What's new

Why do new build houses in Pakistan not have gardens?

313ghazi

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So I've been increasingly interested in property in Pakistan and came across a youtube channel doing tours of homes on sale.

i noticed a lot of very grand new houses, 5-6 bedrooms, as many bathrooms, but no gardens. Why? Do Pakistani people not want outdoor space to sit in?

The houses of my grandparents were in this style with the building around the outside and a central courtyard.

1627560003986.png

Even our new homes have large verandas and courtyards. Is this something that city folk don't want anymore?
Also why are there so many bathrooms? Sometimes there are more bathrooms than bedrooms.

I think many villages dont want courtyard gardens is because of maintaince and bugs, as most sleep outside in summers. But you will see garden surroundings or out side house.

So I've been increasingly interested in property in Pakistan and came across a youtube channel doing tours of homes on sale.

i noticed a lot of very grand new houses, 5-6 bedrooms, as many bathrooms, but no gardens. Why? Do Pakistani people not want outdoor space to sit in?

The houses of my grandparents were in this style with the building around the outside and a central courtyard.

View attachment 766049

Even our new homes have large verandas and courtyards. Is this something that city folk don't want anymore?
Also why are there so many bathrooms? Sometimes there are more bathrooms than bedrooms.
The rules are very werid.
You can't built 3 floors. You can't have a back garden. You have to leave a front garden etc
Dear in 1 canal House you always leave some garden space and that is by law. Even in 10 marla you have to leave a garden space by law.
We live in one of the most hot climates in the world. And our houses are not centrally air conditioned.
They become like suanas in summers if you don't use a.c which not many can afford and in all rooms. It just become too much.
Stretegically placed 2 or 3 trees grown to full hight can change your house look and provide much needed comfort and shade in summers. Your house would stay cool.

You can buy a land and make a house surrounded by gardens. It would even save you like 50 lakh to a lot more rupees that a lot of fully built house would cost you.

Because In Pakistan, we don't have Sub-Urban sprawl like in the US. In the US, people like to live at an hour's drive from the main financial district of the city, where the land is cheaper, and you can build huge backyards and gardens.

In Pakistan, people have to live within the cities in 1 kinal houses at most. (95% live in smaller houses). This is because they have to live close to their parents (who in turn cannot live without children due to culture and no retirement plan)

1627562329460.png

If you go out of city in Pakistan, there you can find people who have made farm-houses which have backyards the size of US national forests. In short, there is no middle ground (pun intended).

View attachment 766049

“Gaon ki khubsurat zindgi ka manzar”

People of city can not survive in villages,
They have No life skills to survive there

The house I grew up in the UK was a terraced house. It was connected to the others either side of it. Here is an example.

Sattelite view...

1627565223383.png

Street view...

1627565324712.png

Our home was narrow and wide. It had 3 living rooms, storage under the stairs, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, 4 bedrooms and a room in the roof space which we call an attic in the UK. It had a narrow garden maybe a total of 8-10 metres long. and maybe 5-6 metres wide at the most.

My parents turned it into a little outdoor paradise. They had flowers, fruit trees, tomatoes, thanya, thoom, methi, palak, chillis, all in this tiny space. We also had a part of it paved for a seating area.

A garden doesn't require a lot of space, but i don't think i could live anywhere without out. I was in Morroco and I saw their versions of a Haveli, they called it a Riyad, or a Riad. Beautiful - tall walls, a small central courtyard and then another courtyard with potted plants etc on the roof.

I reccomend everyone buy a property with some sort of courtyard or garden in Pakistan. It doesn't have to be big, but there should be some link to nature. No wonder our cities are turning into ovens.

The answer is simple.
In pakistan if you have 1 kanal of land and build on half and leave half for the garden...a logical thing to do. Then you decide to sell it, no one will buy it because they say its just half a house. Where is the house?

Materialism over life

Last edited:
i wish for a farm house with big a ss shed or unit to work on cars, bikes etc. lots of land i can park my banger anywere. i also live in terrace house not good if your neighbors are pi ss heads or drug addicts, at night idiots rallying their cars, or drunks causing vandalism. garden way to small only slugs live my garden. Worse is ppl parking their cars outside your door and you cant do nothing cause they pay road tax.

wealthy ppl live in gated houses with huge car park out of the way.

americans have worked out the best way to live in a perfect house, a big farm house lot of land, plus two big garages filled with all the tools you need to fix things. tractors, all kinds of machinery and lots of guns to practice shooting.

View attachment 766049

I guess it`s all about price of a land. It`s getting costly and people are more focused on having a house with more rooms and washrooms than a luxury space to dwell in.

Secondly, people have become more privacy-conscious than they were in the past. An entire family used to share a multi purpose big hall for sleeping, meetings and what not. But now, everyone wants to have space and don`t appreciate anyone interfering in their business. Hence, more rooms- everyone wants a separate room with a bathroom/ toilet.

Last edited:
i think people are going close minded and thus dont get attraction to open air houses

Back
Top Bottom