What's new

Who Was The Best Fighter Pilot Ever ?

One guy that deserves mentioning is George Beurling.
Canadian Pilot which perfected deflection shooting.
Some of his early kills were rejected initially,
because the gun cameras showed nothing.
He was pointing his nose elsewhere, and the cameras stopped
before the prey entered its view.

Shot down 27 Axis planes in just two weeks over Malta.
At this rate, it would be 700 in a Year.

He was known to detect planes at a much longer range than fellow pilots
and the reason was that he learned to scan over the sky
instead of focusing. This is now standard practise.

His most important feat was when he shot down a fighter at 700 meters range,
which is believed to be the longest range kill of WW2.

George Beurling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muhammad Mahmood Alam (Urdu: محمد محمود عالم‎) (known as "M.M. Alam"; born Muhammad Mahmud Alam; 6 July 1935 – 18 March 2013) was[2] a Pakistani fighter pilot, North American F-86 SabreFlying aceand one-star general who served with the Pakistan Air Force. Squadron Leader Muhammad Mahmud Alam, Commander of No 11 Squadron, was already a notable leader and highly experienced pilot in 1965, when he was awarded the Sitara-e-Jurat ("The star of courage"), a Pakistanimilitary decoration, for his actions during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. In earning his decorations, Alam downed five Indian aircraft in less than a minute – the first four within 30 seconds – establishing a world record. He also excelled in gunnery competition, a skill that without a doubt contributed greatly to his becoming the first and the only jet ace in one mission.
Can You tell me the names of the pilots shot down by M M Alam ?

Anything besides Wiki.

The best fighter pilot of all time was Hans Joachim Marseille..

Even Erich Hartmann claimed this...

Hans Joachim Marseille achived some astonishing records..
On 3. June 1942 he attacked allone 16 P-40, he shoot down 6... 5 of them in 6 Minutes, more amazing is that 3 of the 5 he downed in 6minutes were acess (Robin Pare, Cecil Golding and Andre Botha)
At his best day(1. September 1942) he shoot down 17 enemy aircraft ..8 of the 17 in 10minutes. British historyan did not belive this number and claimed that day no planes were shoot down ...latest research tell a different story, that day the brits lost way more than 17 fighter exactly in the area Marseilles claimed his victorys.

Obv Erich Hartmann have the most kills ever was never shot down by enemy after him there are dozens or should i say hundreds of German pilots from both WW1 & WW2.

???????????:disagree:

What makes you say that???????
FOR ONCE GET YOUR HEADS & RECORDS STRAIGHT. I am the famous Shams . I shot 4 not 3 , I left in 1976 to fly in PIA for 10 years, moved to USA & flew Airlines, Corporate & Saudi Royals.
Mohammad Shamsul Haq sj
changed my name to
SHAMS A. CHOHAAN (still SJ)
Sept 1st. 2018
schohaan@gmail.com

Sir,

Rafiqui was shot down by and average indian pilot---.

The indian pilot made the move to get behind Rafiqui and shot him----if Rafiqui was that great---it would not have happened.

It is stated that Rafiqui's guns got jammed---so instead of saving his plane and a million dollar pilot----he chose to hang around faking tail chases---.

He broke the cardinal rule----stayed in the battlefield when his aircraft was not battle worthy---.

You can't build a battleship in the middle of a short war---you cannot produce a superstar pilot in two weeks.

I want to know what did he get out of it by hanging around----after his guns jammed---he was pretty much neutralized within 30 seconds maybe 45. So---what did he do?
he didnt run and away and stayed as a moral support for his fellows!

Sarfaraz Ahmed Rafiqui - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sarfar...

Sqn Ldr Sarfaraz Ahmad Rafiqui
(Hilal-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Jurat)

On 6 September, 1965, Squadron Leader Sarfaraz Ahmad Rafiqui led a formation of 3 F-86 aircraft on a strike against Halwaraairfield. The formation was intercepted by about 10 Hunter aircraft out of which Squadron Leader Rafiqui accounted for one in the first few seconds. But then his guns jammed due to a defect and stopped firing. However, Rafiqui refused to leave the battle area which he would have been perfectly justified to do; instead he ordered his No. 2 to take over as leader and continue the engagement while he tried to give the formation as much protection as was possible with an unarmed aircraft. This called on the part of Squadron Leader Rafiqui. The end for him was never in doubt but he chose to disregard it and, in the process, his aircraft was shot down and he was killed but not before enabling his formation to shoot down 3 more Hunter aircraft. Rafiqui’s conduct was clearly beyond the call of duty and conformed to the highest traditions of leadership and bravery in battle against overwhelming odds. For this and his earlier exploits, he is awarded Hilal-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Jurat.

Sarfaraz Ahmed Rafiqui - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sarfar...

Sqn Ldr Sarfaraz Ahmad Rafiqui
(Hilal-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Jurat)

On 6 September, 1965, Squadron Leader Sarfaraz Ahmad Rafiqui led a formation of 3 F-86 aircraft on a strike against Halwaraairfield. The formation was intercepted by about 10 Hunter aircraft out of which Squadron Leader Rafiqui accounted for one in the first few seconds. But then his guns jammed due to a defect and stopped firing. However, Rafiqui refused to leave the battle area which he would have been perfectly justified to do; instead he ordered his No. 2 to take over as leader and continue the engagement while he tried to give the formation as much protection as was possible with an unarmed aircraft. This called on the part of Squadron Leader Rafiqui. The end for him was never in doubt but he chose to disregard it and, in the process, his aircraft was shot down and he was killed but not before enabling his formation to shoot down 3 more Hunter aircraft. Rafiqui’s conduct was clearly beyond the call of duty and conformed to the highest traditions of leadership and bravery in battle against overwhelming odds. For this and his earlier exploits, he is awarded Hilal-i-Jurat and Sitara-i-Jurat.
He is one, who I always believe should have been awarded with Nishaan e HAidar..

%E2%80%98I-Am-Not-Supposed-To-Tell-You-That%E2%80%99-is-an-emotion-featured-image-1-433x242.png

From my POV, it is Hans Ulrich Rudel.

Rudel flew 500 missions on the Eastern Front between 1940 and 1942, which is god damned impressive, especially when you consider that U.S. bomber pilots were usually allowed to go home after completing 25 missions without dying (an incredibly rare achievement in its own right). The German hurricane of bombicide was awarded the Knight's Cross a couple times (including once when he was given the award by The Red Baron's cousin), and returned home with enough awards and honors to snap a camel in half. He was made an instructor at a German flight school, and asked to train new recruits in how to be awesome at flying Stukas, but Rudel got bored of that shit pretty quickly and requested to return to the battlefield. He was made squadron commander, flew 500 more missions between 1942 and '43, killed twelve T-34 tanks in one day during the Battle of Kursk, and made such a name for himself as a destroyer of Russian shit that Stalin himself put a huge bounty out on Rudel's head.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/rudel.html

Sgt Maj Ilmari Juutilainen (1914–1999), Finnish Air Force. He scored a total of 94 victories on 437 missions 1939–1944. The reason why I selected him as the best was that a) he was never shot down himself b) he never received a single bullet hole in his aircraft in air combat and c) he never lost a wingman in combat.

main-qimg-4f14b65a5586be50ed4f6ba72572172b-lq

Ilmari Juutilainen was born in Lieksa, Finland. He joined the Finnish Air Force as a conscript mechanic in 1932. After his tour of duty, he applied to aviator training, and gained his fighter pilot’s wings in 1935 as Sergeant, flying Gloster Gamecocks (GA). He was promoted as Senior Sergeant in 1937, now flying Fokker D.XXI (FR), his unit being Lentolaivue 24 (LeLv 24).

main-qimg-5ec1eb971e155ae3c16119b808b2c2e3-lq

He began scoring in December 1939, Winter War, and he scored 2.1666 victories on FR. He remained in service during the Interim Peace, and when the hostilities erupted again in June 1941, he began to score again, this time on Brewster 239 (BW). He became an ace in late June 1941.

main-qimg-d57d6839c28c5789b7b83d3b68945ddb-lq

SSGT Juutilainen and BW-364 in winter 1941–1942. BW-364 is possibly the highest scoring airframe (41 victories) ever. The white bars on fin are “scalps”, victory markings.

He scored a total of 36 victories on BW. When the FinnAF began to receive Messerschmitt Bf 109G (MT) in 1943, Juutilainen was one of the aviators selected to a newly-founded “ace squadron”, LeLv 34.

Juutilainen quickly found MT as an able mount, and his scores increased rapidly. His initial personal mount was MT-222, on which he scored 16 victories.

main-qimg-00d6af00f543852b2f8964c3d95eacd7-lq

In March 1944, the Bf 109 G-2 gear was transferred to Juutilainen’s old unit, LeLv 24, and LeLv 34 received new Bf 109G-6 equipment. He scored a total of 30 victories during the Soviet Summer Offensive May to July 1944, most on MT-457.

main-qimg-514b26c017a55d02c54606af230ea778-lq

His great day was 30 July 1944, when he scored six victories on one single flight. He scored his last victory on 3 September 1944, a day before the armistice. It was also the last victory in the Continuation War.

He resigned the Air Force service after the war, but kept his pilot’s skills honed, and flew for the last time in 1997. He received the Mannerheim Cross, the highest Finnish military decoration, twice; in 1942 and 1944.

What were makings of the highest scoring non-German ace?

Juutilainen bore high intelligence and an uncanny ability on decision-making. It is said there are old fighter pilots and bold fighter pilots, but no old bold fighter pilots - but he was an exception. He was incredibly courageous - willing to take risks, but never reckless risks.

Having served as a mechanic, he had excellent knowledge of various aircraft, what they could do, and what they couldn’t do. He used this knowledge as his asset, and used this knowledge on fighting the Soviet aircraft. He was an excellent aerobatic, and would often do uncanny manoeuvres (skids, snap rolls, falling leaves and like) in the combat. He was also an excellent huntsman, and knew how to take lead with his gunsight.

But most of all, he was a leader of humans. He often tutored younger pilots, and he never lost a wingman.

I have had the honour to meet him in person. He was a true gentleman.

The best fighter pilot of all time was Hans Joachim Marseille..

Even Erich Hartmann claimed this...

Hans Joachim Marseille achived some astonishing records..
On 3. June 1942 he attacked allone 16 P-40, he shoot down 6... 5 of them in 6 Minutes, more amazing is that 3 of the 5 he downed in 6minutes were acess (Robin Pare, Cecil Golding and Andre Botha)
At his best day(1. September 1942) he shoot down 17 enemy aircraft ..8 of the 17 in 10minutes. British historyan did not belive this number and claimed that day no planes were shoot down ...latest research tell a different story, that day the brits lost way more than 17 fighter exactly in the area Marseilles claimed his victorys.

And here is the guy that defeated Hans-Joachim Marseille - TWICE,
and did it in a Hurricane…

Back
Top Bottom