What's new

When China Rules the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time for you to learn some to..if 221 BC China is the real China..then surely Tibet is not a part of you..watch history through ages.

300px-Territories_of_Dynasties_in_China.gif

What so because America didn't encompass its current location today its not part of America?

I'll like to see those Native Americans f**king try to take it back.

Cantonese in China protest over language loss fears

Mon, 26 Jul 12:56 PM IST
BEIJING (Reuters) - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou over the weekend to demand the government halt efforts to push aside the local Cantonese language, state media said on Monday.

The protest on Sunday was prompted by plans to switch most programming on Guangzhou television stations to the country's official language, Mandarin, feeding fears that the government wants to phase out Cantonese in official settings, reports said.

Some newspapers in Hong Kong, where Cantonese remains the main language of government, education and the man in the street, said demonstrators numbered more than 10,000, with participants singing and giving impassioned speeches in Cantonese.

The Global Times, a popular Chinese tabloid run by Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily, said the protest was peaceful and dispersed after a few hours.

"I stand for multiculturalism, and I strongly oppose the government's plan to promote Putonghua with administrative means," the report quoted one demonstrator as saying, referring to another name for the Mandarin Chinese language.

Beijing has promoted Mandarin for decades to unite a nation with thousands of dialects and numerous minority languages.

Cantonese is still widely spoken in the booming southern province of Guangdong, thanks in part to the spillover influence of Hong Kong's wildly successful and racy vernacular pop culture, but some people fear for its future.

An influx of outsiders seeking work in China's coastal export hubs has added to the onslaught on local languages.

Chinese newspapers and Internet sites have reported on companies where employees are fined for speaking Cantonese at work, prompting anger.

"I support Cantonese. If we don't speak it, we are shaming our ancestors," wrote "Bright Star" on the popular Chinese internet portal Sina.com.

The Guangzhou authorities strongly deny wanting to marginalise Cantonese.

"The city government has never had such a plan to abandon or weaken Cantonese," the Global Times quoted Su Zhijia, one of Guangzhou's Communist Party deputy bosses, as saying.

The controversy has prompted the People's Daily itself to wade in. In an editorial last week, the newspaper stressed the importance of Mandarin, but also of respecting dialects.

"We have to find a balance," it said.

Reuters

Another proof of how the Chinese posters which to purvey half truths.
What does that have to do with anything? We had one language since the Qin Dynasty.
Original Post By tanlixiang28776

Gambit is quite insane, and he believes the US air force can wipe out the entire Chinese defence system in the blink of an eye. So can we take him seriously if he stated something like that?

Guess what, he also stated that he is more qualified to become the commander in chief than Barack Obama, what a joker.

Strange, I never saw that Gambit is claiming as such. Hell, even I say that my younger brother is more capable of running this nation than our soft cheese PM and pirates of 10 Janapath.

But instead of countering him on technical terms, resorting to insulting his nationality which of course as a civilian, which counts me too, you don't know anything about.

Cantonese in China protest over language loss fears

Mon, 26 Jul 12:56 PM IST
BEIJING (Reuters) - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou over the weekend to demand the government halt efforts to push aside the local Cantonese language, state media said on Monday.

The protest on Sunday was prompted by plans to switch most programming on Guangzhou television stations to the country's official language, Mandarin, feeding fears that the government wants to phase out Cantonese in official settings, reports said.

Some newspapers in Hong Kong, where Cantonese remains the main language of government, education and the man in the street, said demonstrators numbered more than 10,000, with participants singing and giving impassioned speeches in Cantonese.

The Global Times, a popular Chinese tabloid run by Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily, said the protest was peaceful and dispersed after a few hours.

"I stand for multiculturalism, and I strongly oppose the government's plan to promote Putonghua with administrative means," the report quoted one demonstrator as saying, referring to another name for the Mandarin Chinese language.

Beijing has promoted Mandarin for decades to unite a nation with thousands of dialects and numerous minority languages.

Cantonese is still widely spoken in the booming southern province of Guangdong, thanks in part to the spillover influence of Hong Kong's wildly successful and racy vernacular pop culture, but some people fear for its future.

An influx of outsiders seeking work in China's coastal export hubs has added to the onslaught on local languages.

Chinese newspapers and Internet sites have reported on companies where employees are fined for speaking Cantonese at work, prompting anger.

"I support Cantonese. If we don't speak it, we are shaming our ancestors," wrote "Bright Star" on the popular Chinese internet portal Sina.com.

The Guangzhou authorities strongly deny wanting to marginalise Cantonese.

"The city government has never had such a plan to abandon or weaken Cantonese," the Global Times quoted Su Zhijia, one of Guangzhou's Communist Party deputy bosses, as saying.

The controversy has prompted the People's Daily itself to wade in. In an editorial last week, the newspaper stressed the importance of Mandarin, but also of respecting dialects.

"We have to find a balance," it said.

Reuters

Another proof of how the Chinese posters which to purvey half truths.

There are differences between languages and dialects.

Hmm...so U.S. didn't exist until Hawaii and Alaska joined?

I am not saying it din't ..I am just rubbishing his claim that "China has China since 221 BC"..coz clearly a lot has changed.

I expected better from you pal. Qin standardized the Mandarin you see today. We can still read things from 2200 years ago fine.

Read post 148.

Reading things and understanding the same are two different things.

It does not make one language.

Marathi and Hindi have the same script and can be read by either people, but then the meaning would not be known.

That is why simplified Chinese was initiated in 1905 (IIRC) but given formal shape by Mao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom