What's new

Which one is your favorite Bengali cuisine?

I haven't tasted Kakra (crab) yet. Will taste one day for sure. This is popular in west Bengal but in Bangladesh this is not eaten by majority of people since they are not sure if its halal or makruh to eat Kakra. If chingri is halal then I think Kakra is also halal.

Crab is delicious, you should definitely try it. I love crab cakes. I have also eaten it BBQ style in Assam.

Have anyone tasted Chital macher kofta? My nani makes so yummy kofta but my mom can't make Chital macher kofta. Actually my nani knows too many recipes but my mom doesn't know much recipes except the regular ones

p1030876-640x480.jpg

pic19_1527953101.main.JPG

Masoor Soup (Moshurir dal)

This is the most common dal in BD. Almost every Bengali household have this soup in everyday meal.

Mushurir+Dal.JPG

petuk damu petuk damu jacho tumi kothai ?

jachi ami pasher bari vojer gondho peye

:D

Masoor Soup (Moshurir dal)

This is the most common dal in BD. Almost every Bengali household have this soup in everyday meal.

Mushurir+Dal.JPG

Musur Daal is the most common daal in West Bengal as well. It's most commonly made in every Bengali House hold. Even I am an expert in making Masur daal. :D
Then comes Mug. Later Arahar (Tuar), Biuli (Urad) will come.

But in rest of India it's opposite, Tuar, Urad are more common. Moong daal is prepared seldom and people hardly know about Masoor.

I LOVE fish. So its a matter of shame for me to admit I've not tried Bengali style Hilsa (Ilish).

Does anyone now a good place to get it in Dubai, Singapore, Mumbai or Bangkok?

Hilsa is Tasty specially (I think only) in Mustard/mustard oil only. But you have to eat it slowly otherwise the thin bones(we call it kanta) may give you trouble if stuck inside mouth. You can never remove all the bones from hilsa. The bigger the fish the bigger the bones and it is easier to eat.

Hilsa is Tasty specially (I think only) in Mustard/mustard oil only. But you have to eat it slowly otherwise the thin bones(we call it kanta) may give you trouble if stuck inside mouth. You can never remove all the bones from hilsa. The bigger the fish the bigger the bones and it is easier to eat.

Bengali food means no other oil but Mustard oil!! Kaanta is a big problem, but the taste of hilsa overcomes the kanta problem.

Hilsa is Tasty specially (I think only) in Mustard/mustard oil only. But you have to eat it slowly otherwise the thin bones(we call it kanta) may give you trouble if stuck inside mouth. You can never remove all the bones from hilsa. The bigger the fish the bigger the bones and it is easierto eat.

you need to try Hilsa Pulao recipe :yahoo:

Chitol is my favorite, especially the peti.

also@BDforever. Chitol is also known as fresh water hilsa because of its taste and similar thin bones like Hilsa. It is also rare and cannot be made through artificial breeding. It is removed from any pond where fresh water fish is cultivated as it eats all the juvenile fish. If caught and if the size is big i.e. >3 kg then the price can go up to 500/- to 1000/- per kg depending on the size. Both Hilsa and Chitol should be eaten slowly because of bones and unless you are an expert fish eater. I have seen people who can take entire piece in their mouth and remove the bones just like that!!

some of my favorite dishes with Climbing perch fish ..

Climbing perch with tomato

kacha-tomator-koi-190213-ifq.jpg

Climbing perch with Spinach and mustard (Paturi)
koi-macher-paturi-140611-p-alo.jpg

Spotted snakehead Mashed

P1100332.jpg

Clown Knifefish kopta

chitol-macher-kopta-kabab-240412-juga.jpg

@hinduguy :smitten:
I have tried the fish wrapped in the leaves.. it is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
also@BDforever. Chitol is also known as fresh water hilsa because of its taste and similar thin bones like Hilsa. It is also rare and cannot be made through artificial breeding. It is removed from any pond where fresh water fish is cultivated as it eats all the juvenile fish. If caught and if the size is big i.e. >3 kg then the price can go up to 500/- to 1000/- per kg depending on the size. Both Hilsa and Chitol should be eaten slowly because of bones and unless you are an expert fish eater. I have seen people who can take entire piece in their mouth and remove the bones just like that!!

:raise: me me :raise: some times i eat the big bone :ashamed:

Bengali food means no other oil but Mustard oil!! Kaanta is a big problem, but the taste of hilsa overcomes the kanta problem.

You know I have some heart problem and Doctor has advised me for pure Mustard oil. It is also good for heart.

Back
Top Bottom