What's new

Why do Indians expect Bangladeshis to speak in Hindi?

Riyad

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This is very common abroad. Non resident Indians in these countries speak in Hindi with Bangladeshis even after knowing that he is Bangladeshi. Indians start talking in Hindi as if Bangladeshis can understand Hindi well.

During Gulshan attack coverage by Indian media the TV host talked live with Bangladeshis in Hindi. A Bangladeshi journalist requested him to ask question in English. Only then the Indian host asked him in English.

Last edited:
its the other way around as well, most bdians think every indian can speak hindi... i have seen many bdians switching to hindi midway or sprinkle a smattering of hindi just to prove that they are smart as*...
you can see it on this forum too..

I have faced this. They are not able to believe that South Indians dont speak Hindi :P One guy even told me, how can you be Indians without even knowing Hindi, which is national language of India.

When I asked him to prove from the constitution and offered an 100$ bet, he knew he was wrong :P But Bengalis in WB do speak hindi though Bengali and Hindi are in no way similar.... How?

I have faced this. They are not able to believe that South Indians dont speak Hindi :P One guy even told me, how can you be Indians without even knowing Hindi, which is national language of India.

When I asked him to prove from the constitution and offered an 100$ bet, he knew he was wrong :P But Bengalis in WB do speak hindi though Bengali and Hindi are in no way similar.... How?
you can pick up hindi if you speak any north indian language...

Bengali is considered Indo-Aryan langage. We can get some Hindi words as they are similar to Bengali words but its hard for a Bengali / Bangladeshi to pick up every word of Hindi.

Bengali is considered Indo-Aryan langage. We can get some Hindi words as they are similar to Bengali words but its hard for a Bengali / Bangladeshi to pick up every word of Hindi.
was it a hindi channel that was asking the questions?
in India if an english channel guy thinks you dont know English(say you are not very educated or struggling with words), they will switch to hindi, even if it is English news.

was it a hindi channel that was asking the questions?
in India if an english channel guy thinks you dont know English(say you are not very educated or struggling with words), they will switch to hindi, even if it is English news.

ABP News host asked question in Hindi to Bangladeshis. Reporters also asked common people in Hindi, not even Bengali.

ABP News host asked question in Hindi to Bangladeshis. Reporters also asked common people in Hindi, not even Bengali.
abp news is a hindi channel... may be they should have taken a bengali speaking reporter or used a local bd reporter... but then they would need a translator to say that in hindi for their viewers..
so they took shortcut...
i dont think they will do that in sri lanka.. or even south india

Hindustani is easy to understand because its Indo-Aryan language like Bengalee. We share so many words with Urdu and Hindi its innumerable though some pronunciation differences are there like sabzi is called sobzi, mutabiq is called mutabeq, siasat becomes siasot, mehnat becomes mehnot and so on which is mainly because of our rounded vowels (This is Bangladesh Bengali, I don't know about Indian Bengali I don't speak it)

I remember my mom watched this Urdu dubbed Turkish serial some years back, it was my first exposure to Hindustani. At first I couldn't understand much but after some three or four days I got quite the gist of it. It became quite easy to understand from then onwards. Hindustani is much more widespread and enjoys much exposure so why do you have problem if Bangladeshis want to speak it its their morzi They have every right to speak Hindustani.They are becoming global. They are not narrow minded. Its our brother language. We love it.

But all these Bangladeshi that comes to our place understand s Hindi thought their Bengali is not anything from Kolkata..

But all these Bangladeshi that comes to our place understand s Hindi thought their Bengali is not anything from Kolkata..
Coz Hindi spoken there might not be the standard one but colloquial Hindustani which has many Farsi words shared with Bengalee

You must be talking about Bihari origin Bangladeshis. They speak Urdu and Hindi well. Bangladeshis have problems to pick up Hindi vocabulary.

Verbally Kolkata Bengali is entirely different from Dhaka Bengali. Only written form is similar not even same. In language packs you will find options like Bangla (India) and Bangla (Bangladesh).

This is very common abroad. Non resident Indians in these countries speak in Hindi with Bangladeshis even after knowing that he is Bangladeshi. Indians start talking in Hindi as if Bangladeshis can understand Hindi well.

During Gulshan attack coverage by Indian media the TV host talked live with Bangladeshis in Hindi. A Bangladeshi journalist requested him to ask question in English. Only then the Indian host asked him in English.

Weird behaviour. Is this true?

You must be talking about Bihari origin Bangladeshis. They speak Urdu and Hindi well. Bangladeshis have problems to pick up Hindi vocabulary.

Verbally Kolkata Bengali is entirely different from Dhaka Bengali. Only written form is similar not even same. In language packs you will find options like Bangla (India) and Bangla (Bangladesh).
i thought bangladeshis will speak better hindi/urdu than wb people... because they had lots of biharis..

abp news is a hindi channel... may be they should have taken a bengali speaking reporter or used a local bd reporter... but then they would need a translator to say that in hindi for their viewers..
so they took shortcut...
i dont think they will do that in sri lanka.. or even south india

A- Anand B- Bazaar P- Patrika is a Bengali media group- ABP News is their Hindi wing-

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom