What's new

Why do Indians expect Bangladeshis to speak in Hindi?

There are similarities, Bengalis pick up Hindi from Hindi cinema, music and TV, but Hindi speakers who were not exposed to Bengali can start understanding Bengali in 3 to 7 days, and can start speaking it with a Hindi accent in a month or so...

okk. Thanks for clearing my doubts. I thought both languages are completely different from each other even in vocabulary and I thought neighbouring Hindi states must have had an effect on Bengalis speaking hindi.

Hindi and Bengali use same script- Maithli a version of Hindi spoken in Mithlanchal area of Bihar is the closest version of Hindi to Bengali-

I can read Hindi pretty well. I know from BD section that Bengali and Hindi script is not the same.

There are similarities, Bengalis pick up Hindi from Hindi cinema, music and TV, but Hindi speakers who were not exposed to Bengali can start understanding Bengali in 3 to 7 days, and can start speaking it with a Hindi accent in a month or so...

Scripts are not same, but again there are similarities. Formation of sentences is also similar, the only issue Bengalis face is is about the use of gender even for non-living objects in Hindi, that's damn confusing, :( and I have asked a few Hindi speakers, there is no specific rule or logic behind it...
spanish have same problem of gender...

If I was an Indian... I would expect Bengalis to speak Hindi because how much addicted they are with Bollywood, Indian tv in general... but as I am a Bangladeshi....
I was surprised to find many Indians don't speak Hindi...
Even this close friend of mine... South Indian girl... doesn't speak at all...
bengali speakers can pick hindi/urdu easily after little effort... south indians cant.. try to watch a bit of tamil movie on youtube...

Bihari Urdu is not the same as Classical Urdu- Bengali's connection to the Classical Urdu is limited within the period It was East Pakistan-
i meant hindustani.. nobody is expecting bdians to write urdu poetry...

I must disagree, I am a Maithili speaker of the Thetiya dialect and I and everyone else consider it a dialect of Hindi. I consider Maithili closer to Magadhi and Bhojpuri then Bengali.

Mithilaksar script (Tirhuta) is completely unique and shares absolutely no similarities with Assamese which is a distant land.

Please disagree.

Be my guest.

I am very fond of those who have nothing to back their cocky self-confident statements, but make them nevertheless.

Are you aware, for instance, that Mithilaksar, Assamese, Bengali, Manipuri scripts all sprang from the same roots in the 7th century AD? Are you aware that the Assamese language was spoken right across what is today north Bengal, into regions abutting those where Maithil is spoken? Have you even seen Assamese script?
I must disagree, I am a Maithili speaker of the Thetiya dialect and I and everyone else consider it a dialect of Hindi. I consider Maithili closer to Magadhi and Bhojpuri then Bengali.

Mithilaksar script (Tirhuta) is completely unique and shares absolutely no similarities with Assamese which is a distant land.

The arrogance of these puppies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirhuta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assamese_alphabet

I have the utmost respect for you however you have been drawn in by the false British method of classifying languages. Further research will show that Maithili is closer to Magadhi and Bhojpuri then to Bengali. And it's all irrelevant since Maithili is a dialect of Hindi and considered as such by native speakers.

The British linguists only looked at Mathili dialects in Eastern Bihar. Please read "Mithila in the age of Vidyapati".

Do enlighten us on the correct method of classifying languages. I sincerely hope that you will not end by proving that Sanskrit is the mother of all Aryan languages.

I have the utmost respect for you however you have been drawn in by the false British method of classifying languages. Further research will show that Maithili is closer to Magadhi and Bhojpuri then to Bengali. And it's all irrelevant since Maithili is a dialect of Hindi and considered as such by native speakers.

The British linguists only looked at Mathili dialects in Eastern Bihar. Please read "Mithila in the age of Vidyapati". The Kaithi script is more commonly used for Mathili.
can you write a few sentence in maithili and magadhi...

BD is just a Satellite State of India.....Obviously, It's the Duty & Obligation of every Bdian to learn the language of Masters!!
how many regional dialects you got in mp.... r u still in mp or chattisgarh?

This is very common abroad. Non resident Indians in these countries speak in Hindi with Bangladeshis even after knowing that he is Bangladeshi. Indians start talking in Hindi as if Bangladeshis can understand Hindi well.

During Gulshan attack coverage by Indian media the TV host talked live with Bangladeshis in Hindi. A Bangladeshi journalist requested him to ask question in English. Only then the Indian host asked him in English.

Why are Bangladeshis like you such whiney #$$#@s is the real question.

Why do Indians expect this or that blah blah blah....and this severe inferiority complex you have. You have some strange obsession with our country.....it is not healthy at all.

Stupid trolling thread. Maybe the other Bangladeshis are right and you are some loser false flagger with too much time on hands.

Has there been one intelligent thing coming out of you lately?

I mean the stupid "why do Turks have such western/european sounding names and looks" has to be the all time stupid thread by you....and you are still in the low pit unable to get out of it.

Odisha script is palm-leaf oriented and to the outsider, resembles the other palm-leaf scripts - Telugu, Tamizh, Malayalam, Kannada.

Tamil and Malayalam are quite different script from the upper deccan states script.

I can read most of the malayalam with a little bit of training/exposure (being a tamil)....but I cannot understand telugu, kannada script without learning it fully.

They all do share heritage even script wise (from brahmi)....but there are significant "streams" within them that occured long time back. I have to go to the pallava and sangam era temples and rocks to see Tamil script being a lot closer to the other parts of South India (and I need my dad or mom to help me read it....because it is so different).

Odisha as you have correctly noted forms from this influence....as does Sinhala.

Tamil and Malayalam seem to be a bit of the odd men out....probably because of what happened during pandya/chera/chola dynasties and their development of Tamil-Malayalam combined with further changes introduced by many others including the jesuit missionary Beschi.

This is very common abroad. Non resident Indians in these countries speak in Hindi with Bangladeshis even after knowing that he is Bangladeshi. Indians start talking in Hindi as if Bangladeshis can understand Hindi well.

During Gulshan attack coverage by Indian media the TV host talked live with Bangladeshis in Hindi. A Bangladeshi journalist requested him to ask question in English. Only then the Indian host asked him in English.
V sad! Indians want to put psychological brainwash to show them as they are same as Indians

As an Indian why do you not enlighten us? Is the question directed at BDs or your fellow countrymen?

Personally what's the big deal?

They were intellectuals rebels. Threat to Pakistan's unity. They were organizing anti-national campaigns. When police asked them to go back they didn't they insisted on staying there and attacked police, so they had to face retaliation. Always remember country is more important than a few individuals, especially when these people don't have country's interests in mind. Plus you are West Bengali, why so bothered about Bangladesh leave us alone plz

This is fundamentally inaccurate. You should read up on the topic.

Bengali is central to the identity of this nation and is second only to Islam. Pakistan itself would not exist without it.

You do great disservice in dismissing the sacrifices this nation have made in its struggle to sovereignty.

Last edited:
Why are Bangladeshis like you such whiney #$$#@s is the real question.

Why do Indians expect this or that blah blah blah....and this severe inferiority complex you have. You have some strange obsession with our country.....it is not healthy at all.

Stupid trolling thread. Maybe the other Bangladeshis are right and you are some loser false flagger with too much time on hands.

Has there been one intelligent thing coming out of you lately?

I mean the stupid "why do Turks have such western/european sounding names and looks" has to be the all time stupid thread by you....and you are still in the low pit unable to get out of it.

Tamil and Malayalam are quite different script from the upper deccan states script.

I can read most of the malayalam with a little bit of training/exposure (being a tamil)....but I cannot understand telugu, kannada script without learning it fully.

They all do share heritage even script wise (from brahmi)....but there are significant "streams" within them that occured long time back. I have to go to the pallava and sangam era temples and rocks to see Tamil script being a lot closer to the other parts of South India (and I need my dad or mom to help me read it....because it is so different).

Odisha as you have correctly noted forms from this influence....as does Sinhala.

Tamil and Malayalam seem to be a bit of the odd men out....probably because of what happened during pandya/chera/chola dynasties and their development of Tamil-Malayalam combined with further changes introduced by many others including the jesuit missionary Beschi.

Of course.

Telugu is classified as south-central Dravidian; Kannada, Tamil, and its breakaway, Malayalam, under southern. Tulu is southern. The proximity of Tamil and Malayalam is very high, but most Tamil speakers and Malayalam speakers have found that out for themselves without the help of linguists. Actually, if you care to think of it, Tamil and Kannada are also very close, and if I dared, I would reproduce pairs like halli=palli and so on to make that point (both my Tamil and my Kannada creak if I use them, so I shall spare you an excruciating five minutes and refrain from that comparison).

Kannada is not that difficult in terms of learning the basic alphabet, but to make progress in the written literature is a tangible effort. I have not been able to get around to it, even though Masti Venkatesh Iyengar was a distant relative of my wife's, and Veena Doreswami Iyengar and G. P. Rajaratnam very close relatives. There is a strange but constantly alive subterranean conflict of accent, and the Mysorean and the north Kanara exponents regard each other with amused disdain (the northerners call the two Hen-Kannada and Gund-Kannada, you may guess which is which, to the fury of the Mysoreans).

With this background, you will understand why there is a built-in curiousity about linguistics, and why I keep going off at the deep end from time to time.

On an off-topic, personal note: do you happen to know if the Guild of Service building still exists, on old Racecourse Road in Coimbatore? I have a personal, family connection to it, dating back nearly a century.

Actually, if you care to think of it, Tamil and Kannada are also very close, and if I dared, I would reproduce pairs like halli=palli and so on to make that point (both my Tamil and my Kannada creak if I use them, so I shall spare you an excruciating five minutes and refrain from that comparison).

Haha didn't know you know our languages. You are very correct, I find kannada (southern) quite easy too....it helps that I have many relatives in bangalore so my exposure to it as a lot more than normal too.

Is your Telugu good since you are in Hyderabad?

Kannada is not that difficult in terms of learning the basic alphabet, but to make progress in the written literature is a tangible effort. I have not been able to get around to it, even though Masti Venkatesh Iyengar was a distant relative of my wife's, and Veena Doreswami Iyengar and G. P. Rajaratnam very close relatives. There is a strange but constantly alive subterranean conflict of accent, and the Mysorean and the north Kanara exponents regard each other with amused disdain (the northerners call the two Hen-Kannada and Gund-Kannada, you may guess which is which, to the fury of the Mysoreans).

Your knowledge is quite extensive and spot on! Fascinating that you are linked somehow to such luminaries! I still read the great Mastis short stories from time to time (translated into Tamil).

On an off-topic, personal note: do you happen to know if the Guild of Service building still exists, on old Racecourse Road in Coimbatore? I have a personal, family connection to it, dating back nearly a century.

Haven't been down that part of town for some time in detail. But last time I was there in the precise neighbourhood (mid 2000s)....it was there and doing well....and I dont see any reason why it shouldn't still be.

Its quite close to where my dad was born and grew up.

I know the one in Chennai (guild of service) was shut down some years back unfortunately....no idea what the current situation with it is.

Haha didn't know you know our languages. You are very correct, I find kannada (southern) quite easy too....it helps that I have many relatives in bangalore so my exposure to it as a lot more than normal too.

Is your Telugu good since you are in Hyderabad?

My daughter, from her mother (Hebbar Iyengar Tamil, proper Tamil, Kannada, Bengali and a bit of Hindi) and from me (the less said the better) has learnt and is fluent to a different degree in Kannada, the Hebbar Tamil, regular Tamil, Hindi and Bengali; she is now learning French.

I am deeply ashamed to say that I have not done much about learning Telugu.

Your knowledge is quite extensive and spot on! Fascinating that you are linked somehow to such luminaries! I still read the great Mastis short stories from time to time (translated into Tamil).

Haven't been down that part of town for some time in detail. But last time I was there in the precise neighbourhood (mid 2000s)....it was there and doing well....and I dont see any reason why it shouldn't still be.

Its quite close to where my dad was born and grew up.

I know the one in Chennai (guild of service) was shut down some years back unfortunately....no idea what the current situation with it is.

Go look at the foundation stone of the Coimbatore building. It mentions a Mrs. B. K. Roy. That was my grand-mum. She was a barefoot bride from Bogra, when she got married, and finished with a Kaisar-i-Hind, playing tennis with the Governor's wife. She was the only one in the family who spoke Telugu, from her camp days with her husband in Rajahmundhry, Bhadrachalam and the Godavari country. She was a friend of Ida B. Scudder, and I remember seeing a letter from the great lady in my grandmother's writing table.

Yes having knowledge of Bengali comes in handy when in Assam- I have seen their script and It is the same- Didn't know about Manipuri as the occasional encounter I had with Manipuris, they were generally of Tribal communities-

Manipuris until recently used to use bengali script , which, they have replaced with their own ??metei script, and it appears to have a different origin from bengali ,assamese etc. I m not completely sure though , not much information in wikipedia.
I've learned from a manipuri (thankul naga) friend of mine ,that ,the older manipuri people irrespective of ethnicity could read bengali well , but may not understand it , newer generation folks use metei script ,becuase this is what being taught in schools now and probably that`s why the manipuris you encountered couldn't read or understand bengali (I presume they were young manipuris)
Perhaps, some senior member could provide us some more info.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom