What's new

Who was the Greatest Emperor in South Asian History?

Who was the Greatest emperor in South Asia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^
My vote is for Ashoka, Babur and Ranjit Singh.

* It appears that Ashoka was a bloodthirsty beast although that does not detract from his military conquests. According to Wiki.

"Ashoka is said to have been of a wicked nature and bad temper. He submitted his ministers to a test of loyalty and had 500 of them killed. He also kept a harem of around 500 women. When a few of these women insulted him, he had the whole lot of them burnt to death. He also built hell on earth, an elaborate and horrific torture chamber. This torture chamber earned him the name of Chand Ashoka (Sanskrit), meaning Ashoka the Fierce".[5]

so dude your criteria of greatness is military conquests of Emperor irrespective of how they did it and how they treated to those whom they ruled

Yes. By definition a Emperor is not a elected liberal from the Green Party.
Well Asoka did became liberal in later half of his life after the war of kalinga.first half of his life was same as Aurangzaib(both killed brothers to capture the throne).But then similarity lies in the fact that mauryan empire declined after Asoka as like Mughal empire started declining after Aurangzaib.

orta_asya.jpg

The people who spoke the Indo-European languages have created larger empires.

^^

* It appears that Ashoka was a bloodthirsty beast although that does not detract from his military conquests. According to Wiki.

"Ashoka is said to have been of a wicked nature and bad temper. He submitted his ministers to a test of loyalty and had 500 of them killed. He also kept a harem of around 500 women. When a few of these women insulted him, he had the whole lot of them burnt to death. He also built hell on earth, an elaborate and horrific torture chamber. This torture chamber earned him the name of Chand Ashoka (Sanskrit), meaning Ashoka the Fierce".[5]

God damn.... He was a sick mother fer..

Yes. By definition a Emperor is not a elected liberal from the Green Party.

I know and may be all empire began with a series of wars and bloodshed but atrocities of emperor vary from ruler to ruler..some of them were more ruthless than others

Alauddin Khilji

While I don't think he was the "greatest" emperor in S Asian history, he does deserve to be one of the choices on the poll

^^

bro so i don't think according to this defination ashoka was great emperopr because mostly part conquered by chandragupta morya not ashoka .and you forget only great emperor (rajendra chola=chola empire) who attack out of the indian subcontinent and capture almost whole south east asia.

How do you define a great emperor. They should be emperors (conquering multiple countries) and they should be great( people should remember them fondly centuries after they are dead.Not for the skull mountains they created.)
That i think will reduce the focus to Akbar or Ashoka

Rajendra Chola by a far far distance. Both Chandra Gupta Maurya and Rajendra Chola fought against foreign powers outside of South Asia whereas others were frogs in the well. And between these two, I would rate Rajendra Chola as the greatest as he went all the way to Sri Vijaya Kingdom(rated as one of the top 20 greatest kingdoms in another article and was discussed here in the same forum a few months back) and sacked the capital in a show of naval power(and defeated other kingdoms as well) whereas Chandra Gupta Maurya defeated the Greek satraps but made peace later with Seleucus by marrying his daughter.

Greatest Emperor in South Asian history

general_musharraf.jpg

Voted for Chandragupta maurya .
I loved his act with chanakya . It was probably the greatest act that i came across.
I loved the KOOTNITI theory :tup:

Chandragupta Maurya
Ashoka
Ranjit Singh
Chandragupta Vikramaditya
Samudra Gupta
Chatrapati Shivaji
Rajendra Chola

Ironic but true! No one knows who they were except perhaps Ranjit Singh, Chandragupta Maurya and Ashoka (only bcoz of that Shahurukh movie). Thre rest I don't even know who they are or were. Gupta I think was from present day Bihar, so it has very little to do with Pakistani history. The rest I don't know, heard their names for the first time. Will do some research on them later.

Even most Pakistanis agree that Chandragupta Maurya ruled over Pakistan:
The pass itself is a witness to history, and has seen countless invaders and great warriors enter the rich lands of subcontinent to seek their fortunes and build empires. A notable few, like Chandragupta Maurya have also gone the other way, into Afghanistan.

Beyond the Bab-e-Khyber – The Express Tribune

BY the way Chandragupta a Jatt.

Greatest Emperor in South Asian history

general_musharraf.jpg
Greatest idiot in South Asian history and a loser.

^^

* It appears that Ashoka was a bloodthirsty beast although that does not detract from his military conquests.

Ashoka had a bad reputation in his early days. He killed all of his brothers for the throne. But after seeing the level of violence in "battle of Kalinga" changed his heart and he embraced Buddhism. After that he become a good king caring about his people and spreading the message of Buddhism everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom