What's new

Why I’m an Atheist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky Gervais: Why I’m an Atheist

Couple of logical fallacies in his piece...

when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are.

Gervais, like most atheists, is deliberately confusing belief in God with tenets of organized religion. The evolution of some tenets against homosexuality, masturbation and contraception have been traced back to tribal days when there was safety in numbers and any sexual activity that didn't contribute towards a larger tribe was frowned upon.

All this has nothing to do with belief in God. There are people who believe in a supernatural deity without belonging to any particular relgiion.

75 percent of Americans are God-*‐fearing Christians; 75 percent of prisoners are God-*‐fearing Christians. 10 percent of Americans are atheists; 0.2 percent of prisoners are atheists.

The disparity is easily explained. Atheism is much more popular amongst the well-educated and financially well-off segment of society. This group will, of course, be less likely to go to jail, regardless of whether they are atheists or otherwise. Therefore, the numbers are skewed.

I see a great tendency among hindus proclaiming that they are atheist.But when everyone is proclaimed to be hindu irrespective of their belief then that makes an atheist too a hindu.....

Hinduism & quite a few atheists born into the Hindu faith would not have a problem with that.

The Indian Nobel Prize-winner Amartya Sen, in an interview with Pranab Bardhan for the California Magazine published in the July-August 2006 edition by the University of California, Berkeley states:

"In some ways people had got used to the idea that India was spiritual and religion-oriented. That gave a leg up to the religious interpretation of India, despite the fact that Sanskrit had a larger atheistic literature than exists in any other classical language. Even within the Hindu tradition, there are many people who were atheist. Madhava Acharya, the remarkable 14th century philosopher, wrote this rather great book called Sarvadarshansamgraha, which discussed all the religious schools of thought within the Hindu structure. The first chapter is "Atheism" - a very strong presentation of the argument in favor of atheism and materialism.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

said by Einstein!!!!

religion divides beer bar unites...also If god/allha really exist...then y dont it come down or some some miracle to save Palestine from isreali occupation...lots of children are killed by isreal cant allha see?....there in no ram,allha in this universe exit...thts hardcore fact....

hahaha now a bharti is using palestinian card to justify his statements...

how pathetic bharti can get more???

I gave this answer to some one on this forum yesterday..am posting it again...will help to explain the scientific verses of Holy Quran.
Religion is something which is only rituals...for Muslims ( plz dont be pakistan specific) all over the world Islam has its own financial system, islamic banking system ( search on it), judicial system, religous system, governing system, administrative system and that was all perfectly done at the time of Rashidun caliphates...where even the christian citizens voluntarily used to choose to live under the Muslim governments instead of the Byzantine Christian empires....such was their humbleness....plz search more on it...i might be doing courses on Islamic Banking and Finance....some banks are even offering it here in Canada.

Sir i respect your views but as a muslim we are supposed to do dawa ( invite your brothers and sisters in humanity) to tell them the meaning of life so that they can be successful in this world and hereafter.

Sir a holy book has to stand the test of time so that we can prove its teachings are perfect....and from God. ...hopefully you believe in Science...here are the views of Non-Muslim Scientists on the scientific facts mentioned in the Holy Quran 1500 years ago including the process of development of child in a woman's womb ( which was found recently through ultrasound--the stages are clearly mentioned in detail in Hily Quran), the water cycle ( discovered much after the last message came), the BIG BANG THEORY ( mentioned absolutely clearly) , the geographical function of mountains, the 7 layers in the earth's atmosphere..hundereds of verses refering to science.

Here is what the non-muslim scientists have to say

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

The big bang theory is mentioned as follows

Ch 21 verse 30

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

Today we know from science that early forms of life came out of water.

The continous process of expansion of universe

"And the firmament, We constructed with power and skill and verily We are expanding it. (The Noble Quran, 51:47)" Ch 51 verse 47

Again, the word "samaa" was used for "firmament". "samaa" as I mentioned above means either "heaven", or "Universe" depending on how it is used. Certainly, the meaning of the word "samaa" in Noble Verse 51:47 is "Universe".

The sun and moon both move in orbits

There are 2 verse talking about movement of sun and moon in orbits hundreds of years before scientists found that out

Ch 36 verse 40 (chapter name "Sura Ya seen")

"It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit."

Chapter 21 verse 33 (chapter name "Surah Al-Anbiya)

"And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit."

7 Layers in atmosphere today which the science found out

“See ye not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another, “And made the moon a light in their midst, and made the sun as a (Glorious) Lamp?” (Al-Qur’an 71:15-16) Chapter 71 verse 15-16

Heavens here refers to sky or the universe...as cleared above...after another verse like this.

Translations are realy difficult job...but they are good to convey the message of truth to reast of brothers and sisters in humanity.

The signs are very clear for humanity.....as i said messages were brought by prophets chosen from their people (tribes/nations)...these prophets were simple humans like us but braught the message of Oneness of God and to obey and worship God as our time on this earth was temperary ..these messengers came to every place in the world where humans lived...including probably india...one saying of Prophet (S) puts their number upto approximately1,24000...with the last messenger and prophet being Prophet Muhammad (S)...and the last message was intended to unite the human beings...that is the reason Islam discourages nationalism based on ethinicty..and cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Existence of God cannot be proven but so can't God's non-existence.

The origin of humans for instance, we still can't prove humans evolved through natural selection, and evolution still remains the theory of evolution not the fact of evolution even by the scientific community. Beyond that scientists just have a "faith" in the evolution.

Science teaches us that all building blocks of life (living matter) comes through proteins. All proteins come through other proteins. Scientists till this date have not been able to make protein without the use of other proteins even in the lab - so who made the first protein? Evolved? From what?

Also there are several parts in of the cell that cannot exist without the other, that won't serve the purpose they are intended to without the other. According to natural selection everything that doesn't serve a purpose is removed in the next evolutionary cycle. So either they all came at once, or someone designed them.

All these arguments don't prove god, but it proves a designer some sort of intelligence that made something happen. Science figured out that evolution happens, and declared that as proof of non-existence of God, in fact evolution can only happen after initial life has been created.

This makes me, wonder whether or not Atheism is the biggest leap of faith anyone can take.

I gave this answer to some one on this forum yesterday..am posting it again...will help to explain the scientific verses of Holy Quran.
Religion is something which is only rituals...for Muslims ( plz dont be pakistan specific) all over the world Islam has its own financial system, islamic banking system ( search on it), judicial system, religous system, governing system, administrative system and that was all perfectly done at the time of Rashidun caliphates...where even the christian citizens voluntarily used to choose to live under the Muslim governments instead of the Byzantine Christian empires....such was their humbleness....plz search more on it...i might be doing courses on Islamic Banking and Finance....some banks are even offering it here in Canada.

Sir i respect your views but as a muslim we are supposed to do dawa ( invite your brothers and sisters in humanity) to tell them the meaning of life so that they can be successful in this world and hereafter.

Sir a holy book has to stand the test of time so that we can prove its teachings are perfect....and from God. ...hopefully you believe in Science...here are the views of Non-Muslim Scientists on the scientific facts mentioned in the Holy Quran 1500 years ago including the process of development of child in a woman's womb ( which was found recently through ultrasound--the stages are clearly mentioned in detail in Hily Quran), the water cycle ( discovered much after the last message came), the BIG BANG THEORY ( mentioned absolutely clearly) , the geographical function of mountains, the 7 layers in the earth's atmosphere..hundereds of verses refering to science.

Here is what the non-muslim scientists have to say

Part 1

YouTube - Scientists prove Qur'an to be the word of Allah (God) 1 of 5

Part 2

YouTube - Scientists prove Qur'an to be the word of Allah (God) 2 of 5

Part 3

YouTube - Scientists prove Qur'an to be the word of Allah (God) 3 of 5

Part 4

YouTube - Scientists prove Qur'an to be the word of Allah (God) 4 of 5

Part 5

YouTube - Scientists prove Qur'an to be the word of Allah (God) 5 of 5

The big bang theory is mentioned as follows

Ch 21 verse 30

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

Today we know from science that early forms of life came out of water.

The continous process of expansion of universe

"And the firmament, We constructed with power and skill and verily We are expanding it. (The Noble Quran, 51:47)" Ch 51 verse 47

Again, the word "samaa" was used for "firmament". "samaa" as I mentioned above means either "heaven", or "Universe" depending on how it is used. Certainly, the meaning of the word "samaa" in Noble Verse 51:47 is "Universe".

The sun and moon both move in orbits

There are 2 verse talking about movement of sun and moon in orbits hundreds of years before scientists found that out

Ch 36 verse 40 (chapter name "Sura Ya seen")

"It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit."

Chapter 21 verse 33 (chapter name "Surah Al-Anbiya)

"And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit."

7 Layers in atmosphere today which the science found out

“See ye not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another, “And made the moon a light in their midst, and made the sun as a (Glorious) Lamp?” (Al-Qur’an 71:15-16) Chapter 71 verse 15-16

Heavens here refers to sky or the universe...as cleared above...after another verse like this.

Translations are realy difficult job...but they are good to convey the message of truth to reast of brothers and sisters in humanity.

The signs are very clear for humanity.....as i said messages were brought by prophets chosen from their people (tribes/nations)...these prophets were simple humans like us but braught the message of Oneness of God and to obey and worship God as our time on this earth was temperary ..these messengers came to every place in the world where humans lived...including probably india...one saying of Prophet (S) puts their number upto approximately1,24000...with the last messenger and prophet being Prophet Muhammad (S)...and the last message was intended to unite the human beings...that is the reason Islam discourages nationalism based on ethinicty..and cultures.

No wonder Islam is truth(no offence to other religions), Today many in Europe & America are converting after they saw that what Islam & Quran & Muhammad(SAW) said long long ago, science has proved it today. Quran is word of Allah (God) our creater.

Existence of God cannot be proven but so can't God's non-existence.

The origin of humans for instance, we still can't prove humans evolved through natural selection, and evolution still remains the theory of evolution not the fact of evolution even by the scientific community. Beyond that scientists just have a "faith" in the evolution.

Science teaches us that all building blocks of life (living matter) comes through proteins. All proteins come through other proteins. Scientists till this date have not been able to make protein without the use of other proteins even in the lab - so who made the first protein? Evolved? From what?

Also there are several parts in of the cell that cannot exist without the other, that won't serve the purpose they are intended to without the other. According to natural selection everything that doesn't serve a purpose is removed in the next evolutionary cycle. So either they all came at once, or someone designed them.

All these arguments don't prove god, but it proves a designer some sort of intelligence that made something happen. Science figured out that evolution happens, and declared that as proof of non-existence of God, in fact evolution can only happen after initial life has been created.

This makes me, wonder whether or not Atheism is the biggest leap of faith anyone can take.

Science hasn't proved evolution beyond doubt is because it is not religion. where you can justify something using a miracle or a fairytale. Science takes its own time to prove. yet, theory of evolution has been the most believable theory for our creation which is accepted by all regardless of their faith.

I think science talks about carbon being the building block of life and not protein. carbon occurs naturally everywhere.

Though science hasn't answered all our questions, that doesn't mean we have to resort to religion. It is just an easy way out.

No wonder Islam is truth(no offence to other religions), Today many in Europe & America are converting after they saw that what Islam & Quran & Muhammad(SAW) said long long ago, science has proved it today. Quran is word of Allah (God) our creater.

depends on individuals.. this is the reason I don't partake in religious discussions because to each his own.. not saying Islam is not truth.. it may be.. but you saying that most likely does not offend.. because it does not mean that all other religions are false... Islam is not only religion which is congruent with science..

There is actually a very popular Christian group which tries to prove bible through science. They have a theme park dedicated to that in Florida. There is also a Hindu group that does the same in India. They claim vedas has described aeroplane technology and the Americans stole it and built the plane:lol:. I wouldn't take any of them seriously. There was a documentary about how the Saudis and even one of your Presidents paid a lot for these so called scientists to give speech on the science behind islam.

Science hasn't proved evolution beyond doubt is because it is not religion. where you can justify something using a miracle or a fairytale. Science takes its own time to prove. yet, theory of evolution has been the most believable theory for our creation which is accepted by all regardless of their faith.
Notice the word you use: believable . Which makes it what? A belief system.

I think science talks about carbon being the building block of life and not protein. carbon occurs naturally everywhere.
"Building block" is a generic term, I was talking about the actual building workhorse, all your cells in your body have been built by some protein or the other.

Though science hasn't answered all our questions, that doesn't mean we have to resort to religion. It is just an easy way out.

As I said, it does not prove the existence of God, but it Proves that we were created by design. By following rules of natural selection we just cannot have the first protein come into existence. It is scientific method that when all other explanations have been eliminated the only one remaining is probably true. Once again I can't prove that God put that protein on Earth, but I definitely can say that it was indeed put here and didn't combine with amino acids on its own.

There is a whole body of... well sort of scientists... that believe in the Intelligent Design theory as opposed to creationism or evolution. Look it up.

There is actually a very popular Christian group which tries to prove bible through science. They have a theme park dedicated to that in Florida. There is also a Hindu group that does the same in India. They claim vedas has described aeroplane technology and the Americans stole it and built the plane:lol:. I wouldn't take any of them seriously. There was a documentary about how the Saudis and even one of your Presidents paid a lot for these so called scientists to give speech on the science behind islam.
To be clear, Islam or to be more specific the Quran has never claimed to be a book of science. It has only claimed to be a book that will remain relevant and correct.

By that count, Quran has some tid bits mentioned that are surprisingly correct in view of science at a time when they couldn't have been written down by a scientist. For that matter most old religions do have such things.

The only difference is where everyone has something or the other that is correct scientifically, Quran is the only book which hasn't gotten anything wrong yet. Although I repeat it never intends to prove itself scientifically and people doing so, are just wasting their time if they are doing it to preach religion rather than use it for some sort of R&D.

I am not looking for a deabte i have had enough of my fair shares of em here :P. Anyways I am an Athiest but i am kind of Agnocist deep in my heart :P

Put it on top of the list and bring atheism down & you shall have some real deal coming your way.

Dude we are not claiming or proving anything, Holy Quran was revealed long long ago, in Muhammad(SAW) times. There was not even basic science that time. Today the Western Christian & Atheist scientist are also shocked, after science proved what Quran have mentioned long before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom