What's new

Why I wear a Burqa: Burqa gives protection and respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S.Asim close the thread:D

Ya i think the same, enough have been said and anybody who wants to understand have enough material to act or not to act. Only the same stuff keeps appearing and now most are just looking for the bone.

After 20 years of intense political and social debate, Italy amended its antiquated rape laws three years ago, toughening the punishment for sexual assault and reclassifying it from a moral offense to a criminal felony. That long-awaited change was widely viewed not just as a feminist victory, but also as a sign that Italian society had overcome old biases and deeply entrenched cultural taboos.

Then came the ''denim defense,'' or what Italian lawmakers are calling the ''jeans alibi'' -- a court ruling that suggested that a woman cannot be raped if she is wearing jeans because, the ruling contended, they are impossible to remove unless she helps. That decision -- and the country's reaction to it -- has reopened an angry debate about rape and about how judges view sexual assault.
A group of female lawmakers are on an open-ended ''jeans strike.'' They say they will wear jeans to Parliament until the decision is changed. In a kind of media deja vu, Italian newspapers, television and radio talk shows are holding impassioned discussions on a subject that many believed was resolved years ago.

The issue moved into the public spotlight last week, when the third division of the Supreme Court of Appeals in Rome released the text of a November ruling that overturned a 34-month sentence for rape in southern Italy. Among other things, the court stated that ''jeans cannot be removed easily and certainly it is impossible to pull them off if the victim is fighting against her attacker with all her force.''

That was but one of several arguments that led the court to order a new trial for the defendant. But the point about jeans set off an explosive reaction. Alessandra Mussolini, a conservative member of Parliament and the granddaughter of Benito Mussolini, along with female lawmakers from other political parties, donned jeans and held a protest inside Parliament.

The court ruling continues to dominate public discussion, and mockery. In Rome and in Naples over the weekend, shop owners began waggishly marketing ''anti-rape jeans'' as St. Valentine's Day gifts.

In the case on which the court ruled, an 18-year-old woman brought an accusation of rape in 1992 against her 45-year-old driving instructor in the small town of Muro Lucano, 60 miles from Naples. She said that during a driving lesson, he drove her to an isolated spot, forced her to get out, and raped her. He contended that they had consensual sex in the car.

He was tried and convicted of a lesser charge, indecent exposure in a public place. She appealed, and he was convicted on all charges. But the appeals court threw out that conviction and ordered a new trial, which has yet to be scheduled.

Ms. Mussolini helped draft the 1996 law that replaced ones written in the fascist era in the 1930's, under her grandfather's rule, which viewed rape as a ''crime of honor'' against the victim's family. Among other things, under the old laws a defendant could avoid punishment by agreeing to marry the victim or proving that she had many other sexual experiences.

Ms. Mussolini said she was ''outraged'' by the recent ruling. ''That decision seemed like it came from 50 years ago,'' she said. ''The judges obviously have no sensitivity to the psychology of rape -- no understanding of how victims think or how real life works.''

Politicians of all parties and virtually all of Italy's columnists and television commentators have echoed her indignation.

Aldo Rizzo, who wrote the ruling and is one of the five judges who made it, said he was shocked by the reaction, which he said misunderstood the court's intent. ''Of course, saying that a woman can't be raped if she wears jeans is stupid, it's ridiculous, it's cretinous,'' Judge Rizzo said angrily. ''That's not what our ruling meant. We merely found that the appeals court had not provided sufficient evidence to uphold the sentence. There were holes in their argument and it was our duty to point out the inconsistencies.''

One inconsistency the judges noted was the fact that the afternoon of the rape, the victim returned to the driving school for a driving theory lesson. But there were other arguments raised by the court that proved just as inflammatory as the one about jeans.

The court said, ''It should be noted that it is instinctive, especially for a young woman, to oppose with all her strength the person who wants to rape her. And it is illogical to say that a young woman would passively submit to a rape, which is a grave violence, for fear of undergoing other hypothetical and no more serious offenses to her physical safety.''

That reasoning, which infuriated most Italians, did not surprise Simonetta Sotjiu. She is one of 10 female judges who serve on the Supreme Court, which is dominated by its 410 male judges.

''The law is solidly in the hands of men,'' she told the newspaper La Repubblica. ''Many of them think in a way that is completely detached from reality.''

Ruling on Tight Jeans and Rape Sets Off Anger in Italy - The New York Times

now what do you have to say.....you know i believe in a prison you don't have "religious" boys of the society unless it is supposedly guantanamo bay....but other than that...prison is messed up...and rape happens everywhere in the world....she wore a "burqa" to avoid rape i guess she needs to tell the italian government something

A society that has grown to objectify women not wearing a burqa is wrong. Temptations are everywhere, real men rise above it. The weak try to change others rather than themselves.

It actually come as a shock and surprize to me - that women even today are forced to wear burqua - I guess - once i get married and i will ask my wife to wear this veil - i will just get a black eye for 5 days and will have to sleep on couch for whole month.

Burqa prevented rape: Leslie

c83a0f4da6fec8a73d51ec76ae5046a0.jpg

"When I put on the burqa, people were more respectful" ... Michelle Leslie.

Model Michelle Leslie wore a burqa during her stay in a Balinese prison on drugs charges to avoid being raped, she says.

Burqa prevented rape: Leslie - National - smh.com.au

Dear Communist,

By posting this article you have exposed the true side of Islam ? We muslims will rape, pillage, sodomise, hurt and kill everybody who is non - muslim ? Is that how islam spread ?

Burqa does not prevent rape, good laws, good investigation and good stern and swift punishments does.

Man!! I want my gf to wear burqa and others bikini.....muhahaha. ......joking.......anyways i HAVE had enough...CLOSE IT MODS....PLZZZ

In your face Mr. Communist,

Read the article below

Muslim rape concern

Alarmed at last week's police statistics, which revealed that in 68% of all rapes committed this year the perpetrator was from an ethnic minority, leading Muslim organisations have now formed an alliance to fight the ever-growing problem of young second and third-generation immigrants involved in rape cases against young Danish girls.

Fjordman: Muslim Rape Epidemic in Sweden and Norway - Authorities Look the Other Way

I think scandanavians are nornally neutral.

Regards

Everyone, I wanted to emphasize the positive aspect of wearing a burqa which is not a sign of oppression, but a sign of protection and generating dignity.

Just listen to what Leslie insisted. She voluntarily opted for burqa, she was never forced. And she appreciated the good results of wearing a burqa.

And Indian members, please leave your Chankya diplomacy aside.

Dear communist,

If some one wanted to sodomise u everyday in India you would wear saffron too ? Or may be you like that experience ?

The threat of rape by muslim men forced her to not the sancity of Islam or a BURQA.

Why are you not considering that particular situation? It was inside a prison.

Whatever, the burqa gave her protection and respect. The burqa saved her. We cannot deny that.

I am talking about the positive effects of burqa.

I must say your statement has a intellect of a cretin ? Why was she threatened by rape ? Why is she not wearing burqa back in Australia ?

Your article shows only the nagative side of Islam and the rapist who practice it.

Regards

Yes thats what I wanted to say. We live in a society and we have social responsibilities.

I AM SUPRISED MODS EVEN ALLOW A NINCOMPOOP LIKE U TO POST HERE. DON'T YOU HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITIES AS A MUSLIM NOT TO RAPE WOMAN ?

If women are aware of their dignified roles in the society, then they must act for the sake of social good. If they drop thinking of seducing men by wearing vulgar dresses, men are bound to respect them. The report reflects such an incident, where even those men who had earlier attempted to rape a girl, was later significantly changed and began to respect her. That incident legitimizes the cause of burqa.

WHY NOT KILL ALL WOMAN SO THAT U CANT HAVE TO BOTHER ABOUT WOMAN ? WHY CAN'T YOU KEEP AWAY FROM WOMAN WHO ARE SCANTILY DRESSED ? ARE U SUCH A PEVERT ? I GO TO A BEACH AND SEE 1000'S OF SCANTILY CLAD WOMEN AND I LOOK AT THEM BUT I STILL DON'T WANT TO RAPE THEM. ITS THEIR CHOICE TO DRESS AND MY CHOICE NOT TO COMMIT A CRIME OF RAPE ! IS ISLAM SO WEAK THAT ONLY IF U WEAR A BURQA YOU WONT RAPE A WOMAN ?

Thus it is not only about burqa, a particular attire, but about dressing up in a dignified way instead of showing vulgar body parts. Human beings always try to hide what cannot be displayed in public sphere. And if such hiding is accomplished through a jeans cloth, then its ok. But the jeans cloth should be designed and made in a decent way.

CLOSE YOUR EYES AND WALK THE OTHER WAY IF YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR DESIRE. OTHERWISE PRODUCE TWO KIDS AND THE CASTRATE URSELF SO THAT THERE IS NO RAPE IN THIS WORLD.

Just as we cannot go to school without wearing a particular uniform, we cannot come out in public without wearing a decent and civic attire. I opened the thread in this context.

WE ARE NOT SCHOOL ANYMORE YOUNG MAN GROW UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE YOUNG MAN.

regards

Blacks and whites may be genetically different, but women and men are biologically different. You talk about treating people as equals. Can women then play soccer with men as an opponent team? Can a man gives birth to a child too?

If you treat everyone as equal, then how can you leave your seat to a handicapped person inside a crowded bus? If you leave, then its not discrimination, if you do not, then you are depriving someone on the basis of the theory, social darwinism.

I have been talking about positive discrimination, but you took it as racism and negative discrimination. Very unfortunate.

Oh God, where was Communist when God distributed brains ?

Man has given birth recently so its biologically possible though not NATURAL.

Woman are as equal to men and maybe even better.

You Sir need to move to SWAT and have your bottom carressed by BM and his men. Enjoy the experience.

Regards

Rape on fun for Spaghetti lovers, isn't it? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do women wear clothes at all?

Why not roam naked? (Let's presume warmth and hygiene was not an issue). We live in a society and actually make up that society. Nudity concerns are very real for men and women both. Women should have the right to choose what the definition of nudity is.
Very ingenious of you. Equating the issue of burqa with nudity. Asking a lady not to wear her burqa, is not like asking her to walk the street stark naked. As I understand, it is to be worn over her clothing. The practice of wearing cloth is in itself not discriminatory in the same sense that burqa is. If only women were required to wear cloths while the men could get away wearing nothing, then the practice of clothing would have been discriminatory – like burqa. When the so called society requires you to put on some cloth, it does so without discriminating between a man and a woman.

Accepting burqa would first require you to accept that either the society is too violent to be safe for a woman in such a society or, the society is itself discriminatory. It is usually the last one.

The question therefore, is just not of freedom of choice but also, if the society is able to accommodate such choice. So it is not just if a woman has freedom to decide on here clothing, but if the society is permitting her to actually stick to her decision. If the society makes it apparent that only a specific style of clothing is accepted, and others would be frowned upon, then the so called choice is a farce.

Are you really going to force women to take off some of their clothing? It's their choice let it be.
It is precisely the choice that I am talking about. In a free society true choice exists. In a discriminatory oppressive society, only farce of a choice exists.

i wonder why the West stops public nudity, or for the matter public intoxication, why do they feel bad about incestuous behaviour, or why are they against adultery?
Public nudity – because of the potential of being public nuisance and public disturbances.

Public intoxication – again, because of the potential of being public nuisance and public disturbances, not to mention, harm to self.

Incestuous behavior – because of genetics.

Adultery – because it is a form of deceit.

Let me explain it to you, it is because 'THEY' consider is harmful for the society and it contradicts the normal human behavior!
Yeah right.

If they the 'humans' can make laws and allow or stop certain actions of other humans, why do we feel that if the Divine instruction (the Islamic teachings) stops us from certain actions (covering up properly, keeping a beard, not taking alcohol etc etc) is a threat to freedom?
O please. You know it as well as I do, the so called "Divine instructions" originated in human brain and were written by human hands only. Anyway, there are differences between common law and so called "Divine instructions". For one, the common law is subject to revision, correction, alteration and even annulment if need arises, due to changed circumstances. In the case of "Divine instructions", the laws are absolute, and disregard change of perceptions, ideas or understandings. For another, common law tends to be equal among all. But religious law is applicable to the ones who believe in that religion and is subject to interpretation of religious philosophy. It can’t be imposed on others who don’t believe in that religion.

Very ingenious of you. Equating the issue of burqa with nudity. Asking a lady not to wear her burqa, is not like asking her to walk the street stark naked.
Who gets to define a nudity for a woman. You? Or that woman?

As I understand, it is to be worn over her clothing. The practice of wearing cloth is in itself not discriminatory in the same sense that burqa is. If only women were required to wear cloths while the men could get away wearing nothing, then the practice of clothing would have been discriminatory – like burqa.
In Pakistan's urban areas perhaps about 50% of the women wear hijab or less. Either party is free to do as they please. I think thats a lot more freedom than forcing women to take off the Burkha.

A lot of 'free society' countries are targeting the hijab, forcing women to take off a piece of their clothing. Its nothing but a fear mentality of the west whereby they are presuming that if they prevent the Hijab they'd be able to prevent the spread of Islam. Many parts of Europe are determined to force women to take off a piece of their clothing. Its ridiculous.

Accepting burqa would first require you to accept that either the society is too violent to be safe for a woman in such a society or, the society is itself discriminatory. It is usually the last one.
Why only safety? Will you rape every nude woman that comes in front of you? I think in 99% of the cases women wont be raped if they walked around nude. But they still wear clothes as part of cultural and societal norms. The same way what if you considered exposed hair or legs to be part of nudity as well? Its the woman's choice to not be nude in front of you.

Therefore you and I don't get to decide, they do.

The question therefore, is just not of freedom of choice but also, if the society is able to accommodate such choice.
You're saying that women only wear Burkha/Hijab in oppressive societies? Go to every continent's every country, you'll find a woman with a hijab. Your theory is wrong.

I can say with certainty that 90% of the women that do choose to wear the Hijab, do so out of their own freewill.

It is precisely the choice that I am talking about. In a free society true choice exists. In a discriminatory oppressive society, only farce of a choice exists.
Yeah by your definition you've called most parts of Europe's freedom a farce.

In fact to just give you an idea, you would struggle to find any other example of forcing women to wear the Burkha anywhere in the Muslim world other than Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom