What's new

Why a BVR missile like The Astra is so scary

India has only one kind of BVR missile that can create any problems for PAF and that is Meteor. The R-77s are outdated and even 10 km less range then PAF's SD-10s. The Astra is of the least of our concerns. India is just an amateur, a newbie in air to air tech. These tech needs decades to get mature. The micro & nanotechnology sectors, the missile engine rotors and several other area. None is where india has any name. No IAF pilot will feel secure equipped with these.

In my opinion, top BVR missiles of Sub-continent:

1) Meteor
2) PL-15E
3) AIM-120C (AMRAAM)
4) SD-10
5) R-77
6) Astra

If I'd be a bias person, I would have placed PL-15E at top. I only placed it below Meteor because I think french air-air tech has decades of maturity. Though china also is in the game for quite a while but still i placed french above. Most of PL-15s specs are unknown like NEZ etc. Who knows if it's even far better. Only time will tell.
Astra is better than R77 and SD 10. It also outclasses AIm120C5 used by Pakistan. The only missle in pak arsenal which truly outclasses it is PL15E

It's like MMM-E's claims of Turkish superweapons. Both Indians and Turks compare them with Western and Chinese equipment,as if range and speed is the only thing that counts.
Its about making an effort to produce indigenous weapons, india can very well slap derby, meteors and R77s on it's fighters but that would mean imports, why import one when you can make it urself ? This is how every nation starts producing it's own equipment. If stats for the astra are to be believed it has better performance than both the PL12 and AIM120C5. I'm not sure about the credibility of the stats but that's literally the only source there is

Everything that India makes or imports is a “game changer” until it fails. Arjun was the best tank in the world but then they had to import 1,500 T90s from Russia, which is basically a souped up T72. They introduced the INSAS rifle in the 90s and now they are importing off the shelf rifles from the US. INSAS might be the rifle with the shortest service life. They bought Mirage 2000 and MiG 29s to offset the F16s and they still say “if we had the Rafael”

Why won't it be 'game changer'? Our prime competitor is Pakistan. Last time you didn't have money to buy petrol let alone new weapons.

India has only one kind of BVR missile that can create any problems for PAF and that is Meteor. The R-77s are outdated and even 10 km less range then PAF's SD-10s. The Astra is of the least of our concerns. India is just an amateur, a newbie in air to air tech. These tech needs decades to get mature. The micro & nanotechnology sectors, the missile engine rotors and several other area. None is where india has any name. No IAF pilot will feel secure equipped with these.

In my opinion, top BVR missiles of Sub-continent:

1) Meteor
2) PL-15E
3) AIM-120C (AMRAAM)
4) SD-10
5) R-77
6) Astra

If I'd be a bias person, I would have placed PL-15E at top. I only placed it below Meteor because I think french air-air tech has decades of maturity. Though china also is in the game for quite a while but still i placed french above. Most of PL-15s specs are unknown like NEZ etc. Who knows if it's even far better. Only time will tell.
Calling IAF a newbie in air to air tech is a result of your lack of research and ignorance, we were the first to introduce this tech to south asia, the IAF has possesed BVRs for way longer than PAF has, when you were flying with sidewinders on your falcons back in the 80s , we already had fulcrums with R77

It's like MMM-E's claims of Turkish superweapons. Both Indians and Turks compare them with Western and Chinese equipment,as if range and speed is the only thing that counts.
Turks don't do this as much as Indians. Indians are just mostly low IQ, easily believe in Indian soopa powa vedic weapons.

MMM-E is a unique case.

I highly recommend the moderators to clean up most Indian members on this forum. Lately there has been an upsurge of Indians on PDF. The Indians have been behaving like trolls in almost every single topic. I usually never tag mods, but on this occasion I will make an exception. I will immediately tag one of the most reliable mods available on PDF.

@waz

Screenshot_20230208-180410~3.png

I highly recommend the moderators to clean up most Indian members on this forum. Lately there has been an upsurge of Indians on PDF. The Indians have been behaving like trolls in almost every single topic. I usually never tag mods, but on this occasion I will make an exception. I will immediately tag one of the most reliable mods available on PDF.

@waz
I second this. The trolling is no longer subtle, it is ruing the quality of discussion and pragmatism, turning PDF purely into a trolling ground.

Many false flaggers and trolls are given free hand which has ruined this forum.

@LeGenD @WebMaster Please look into this

Why won't it be 'game changer'? Our prime competitor is Pakistan. Last time you didn't have money to buy petrol let alone new weapons
You can buy all the new shiny weapons you want, you will still fail. It takes more than weapons, it takes balls, which you guys never had and never will. And who needs petrol. We can send a nuke on a Donkey into India and will have the same effect. No fancy delivery system needed.

BTW we have better and longer range BVR including both American and Chinese so your Astra like all your game changers is basically an A$$.

As far as our current economic issues are concerned many countries have had such foreign currency reserves issues including Greece, Argentina, Turkey, and even South Korea. It is primarily a US dominated system that requires US dollar as the reserve currency. If Pakistan does default, it will be our contribution to removing US dollar as the reserve currency.

Last edited:
Why go through so much trouble,
just use coconut oil as fuel and put a tika on the missile.
It will travel at Mach 10 and range of 1000 km.

Brother, you had me at the tikka part. Lol

So, they have a fighter that's not gotten off the food trailer in the last 40 years and has to be driven around. How are they going to use this missile in sling-shot mode?

slingshot-admin-1650548181.jpg

@Windjammer @Primus

Last edited:
Calling IAF a newbie in air to air tech is a result of your lack of research and ignorance, we were the first to introduce this tech to south asia, the IAF has possesed BVRs for way longer than PAF has, when you were flying with sidewinders on your falcons back in the 80s , we already had fulcrums with R77
He is not calling IAF a newbie in using air-to-air tech but Indian made missile

I second this. The trolling is no longer subtle, it is ruing the quality of discussion and pragmatism, turning PDF purely into a trolling ground.

Many false flaggers and trolls are given free hand which has ruined this forum.

@LeGenD @WebMaster Please look into this

Patience, my very young padawan.

I checked this thread.

It looks like you guys are having so much fun. :meeting:

Back
Top Bottom