will grow old in future. In 40~50years time, India will tired down by the aging population too. Population must be kept in check.

India simply do not have such vision!

It is China's strategy in the short run, but once we finish developing, there will be reforms within the govt to promote free trade.

No one is saying China is short sighted. In fact teir entire economics rise has been meticulously planned. If you want evidence jus look at their Double digit growth.

But you have a growing demographic problem, With a largely shirking workforce, due to the one child policy.

A gender gap with only 1/3 of the population being women.

This means that 20 years down the line. China cant still be a Labor intensive economy. Less labor means more demand for labor. That means labor cost go up as people are paid more to attract labor.

Now combine that with the fact that China's Yuan is largely undervalued. When i finally does get valued according.
The new exchange rates combined with Rising labor costs, will make china seem less favorable as manufacturing destination. And exports could go down.

Its not going to be easy for to China planes to maintain its growth rate to 2030, primarily as an export driven economy.

By all means China will continue to grow, there is no argument against that. Its simply a matter of how fast it will grow.

and this is the basis by which some analysts , can see a opportunity for India to steam ahead. Given that by the Time China might start to slow down as it were. The India economy could find its 5th gear(infrastructure development ) and steam ahead.

China has defied the odds before and might do so again. its simply to early to tell. China's growth has not even peaked yet, and what we are talking about is 10 to 15 years down the line.

Why should India have to be anything like anybody ?

All nations have their own agenda & vision where they see themselves now & in the yrs ahead.

India & China have their own systems & visions.

Why should India have to be anything like anybody ?

All nations have their own agenda & vision where they see themselves now & in the yrs ahead.

India & China have their own systems & visions.

You are absolutely right Bro, It is too early to project power for India.
India first has to develop its infrastructure and work force to develop economically and compete with already established countries like China.
Right now India is facing terrorism and border threats, India has to find the solution. India cannot progress without nullifying these threats.
No need to project power too early :cheers:

All India doing is a right thing by not being aggressive(at the same time defending its interests) and keeping its diplomacy card intact.
:yahoo:

You are absolutely right Bro, It is too early to project power for India.
India first has to develop its infrastructure and work force to develop economically and compete with already established countries like China.
Right now India is facing terrorism and border threats, India has to find the solution. India cannot progress without nullifying these threats.
No need to project power too early :cheers:

All India doing is a right thing by not being aggressive(at the same time defending its interests) and keeping its diplomacy card intact.
:yahoo:

Besides ,

Why should there always be a comparison ? India is India while Ch is Ch.

Both have their own agendas & plans.....the ultimate aim being the well being of themselves & their people.

i see, so that is the reason for the large disparity gap between china and india, that is simply incurable.

Power and influence are not given. They are taken. China knows how to take it, India [ Images ] does not, says strategic expert B Raman.

A few observations on the eve of Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh [ Images ] visit to the United States from November 23 to 26.

No thinking has been ever done in India as to what it expects out of a long-term strategic relationship with the US. It is always the US which decides what it will give to India and it is New Delhi [ Images ] which accepts.

It was so with the nuclear deal which was offered by then US President George W Bush [ Images ] in July 2005. Manmohan Singh was pleasantly surprised when Bush offered it and then we followed it up. India's expectations from the US in the past were limited to US pressure on Pakistan to stop using terrorism against India, removal of restrictions on the supply of modern dual-use technology to India and US support for India's permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council.

They remain the same. Any strategic relationship has to be a quid pro quo relationship. Since the US has hardly any dependence on India in any matter, there is no scope for any quid pro quo.

India visualises itself as an Asian power on par with China. Beijing [ Images ] does not see it this way. China views India as a sub-regional Asian power and wants to keep its influence restricted to its immediate neighbourhood. US president Barack Obama's [ Images ] visit to China has uncomfortably brought out to India that there is a convergence of perceptions between China and the Obama Administration on the limited regional role of India.

China's pre-eminence has been recognised by Obama. Obama has re-hyphenated India-Pakistan relations and quietly relegated India to the role of a sub-regional power whose aspirations of having a status on par with China are unrealistic.

In geopolitical matters, there is no futuristic thinking in India. The quality of Indian thinking and analysis -- strategic and tactical -- is poor. What passes for analysis in India is just wishful-thinking.

Nobody in India has realised and brought out that for the first time the US, Japan [ Images ] and Australia [ Images ] have a leadership which does not rate highly India's potential as an emerging power. There is less and less talk of Chindia. Even today, many in India are not aware that the new Japanese government is not as enthusiastic about India as the previous government was. There has been no exercise in India to analyse future scenarios in US-Japan relationship.

Someone once said that power and influence are not given. They are taken. China has shown how to take it. India does not have the political will and courage to fight for it and take it. It is hoping that the US will give it. Bush and Condoleezza Rice [ Images ] seemed inclined to bestow on India the status of an Asian power on par with China. The Obama Administration does not seem to be so inclined.

Why India cannot be an Asian power like China: Rediff.com India News

A superpower is a title thats rightfully taken. Now I am not saying this in context of being a pakistani, but if i was a bystander i would ask India, if you claim to be a super power, why do you need to go and complain to the states about Pakistan ? shouldn't you be able to take care of it yourself ?

As far as I think, india thinks or rather aspires to be a super power by looking at its massive economy or military, but that doesnt make it a superpower... what its lacking is actually the thinking of a superpower, its inability to make decisions like a superpower.

A superpower is a title thats rightfully taken. Now I am not saying this in context of being a pakistani, but if i was a bystander i would ask India, if you claim to be a super power, why do you need to go and complain to the states about Pakistan ? shouldn't you be able to take care of it yourself ?

As far as I think, india thinks or rather aspires to be a super power by looking at its massive economy or military, but that doesnt make it a superpower... what its lacking is actually the thinking of a superpower, its inability to make decisions like a superpower.

Agreed.. yes we aspire to be a super power.. one of them at least if not "THE ONE". Aspirations is what drives nation to excel and outdo what their previous generations have accomplished. And aspire we will till we achieve it.. India is big with BIG problems with no simple solutions.. but we are determined and are on the right path. It might take a few decades but the light to make the dream of being a developed nation has been light in our hearts.. One day we would achieve it even if it is at "elephants" pace and not the "dragons pace" but one day my friend we shall achieve and the dream of my idol and hero APJ Abdul Kalam would come true!! :smokin:

But......India already has !

Agreed.. yes we aspire to be a super power.. one of them at least if not "THE ONE".

THIS is what i was talking about bro, even if you will be ONE of the superpowers, you cant even be that unless you strive for THE ONLY superpower... you have the resources, the military, the workforce, the economy... first thing you have to do is forget Pakistan and more importantly make Pakistan let go of you, until this feud isnt settled there is no superpower future for you and there is no prosperous future for us... its an endless race, china isn't our friend however it will do whatever it can to keep us in that race and same goes for you and the states. China and US have their own interests and we are just part of those interests.

THIS is what i was talking about bro, even if you will be ONE of the superpowers, you cant even be that unless you strive for THE ONLY superpower... you have the resources, the military, the workforce, the economy... first thing you have to do is forget Pakistan and more importantly make Pakistan let go of you, until this feud isnt settled there is no superpower future for you and there is no prosperous future for us... its an endless race, china isn't our friend however it will do whatever it can to keep us in that race and same goes for you and the states. China and US have their own interests and we are just part of those interests.

... Bravo !!

Back
Top Bottom