What's new

Why do Indians expect Bangladeshis to speak in Hindi?

Bare Bhai,

Maithil is a distinct language from Hindi and is cognate with Nepali,Bengali and Assamese, and Odiya. If a Maithil speaks slowly, I can understand him clearly; if I speak slowly, a Maithil can understand me clearly.

As for script, Nepali and all varieties of Hindi in Bihar use Nagari; Bengali, Assamese and the Manipuris use a similar but distinct Bengali version of Nagari; the Odisha script is palm-leaf oriented and to the outsider, resembles the other palm-leaf scripts - Telugu, Tamizh, Malayalam, Kannada.

You are very correct- Bengalis have no problem with Maithli I have seen this personally so I know what you are saying- I was not aware of the connection but we as proper Hindi speaker have no problem understanding maithli If spoken not so fast- so I made the connection-

It's funny when Bangladeshis who shed blood in 1952 and 1971 for language and culture and for that event the world celebrates Language Day today those same Bangaldeshis feel completely owned up by Bollywood. All that 1952 and 1971 went in dustbin according to Bangladeshi intellectuals.

Hahahahaha
Lol, why would anyone shed blood for language. Its outright funny haha

In the initial years of Pakistan, the Bengalis were probably the only ethnic group in the country who weren't quite fluent in Urdu. Punjab had Urdu as official language since 1841 so it wasn't much of a hassle for them. Sindhis Pashtuns shared nastaliq script so it wasn't problem for them. East Bengal received huge influx of Bihari refugees during partition which still continued into the following years. Now the Biharis were quite fluent in Urdu. So when it was decided that Urdu would be national language, used for central institutions, more preference went to the Biharis. So locals started to feel insecure maybe they were looting jobs from them some sort of xenophobia arose which led to hostility culminating in "language movement" which was nothing but to protect job interests of locals till the time Bengalis learnt Urdu well.

There was no such language movement after 1952 We started to accept Urdu as national language It was very easy to learn too because it was Indo Aryan language and a lot of them learnt Arabic script in primary schools beforehand. People saying funny haha things like language movement don't know anything what they are talking about. You really believe people care about things like language when they can't even gather daily bread-butter for family at home Only some intellectual irrelevant and nationalists supported this thing Ordinary citizens of East Pakistan didn't have time for such silly things PERIOD This is truth

Last edited:
You are very correct- Bengalis have no problem with Maithli I have seen this personally so I know what you are saying- I was not aware of the connection but we as proper Hindi speaker have no problem understanding maithli If spoken not so fast- so I made the connection-

I forgot to say this - Mithilaksar is the same as Bengali, Assamese and Manipuri script. An Ahomiya can read Bengali, with the occasional stumble (!), and vice versa, and both can read the extinct Mithalaksar. Naturally a Manipuri can read all three.

It's funny when Bangladeshis who shed blood in 1952 and 1971 for language and culture and for that event the world celebrates Language Day today those same Bangaldeshis feel completely owned up by Bollywood. All that 1952 and 1971 went in dustbin according to Bangladeshi intellectuals.

Hahahahaha

Creep.

In the initial years of Pakistan, the Bengalis were probably the only ethnic group in the country who weren't quite fluent in Urdu. Punjab had Urdu as official language since 1841 so it wasn't much of a hassle for them. Sindhis Pashtuns shared nastaliq script so it wasn't problem for them. East Bengal received huge influx of Bihari refugees during partition which still continued into the following years. Now the Biharis were quite fluent in Urdu. So when it was decided that Urdu would be national language, used for central institutions, more preference went to the Biharis. So locals started to feel insecure maybe they were looting jobs from them some sort of xenophobia arose which led to hostility culminating in "language movement" which was nothing but to protect job interests of locals till the time Bengalis learnt Urdu well.

There was no such language movement after 1952 We started to accept Urdu as national language It was very easy to learn too because it was Indo Aryan language and a lot of them learnt Arabic script in primary schools beforehand. People saying funny haha things like language movement don't know anything what they are talking about. You really believe people care about things like language when they can't even gather rozana roti-sobzi for their khandan at home Only some intellectual irrelevant and nationalists supported this thing Ordinary citizens of East Pakistan didn't have time for such silly things PERIOD This is truth

I thought you were uneducated and unfamiliar with Bangladesh, but was hesitant to come to any firm conclusion. Thank you for ending the uncertainty.

I forgot to say this - Mithilaksar is the same as Bengali, Assamese and Manipuri script. An Ahomiya can read Bengali, with the occasional stumble (!), and vice versa, and both can read the extinct Mithalaksar. Naturally a Manipuri can read all three.

Creep.

I thought you were uneducated and unfamiliar with Bangladesh, but was hesitant to come to any firm conclusion. Thank you for ending the uncertainty.
You're welcome, my pleasure :-)

Yes having knowledge of Bengali comes in handy when in Assam- I have seen their script and It is the same- Didn't know about Manipuri as the occasional encounter I had with Manipuris, they were generally of Tribal communities-

But Bengalis in WB do speak hindi though Bengali and Hindi are in no way similar.... How?

There are similarities, Bengalis pick up Hindi from Hindi cinema, music and TV, but Hindi speakers who were not exposed to Bengali can start understanding Bengali in 3 to 7 days, and can start speaking it with a Hindi accent in a month or so...

Hindi and Bengali use same script- Maithli a version of Hindi spoken in Mithlanchal area of Bihar is the closest version of Hindi to Bengali-

Scripts are not same, but again there are similarities. Formation of sentences is also similar, the only issue Bengalis face is is about the use of gender even for non-living objects in Hindi, that's damn confusing, :( and I have asked a few Hindi speakers, there is no specific rule or logic behind it...

There was no such language movement after 1952 We started to accept Urdu as national language It was very easy to learn too because it was Indo Aryan language and a lot of them learnt Arabic script in primary schools beforehand. People saying funny haha things like language movement don't know anything what they are talking about. You really believe people care about things like language when they can't even gather rozana roti-sobzi for their khandan at home Only some intellectual irrelevant and nationalists supported this thing Ordinary citizens of East Pakistan didn't have time for such silly things PERIOD This is the truth Accept it

Ordinary people were martyred in language movement.

Abdus Salam

Native name আব্দুস সালাম
Born 27 November 1925
Luxmipur village, Feni District, Bengal Presidency, British India
Died 7 April 1952 (aged 26)
Dhaka, East Bengal, Pakistan

He was serving as a peon in the Department of Industries of the government.

Abdul Jabbar

JabbarAbdul.jpg

Native name আব্দুল জব্বার
Born 1919
Mymensingh, Bengal Presidency, British India
Died February 21, 1952 (aged 33)
Known for Demonstrator killed during Bengali Language Movement

He failed to continue his education owing to poverty.He went to Narayanganj by train and met an Englishman who helped him to get a job in Burma (currently Myanmar). He returned home after twelve years of service in Burma.

Shafiur Rahman

JUWEL777-1455783060-ed6921a_xlarge.jpg

Born
24 January 1918
Konnaagar of Hooghly District in West Bengal, of India
Died 22 February 1952
Dhaka Medical College and Hospital, Dhaka
Occupation Government Service Holder
Known for Language Martyr of 1952

After the partition of India he came to East Bengal with his wife Aquila Khatoon and his daughter Asfia Khatoon and other members of the family, taking a job in the accounts section of the Dhaka High Court.

Abul Barkat

Native name আবুল বরকত
Born Murshidabad, Bengal Presidency
Died Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nationality Bangladeshi
Occupation Language rights activist

He received his honors in 1951 where he stood fourth in the second class. He was a Masters student of the department of political science of Dhaka University.[2]

Ahmed, Rafiq Uddin

rafiquddin-ahmed.jpg

Rafiq Uddin Ahmed (Bengali: রফিক উদ্দীন আহমেদ) (October 30, 1926 – February 21, 1952) was a demonstrator killed during the Bengali Language Movement demonstrations that took place in East Pakistan (currently Bangladesh) in 1952.

Rafiq Uddin Ahmed was born at Paril village in Singair Upazila in Manikganj District. His father was the patron of the Manikganj Commercial College. He passed his matriculation from Baira School in 1949. He became a student of the Intermediate Class of Debendra College. But he discontinued his studies and moved to Dhaka where he worked in his father's commercial printing business. In Dhaka he admitted himself in Jagannath University (then Jagannath College).

Scripts are not same, but again there are similarities. Formation of sentences is also similar, the only issue Bengalis face is is about the use of gender even for non-living objects in Hindi, that's damn confusing, :( and I have asked a few Hindi speakers, there is no specific rule or logic behind it...

I am no language expert in Hindi- perhaps Joe could tell-

Abdus Salam

Native name আব্দুস সালাম
Born 27 November 1925
Luxmipur village, Feni District, Bengal Presidency, British India
Died 7 April 1952 (aged 26)
Dhaka, East Bengal, Pakistan

He was serving as a peon in the Department of Industries of the government.

Abdul Jabbar

JabbarAbdul.jpg

Native name আব্দুল জব্বার
Born 1919
Mymensingh, Bengal Presidency, British India
Died February 21, 1952 (aged 33)
Known for Demonstrator killed during Bengali Language Movement

He failed to continue his education owing to poverty.He went to Narayanganj by train and met an Englishman who helped him to get a job in Burma (currently Myanmar). He returned home after twelve years of service in Burma.

Shafiur Rahman

JUWEL777-1455783060-ed6921a_xlarge.jpg

Born
24 January 1918
Konnaagar of Hooghly District in West Bengal, of India
Died 22 February 1952
Dhaka Medical College and Hospital, Dhaka
Occupation Government Service Holder
Known for Language Martyr of 1952

After the partition of India he came to East Bengal with his wife Aquila Khatoon and his daughter Asfia Khatoon and other members of the family, taking a job in the accounts section of the Dhaka High Court.

Abul Barkat

Native name আবুল বরকত
Born Murshidabad, Bengal Presidency
Died Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nationality Bangladeshi
Occupation Language rights activist

He received his honors in 1951 where he stood fourth in the second class. He was a Masters student of the department of political science of Dhaka University.[2]
They were intellectuals rebels. Threat to Pakistan's unity. They were organizing anti-national campaigns. When police asked them to go back they didn't they insisted on staying there and attacked police, so they had to face retaliation. Always remember country is more important than a few individuals, especially when these people don't have country's interests in mind. Plus you are West Bengali, why so bothered about Bangladesh leave us alone plz

Last edited:

Imposing a foreign language effects common people the most- the noble can still accept the change- I can tell you we in India too had language movements and It was not just for Administrative Jobs at all-

Creep.

Sir why do i get the sense that you have some kind of beef with bangalis?You don't spare any chance,any specific reason?

Yes having knowledge of Bengali comes in handy when in Assam- I have seen their script and It is the same- Didn't know about Manipuri as the occasional encounter I had with Manipuris, they were generally of Tribal communities-

Assamese script and Mithilaksar are almost identical. They differ from Bengali script in almost identical manner.

If I was an Indian... I would expect Bengalis to speak Hindi because how much addicted they are with Bollywood, Indian tv in general... but as I am a Bangladeshi....
I was surprised to find many Indians don't speak Hindi...
Even this close friend of mine... South Indian girl... doesn't speak at all...

Sir why do i get the sense that you have some kind of beef with bangalis?You don't spare any chance,any specific reason?
upload_2016-8-18_1-19-33.jpeg

Are you mad? I'm from the same stock. How did I give that impression? It isn't true, not at all. I dislike two or three idiots, but for Heavens' sakes, I'm hugely pro-Bangali.

i thought bangladeshis will speak better hindi/urdu than wb people... because they had lots of biharis..
Lots of Bihari? You can't call 0.25 million Bihari living in refugee camp out 160 million population a lot of.In west Bengal 10 percent population speak Urdu.So it have better chance to understand Hindi/Urdu.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom