What's new

Why did a soldier’s son join the Taliban?

During WW1, the pashtun/pathan soldiers (from tribal areas) in british indian army refuse to fight against turks due to religous reason.

Individuals in any army can have issues with a mission.

I seriously doubt if there was a large scale desertion or disobedience. Pathan soldiers were some of the bravest ones in WW1 and WW2. Sikhs off course always took the top honors.

It also depends on specific regions of KP. Peshwar, Charsadda, and Afridi tribe produced the best soldiers and officers int he British army. Waziris were the worst.

By the way do you have any names for the individuals, or rank or unit or perhaps the regiment name?

peace

Individuals in any army can have issues with a mission.

I seriously doubt if there was a large scale desertion or disobedience. Pathan soldiers were some of the bravest ones in WW1 and WW2. Sikhs off course always took the top honors.

It also depends on specific regions of KP. Peshwar, Charsadda, and Afridi tribe produced the best soldiers and officers int he British army. Waziris were the worst.

By the way do you have any names for the individuals, or rank or unit or perhaps the regiment name?

peace
Not much material on internet but mehsuds and afridis mutinied, while pathans of kohat and peshawer stayed loyal.
The 15th Lancers was only made a mixed regiment after its Pathan Muslim squadrons refused to fight against the Turks in Iraq in 1916.
The making of myths
Risaldar Muhammad Akram Khan
www.history.org.uk/file_download.php?ts=1302793898&id=8018
In Rangoon, the two Pathan companies mutinied and announced their refusal to
fight their Turkish co-religionists. Around 200 men were court martialled
The Soldier's Burden

Not much material on internet but mehsuds and afridis mutinied, while pathans of kohat and peshawer stayed loyal.
The 15th Lancers was only made a mixed regiment after its Pathan Muslim squadrons refused to fight against the Turks in Iraq in 1916.
The making of myths
Risaldar Muhammad Akram Khan
www.history.org.uk/file_download.php?ts=1302793898&id=8018
In Rangoon, the two Pathan companies mutinied and announced their refusal to
fight their Turkish co-religionists. Around 200 men were court martialled
The Soldier's Burden

Tiny tiny numbers had discipline issues.

The rest of the Pathans were loyal and fought bravely.

peace

I have been a lurker for a while and it's kinda hard for me to grab what exactly is it that's keeping the very fabric of Pakistan glued together. It's a genuine question and not a flame bait or anything. People here are divided on ethnicity, race, sects, language, political parties. what exactly is it because in my limited knowledge i don't thing it's religion.

you dont have any idea of pak.being not broken into diff countries doesnt mean it is glued together.in that sense,even kenya,sudan ,iraq are glued together.sunnis killing shias,muslims burning christian houses,mohajirs bombing public places in karachi,ttp ruling nwfp,balochs fighting for freedom.is this you call gluing together?

you dont have any idea of pak.being not broken into diff countries doesnt mean it is glued together.in that sense,even kenya,sudan ,iraq are glued together.sunnis killing shias,muslims burning christian houses,mohajirs bombing public places in karachi,ttp ruling nwfp,balochs fighting for freedom.is this you call gluing together?

Same thing with India. Compared to China (with comparable population), India is a hodgepodge of people cobbled together by the British

North vs. south

BIMARU vs. hard working states.

Conflict is there. it is the fate of countries with multi-lingual multi-cultural population. I mean how long will it take Indian south to rebel, as they know they work for their money, but BIMARUs just come and eat it.

Heck even BDesh with relatively homogenous population just went through bunch of killings.

so what they say

--- Those who live in glass house......

Shame on those pathans who stayed loyal.

So you are sending your "shame" on 1000s (if not more) of Pathans who fought bravely and played an active role in the defeat of Nazis.

I am sure you have a moral compass. Unfortunately it is pointing towards tribalism and uncouth uncivilized behavior.

pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing with India. Compared to China (with comparable population), India is a hodgepodge of people cobbled together by the British

North vs. south

BIMARU vs. hard working states.

Conflict is there. it is the fate of countries with multi-lingual multi-cultural population. I mean how long will it take Indian south to rebel, as they know they work for their money, but BIMARUs just come and eat it.

Heck even BDesh with relatively homogenous population just went through bunch of killings.

so what they say

--- Those who live in glass house......

For such a diverse country, India did a pretty decent job of creating a national identity. India's motto is unity in diversity while pakistan's is to become the land of 'pure'. So in spite of differences and misunderstandings, India strives to accommodate the differences while Pakistan strives to purge what ever is considered the other.

Again the same thing.A minority group of people are doing all this. But tell me why the majority of people remained silent. Let me give you an example.
Suppose my family has ten members out of which one is bad. he usually goes out and fights with the neighbour. he also fights with other family members. So is not it my duty to first stop him then ask him why he is doing this. When he started a fighting with neighbours, i remained silent. But when the same fighting with me, i start saying " oh, he is just one member. he does not represent my family." Why double standards ? when LeT killing Indians, its halal, but same group killing your people he is a terrorist ? why so ? why not call him freedom fighters ? I am yet to see a Pakistani who condemns the killing of Indians including women and children various terrorist attacks. I am yet to see a mard-e-momin mourning for kashmiri pandits.

and regarding britishers calling Bhagat Singh, terrorist, I dont care for that, because they said the same thing for Ashfaqullah Khan. They dont see it in terms of religion. But your fellow pakistanis, they consider every non-muslim freedom fighters as terrorist and islamic terrorists as mard-e-momin freedom fighters. and no, they are not in minority, otherwise, there would not be any cry when a chowk was named after Bhagat singh. so cheers.

And really, I am yet to see a the majority in mard-e-momin clan, who mourns for non-muslims in any where in the world, including your country.

Okay i know what your saying is right in a sense that something like this should be condemned but here is where your wrong when everyday innocent Pakistanis get killed i am even yet to see an indian say that it shouldn't happen but instead of that they usually justify that as if those ordinary people have wronged them personally which they haven't. Your right Muslims should condemn it as the majority does not believe in it but that point of yours is really valid as long as its killing non Muslims alone and we are sitting comfortably in our homes ignoring the violence yet most Indians in their blind hatred think Pakistanis don't deserve to live because they are supposedly at war with you. I honestly and not for making a point but honestly don't think that an ordinary Indian citizen doesn't have the right to live just because i don't agree with a few Indian policies its absurd. Can i hold you accountable for the actions of Indians that live abroad and indulge in illegal activities? I can't so an ordinary Muslim can voicehis/her opinion to condemn such things and people have done that repeatedly even scholars who get mocked for everything gave speeches and statements that killing innocents is not a part of Islam but the hypocrisy of the world is that they cherry pick all that suits their purpose and leave the rest. And again you misunderstood me i wasn't refering to a minority in the sense you took not linked at all to Bhagat singh i mean and as far mourning for everyone is concerned even if i said there are a lot of people like that you wouldn't want to believe it because all you can think of is millions of Pakistanis who are coldblooded enough to laugh at the killings of non Muslims which is certainly not the case.

For such a diverse country, India did a pretty decent job of creating a national identity. India's motto is unity in diversity while pakistan's is to become the land of 'pure'. So in spite of differences and misunderstandings, India strives to accommodate the differences while Pakistan strives to purge what ever is considered the other.

You my dear are confusing central states with border states.

Pakistan itself is a border country, and thus our border areas are worst hit due to many many reasons.

Only Indian North east comes a bit close to Pakistani border areas.

However Indian north east is not suffering as much, because there is no international war going on in the neighboring country.

Thus given the exact same circumstances, and exact same geograhpy, Indian state will suffer as much if not more compared to Pakistan.

Unfortunately many Indians fail to account for all the factors that are needed for a good controlled study.

This could be due to ignorance, or arrogance or both.

peace

p.s. Many Pakistanis do not realize similar factors while analyzing India, and thus they too reach wrong conclusions.

You my dear are confusing central states with border states.

Pakistan itself is a border country, and thus our border areas are worst hit due to many many reasons.

Only Indian North east comes a bit close to Pakistani border areas.

However Indian north east is not suffering as much, because there is no international war going on in the neighboring country.

Thus given the exact same circumstances, and exact same geograhpy, Indian state will suffer as much if not more compared to Pakistan.

Unfortunately many Indians fail to account for all the factors that are needed for a good controlled study.

This could be due to ignorance, or arrogance or both.

peace

p.s. Many Pakistanis do not realize similar factors while analyzing India, and thus they too reach wrong conclusions.

The conditions are of course very different. But I do believe Pakistan is less accommodation of differences.

So you are sending your "shame" on 1000s (if not more) of Pathans who fought bravely and played an active role in the defeat of Nazis.

I am sure you have a moral compass. Unfortunately it is pointing towards tribalism and uncouth uncivilized behavior.

pathetic.

Shame on those indian muslim soldiers who fought against turks, shame on those who opened fire in Makkah.

Shame on those indian muslim soldiers who fought against turks,....

I think you are now being too selective and obviously myopic.

WW-1 was one time event. Turks have fired on plenty of Muslims before and after than, and Other Muslims have fired on plenty of Turks before and after that, and Turk themselves have fired upon other turks before and after that.

Your mindset reflects the typical desi Muslims' intellectual slavery to anything with crescent and star on it.

History be damned, military strategy be damned, Turkey picking wrong allies, well their decision be damned.

you will just be slave to Mullah-ism.

.... shame on those who opened fire in Makkah.

Arabs themsleves have fired more times on Makkah than any Muslim from South Asia.

In fact Pakistani army has done more for peace in that part of the world than many many Arab countries.

And yet you repeat like parrot, the same old $hit against your own people, just because some Mullah looking guy told you so.

Read up some my bro, read up.

Don't be a blind follower.

peace

I think you are now being too selective and obviously myopic.

WW-1 was one time event. Turks have fired on plenty of Muslims before and after than, and Other Muslims have fired on plenty of Turks before and after that, and Turk themselves have fired upon other turks before and after that.

Your mindset reflects the typical desi Muslims' intellectual slavery to anything with crescent and star on it.

History be damned, military strategy be damned, Turkey picking wrong allies, well their decision be damned.

you will just be slave to Mullah-ism.

Arabs themsleves have fired more times on Makkah than any Muslim from South Asia.

In fact Pakistani army has done more for peace in that part of the world than many many Arab countries.

And yet you repeat like parrot, the same old $hit against your own people, just because some Mullah looking guy told you so.

Read up some my bro, read up.

Don't be a blind follower.

peace

No respect for any british indian army soldier (whether pathan, punjabi or any muslim) who fought against tribals and Afghanistan for farangis....
They were fighting for farangis against muslims so i am sure they are rotting in hell.

Back
Top Bottom