What's new

Why do Indians expect Bangladeshis to speak in Hindi?

My daughter, from her mother (Hebbar Iyengar Tamil, proper Tamil, Kannada, Bengali and a bit of Hindi) and from me (the less said the better) has learnt and is fluent to a different degree in Kannada, the Hebbar Tamil, regular Tamil, Hindi and Bengali; she is now learning French.

I am deeply ashamed to say that I have not done much about learning Telugu.

Ah ok I understand now. Thats quite a list I must say....you have raised her well. Is she in India learning French or elsewhere? A wonderful language I am glad to have learned and use daily.

Its a pity you didn't learn Telugu (Telungu as we call it in Tamil).....such a beautiful language. I do like me some old Telugu movies very much....just to hear them speak! That presentation in those movies is so sorely lacking these days.

The Tamil I speak is influenced by malayalam to quite some extent ( and I continue to discover how much all the time)...Even the numbers I use are almost all Malayalam (nalu, anju instead of nanku, eindu). To me Tamil and Malayalam are almost a langauge continuum to some extent....given the difficulty I have with some other dialects of Tamil compared to Malayalam. My parents tell me I even speak like a Malayali with my liberal use of nasal pronounciation.....its not surprising since I do trace my ancestry on both sides to Chera-natilam as we call it. @Levina @nair

It was a Chera ruler that built the great temple at Perur.....which is just across the road from where my mom was born.

Our immediate neighbourhood in Coimbatore that I am most familiar with (its in RS Puram near Gandhi park if you know where that is)...actually has a lot of Kannadiga presence....means most of my family on mothers side is quite familiar with their language (having had tenants who spoke it and temples run by them etc).

So while I'm not too comfortable speaking/writing most of malayalam (given my exposure to its core part is limited w.r.t to the influences already in the Tamil i know...which is very close to Palghat Brahmin Tamil).....I dont face this issue with Kannada most of the time. I do have to commit to learning the reading sometime.

For the most part I am just glad I have nothing to do with that abomination of "Tamil" found in Chennai hehe.

Go look at the foundation stone of the Coimbatore building. It mentions a Mrs. B. K. Roy. That was my grand-mum. She was a barefoot bride from Bogra, when she got married, and finished with a Kaisar-i-Hind, playing tennis with the Governor's wife. She was the only one in the family who spoke Telugu, from her camp days with her husband in Rajahmundhry, Bhadrachalam and the Godavari country. She was a friend of Ida B. Scudder, and I remember seeing a letter from the great lady in my grandmother's writing table.

Will definitely have to do this next time I'm there. I will ask about it with my dad in the meantime ...he knows the various histories and old places much better than I and my mom do. He often pops up with random trivia on how Coimbatore used to be all the time.

They are both actually both building a house for retirement not too far away from where the Guild is...Koundampalayam is the name I believe.

These are some fascinating connections you have...wow. All I have is that my grandfather as a young lad saw the Mahatma walk by one fine morning...something he referred to always as his most treasured moment.

Ah ok I understand now. Thats quite a list I must say....you have raised her well. Is she in India learning French or elsewhere? A wonderful language I am glad to have learned and use daily.

Its a pity you didn't learn Telugu (Telungu as we call it in Tamil).....such a beautiful language. I do like me some old Telugu movies very much....just to hear them speak! That presentation in those movies is so sorely lacking these days.

The Tamil I speak is influenced by malayalam to quite some extent ( and I continue to discover how much all the time)...Even the numbers I use are almost all Malayalam (nalu, anju instead of nanku, eindu). To me Tamil and Malayalam are almost a langauge continuum to some extent....given the difficulty I have with some other dialects of Tamil compared to Malayalam. My parents tell me I even speak like a Malayali with my liberal use of nasal pronounciation.....its not surprising since I do trace my ancestry on both sides to Chera-natilam as we call it. @Levina @nair

It was a Chera ruler that built the great temple at Perur.....which is just across the road from where my mom was born.

Our immediate neighbourhood in Coimbatore that I am most familiar with (its in RS Puram near Gandhi park if you know where that is)...actually has a lot of Kannadiga presence....means most of my family on mothers side is quite familiar with their language (having had tenants who spoke it and temples run by them etc).

So while I'm not too comfortable speaking/writing most of malayalam (given my exposure to its core part is limited w.r.t to the influences already in the Tamil i know...which is very close to Palghat Brahmin Tamil).....I dont face this issue with Kannada most of the time. I do have to commit to learning the reading sometime.

For the most part I am just glad I have nothing to do with that abomination of "Tamil" found in Chennai hehe.

Will definitely have to do this next time I'm there. I will ask about it with my dad in the meantime ...he knows the various histories and old places much better than I and my mom do. He often pops up with random trivia on how Coimbatore used to be all the time.

They are both actually both building a house for retirement not too far away from where the Guild is...Koundampalayam is the name I believe.

These are some fascinating connections you have...wow. All I have is that my grandfather as a young lad saw the Mahatma walk by one fine morning...something he referred to always as his most treasured moment.

When I worked in Chennai and was in the domestic market, (1981 to 1985), it used to be SUCH a relief to get out of Chennai and its harsh, crass language to the comparative tranquility of Coimbatore, or to the polish and dignity of the Madurai people. They were so polite, so genuinely caring that one's heart yearned to return. And, of course, even for a lapsed Shakta, there is this potent magic about the Meenakshi temple which is not very easily rationalised.

When I worked in Chennai and was in the domestic market, (1981 to 1985), it used to be SUCH a relief to get out of Chennai and its harsh, crass language to the comparative tranquility of Coimbatore, or to the polish and dignity of the Madurai people. They were so polite, so genuinely caring that one's heart yearned to return. And, of course, even for a lapsed Shakta, there is this potent magic about the Meenakshi temple which is not very easily rationalised.

Haha....that would have been around the time my mom went to Chennai for a short stint working in a bank as her first job.

Boy was she glad when they transferred her back to Coimbatore :)

Did you ever go up to ooty on the nilgiri mountain railway? Back then the glorious swiss toy steamers puffed all the way up unlike today where the route is only partially covered by them (and we are all fighting them tooth and nail to reverse this back to the way it was!)

Madurai is the cultural heart and soul of Tamil country (along with Cauvery Thanjavur area + Delta). It was always said that a work of flat paper literature would float in its temple tank if it was worthy and would sink if not. The Meenakshi temple is Madurai and vice versa....few places are such like that.

I recently came across this video of the Madurai (or Madura as the British called it) of old times gone by:

Last edited:
spanish have same problem of gender...

bengali speakers can pick hindi/urdu easily after little effort... south indians cant.. try to watch a bit of tamil movie on youtube...

i meant hindustani.. nobody is expecting bdians to write urdu poetry...
Bengalis yes... I guess something to do with Sanskrit? Had lots of South Indians in my life. Probably the best people I have met...

Bengalis yes... I guess something to do with Sanskrit? Had lots of South Indians in my life. Probably the best people I have met...

Never forget that some of my best friends in real life are Bangladeshis, whatever you see me write in this forum (mostly to deal with trolls etc).

I find south Indians get along with Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and others much better overall than lots of Indians in real life.

I presume they were young manipuris

Yes they were my students generally people from hills- I remember some Mar tribe group- and they were always having issues with Naga tribe people not very friendly to each other- We had a Manipuri professor from plains but she was from different department so we couldn't interact much-

Never forget that some of my best friends in real life are Bangladeshis, whatever you see me write in this forum (mostly to deal with trolls etc).

I find south Indians get along with Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and others much better overall than lots of Indians in real life.
TBH with you. I don't like Indians from the northern part... too arrogant about their military and country... I am like bruh chill if god willing he can destroy us in seconds and no use of all these arrogance.... the fruit of my struggle is still not found...

Q?
خاموش :lock:

TBH with you. I don't like Indians from the northern part... too arrogant about their military and country... I am like bruh chill if god willing he can destroy us in seconds and no use of all these arrogance.... the fruit of my struggle is still not found...

Its true to some extent....but I also know many humble northies and Pakistanis. In fact my best buddy from Bangladesh...his best friends (along with me, some other Bengalis and some local Canadians) are from Pakistan and North India respectively.

Not one time has he told me them two have put down Bangladesh in any way......but other Indians certainly have to his face....which I think is not proper at all (though he very famously exploded on them about India several years back....the details of which he has has never shared with me given we are best buds heh). I told him I don't take anything like that personally since I know people like that deserve it.....but he still says....you don't want to know what I said. Lol!

Yes they were my students generally people from hills- I remember some Mar tribe group- and they were always having issues with Naga tribe people not very friendly to each other- We had a Manipuri professor from plains but she was from different department so we couldn't interact much-

I think you mean Hmar tribe , they are not Manipuris in strict sense and ethnically belong to kuki-chin people (Mizo). Majority of them live in Mizoram , Assam and southern Manipur. While some Naga tribes like Thankuls and Zelianrong have some ethno-cultural connection with Manipuri people , Hmars and other Kuki-chin-mizo are relatively distant and separate community. Infact , it is said that they were last to arrive into N.E from Burma and southern China and hence the hostility with other communities in Manipur which is further aggravated by unstable political situation in Manipur , which is unfortunate.

I think you mean Hmar tribe , they are not Manipuris in strict sense and ethnically belong to kuki-chin people (Mizo). Majority of them live in Mizoram , Assam and southern Manipur. While some Naga tribes like Thankuls and Zelianrong have some ethno-cultural connection with Manipuri people , Hmars and other Kuki-chin-mizo are relatively distant and separate community. Infact , it is said that they were last to arrive into N.E from Burma and southern China and hence the hostility with other communities in Manipur which is further aggravated by unstable political situation in Manipur , which is unfortunate.

Yes one of them did mention China once- They have people employed in China-

Q?
you got wrong idea about north and south.. north indians generally behave like dic*s but once you are in their group they will treat you as part of their pack... so the initial sizing each other up bit (males do that all the time) is the difficult bit...
its much more fun to be in north indian group if you are a young male.

you will never be able to understand south indian language and so cannot really become their friends in true sense.. you will smile at them, they will smile at you.. thats pretty much is the extend you will go.

you will never be able to understand south indian language and so cannot really become their friends in true sense.. you will smile at them, they will smile at you.. thats pretty much is the extend you will go.

you are up to your naughty behaviour again. Go to the corner and face the wall....or you will get a paddling :D

you are up to your naughty behaviour again. Go to the corner and face the wall....or you will get a paddling :D
'friendship' does not exist in south india.... its just a collection of people eating dosa around same table.. :)
dosti yari is a pure north indian concept... it needs a lot of josh and vigour...

now you guys can fight....

'friendship' does not exist in south india.... its just a collection of people eating dosa around same table.. :)
dosti yari is a pure north indian concept... it needs a lot of josh and vigour...

now you guys can fight....

hahahaha props for that one :lol:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom