What's new

Which type of tank is more suitable for Pakistan?

zhangjt

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
China
This is an If question.

If Pakistan has no MBT2000, and Pakistan could choose from 96A and 99A. Which type of tank is more suitable for Pakistan?

Could you tell me your points of view about this question from the aspects of price,georgaphy,strategy and so on?

This is my first thread. I don't know whether it is right according to this forum's regulation.If it is improper, please delete it.Thanks a lot for the help of the administrator.

both type 96 would be more effective in northern(punjab) areas while...type 99 would be suitable for desert terrain in sindh...Pak would prob buy some of both

ak2 could be something like type 99 series

heavy tank

Thanks,I have noticed the data of ak2. Just like what you have said. So it is very expensive than 96A.

The price of 96A is about 1/3 of 99A.( I'am not sure.)
For Pakistan, Which is better,"more tanks " or "better tanks"?

both type 96 would be more effective in northern(punjab) areas while...type 99 would be suitable for desert terrain in sindh...Pak would prob buy some of both

Thanks.
96a weighs 42 tons,compared to 99A'S 50 tons. I guess one of the most important factor is the logistics if buying the two types.

Pakistan only adopt light combat tank with agility and survive in extreme hot weather. Pak Eastern front is marshy and muddy fields, where heavy tank is sitting duck. Where Western front is mountain and steep and narrow path with lots of ridges. That's the reason Pak decline US M1AI decline by Pak army during Zia era. Plus Russian/Chinese tanks are very easy and quickly fixed in battle field.

Thanks,I have noticed the data of ak2. Just like what you have said. So it is very expensive than 96A.

The price of 96A is about 1/3 of 99A.( I'am not sure.)
For Pakistan, Which is better,"more tanks " or "better tanks"?

Thanks.
96a weighs 42 tons,compared to 99A'S 50 tons. I guess one of the most important factor is the logistics if buying the two types.

It's not just the logistics but also where those tanks would be used. Terrain matters a lot, as Most of Pakistan's eastern border where tanks would be used is either desert or plain fields. So we need a tank that is reliable and can perform day/night in hot/dusty and sandy conditions.

Pakistan only adopt light combat tank with agility and survive in extreme hot weather. Pak Eastern front is marshy and muddy fields, where heavy tank is sitting duck. Where Western front is mountain and steep and narrow path with lots of ridges. That's the reason Pak decline US M1AI decline by Pak army during Zia era. Plus Russian/Chinese tanks are very easy and quickly fixed in battle field.
Weight as such is not the issue, specific ground pressure is (i.e. tons per cm2: you can weigh more but if you have relatively large track area, your ground pressure will be comparatively low)

Russian and their chinease copies are light and cheap . You can buy in large nos. But they lack armour protection and modern battlefield communication systems . Both the chinease with type 99 and India have started to include heaveir armoured tanks realising you need both types. But they cost more money .

the Patton M47/48 which was a medium tank performed well in the 65 conflict. by 71 due to spares shortage they were not a factor. PK terrain in the south cholistan desert dosnt allow for heavy tanks aka Abrams type. for such tanks one also needs the road and bridge infrastructure which is inadequate. in the punjab, one will encounter numerous canals and river(ines) so in my opinion, modern medium tanks would be manoueverable in such terrain - the other thing is that are MBT's viable in modern day war? with such weapons available as ATGW and armed helos (tank busters). one can have the best tanks in the world but if the tank commanders and their crews are not well trained, then one can lose to a much inferior opponent. finally the availability of a well oiled logistics supply chain is very important to keep up with the fast advancing tank columns. so tanks alone are not enough.

the Patton M47/48 which was a medium tank performed well in the 65 conflict. by 71 due to spares shortage they were not a factor. PK terrain in the south cholistan desert dosnt allow for heavy tanks aka Abrams type. for such tanks one also needs the road and bridge infrastructure which is inadequate. in the punjab, one will encounter numerous canals and river(ines) so in my opinion, modern medium tanks would be manoueverable in such terrain - the other thing is that are MBT's viable in modern day war? with such weapons available as ATGW and armed helos (tank busters). one can have the best tanks in the world but if the tank commanders and their crews are not well trained, then one can lose to a much inferior opponent. finally the availability of a well oiled logistics supply chain is very important to keep up with the fast advancing tank columns. so tanks alone are not enough.

What is the current status and how good is the oil logistics supply chain of Pakistan Military.

Back
Top Bottom