What's new

Why a BVR missile like The Astra is so scary

BVR missiles are scary in general. Just ask Abhinandan when he was struck down by an AIM120C5
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY!!!

hindi2.jpg

BVR missiles are scary in general. Just ask Abhinandan when he was struck down by an AIM120C5
Are you out of your mind? Nandu shot our F16 and then purposely crashed his Mig-21 so we could call it a hit from our side and save face. Such a nice guy. He pretended to like our tea, as well.

The physical parameters of the Mark 1 version of Astra being produced now is similar to those of the AIM-120C5. Astra, in fact, can travel at 4.5 Mach while the AIM 120C has a top speed of 4 Mach.

The range of the Astra Mk1 is also more – 80 to 110 km in a head-on chase – whereas the AIM 120C has a range of only 80 km in a head-on chase. Being smoke-free and equipped with a two-way data link, the Astra Mk1’s stealth capabilities are also more than the US-made BVRAAM
View attachment 915506
AIM120C5 is combat tested. As we all saw......hehehehehehehehehehe

India has only one kind of BVR missile that can create any problems for PAF and that is Meteor. The R-77s are outdated and even 10 km less range then PAF's SD-10s. The Astra is of the least of our concerns. India is just an amateur, a newbie in air to air tech. These tech needs decades to get mature. The micro & nanotechnology sectors, the missile engine rotors and several other area. None is where india has any name. No IAF pilot will feel secure equipped with these.

In my opinion, top BVR missiles of Sub-continent:

1) Meteor
2) PL-15E
3) AIM-120C (AMRAAM)
4) SD-10
5) R-77
6) Astra

If I'd be a bias person, I would have placed PL-15E at top. I only placed it below Meteor because I think french air-air tech has decades of maturity. Though china also is in the game for quite a while but still i placed french above. Most of PL-15s specs are unknown like NEZ etc. Who knows if it's even far better. Only time will tell.

Let's see if in 2-3 years Pakistan make a missile with stated range of 100 km+ . That would easily come in this list. Would you be scared of that missile ?

How reliably the missile can engage the enemy targets? Those targets are not static targets but supersonic targets that are maneuvering and employing electronic warfare and several other mechanisms to beat the incoming missile. Can your missile survive dense EW environment along with all those factors ? This is the main thing and these things mature with time.

Getting max range (and that too on paper) is one thing. Getting maturity in air-air tech is another thing. How complex & advance its radar is ? How advance its tracking system is ? How advance its software are ? How reliable its engine is ? A newbie can never claim to be right at top. You need decades. India has entered in this arena, I will consider indian air-air missiles worthy of consideration after a decade or so. India will most likely use Meteor as its main BVR missile in any of the conflict and if india acquires F-16Vs or F-15EX as part of MMRCA, then AMRAAMS & Meteors will india's go to missile for a decade or so. until it's own missiles are matured.

How reliably the missile can engage the enemy targets? Those targets are not static targets but supersonic targets that are maneuvering and employing electronic warfare and several other mechanisms to beat the incoming missile. Can your missile survive dense EW environment along with all those factors ? This is the main thing and these things mature with time.
It's like MMM-E's claims of Turkish superweapons. Both Indians and Turks compare them with Western and Chinese equipment,as if range and speed is the only thing that counts.

Chinese equipments are combat proven? Didn't knew that?

LMAO! Don't compare yourself with China!. China became nuclear power in early 1960s, it started building fighter aircrafts in 1960s. Last 3 decades has seen unprecedented revolution in tech & economy. You can't make an entire space station without any technology. Guess what China is the only nation to have its very own space station.

Comparing youselves with China is like comparing an ant with an elephant. India is at the place where China was 20 years ago. Still india is doing good progress and it has entered into the game. But it will take time. Don't put yourselves right at top that just making a joke out of yourself.

I don't think some of these comments are worth answering.

India has only one kind of BVR missile that can create any problems for PAF and that is Meteor. The R-77s are outdated and even 10 km less range then PAF's SD-10s. The Astra is of the least of our concerns. India is just an amateur, a newbie in air to air tech. These tech needs decades to get mature. The micro & nanotechnology sectors, the missile engine rotors and several other area. None is where india has any name. No IAF pilot will feel secure equipped with these.

In my opinion, top BVR missiles of Sub-continent:

1) Meteor
2) PL-15E
3) AIM-120C (AMRAAM)
4) SD-10
5) R-77
6) Astra

If I'd be a bias person, I would have placed PL-15E at top. I only placed it below Meteor because I think french air-air tech has decades of maturity. Though china also is in the game for quite a while but still i placed french above. Most of PL-15s specs are unknown like NEZ etc. Who knows if it's even far better. Only time will tell.

Your planes are outdated and most of them are over 40 years old.

Everything that India makes or imports is a “game changer” until it fails. Arjun was the best tank in the world but then they had to import 1,500 T90s from Russia, which is basically a souped up T72. They introduced the INSAS rifle in the 90s and now they are importing off the shelf rifles from the US. INSAS might be the rifle with the shortest service life. They bought Mirage 2000 and MiG 29s to offset the F16s and they still say “if we had the Rafael”

Back
Top Bottom