What's new

Whats in a name...

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Its true that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but how would you react to Anglicization of names? By anglicization i mean change of non-English-language names to spellings nearer English sounds. Each name has a meaning which often corresponds to its history, for the same reason I've refrained from using anglicized versions of "Indian" names.
Before we proceed, the usage of word hindu in the conversation has nothing to do with the religion but the hindu way of living or the civilization as such.
Often on this forum i've seen people using Taxilla, instead of the original Taksasila or Takshashila. Here's an example:

@Kaptaan : Given what happened this song has got even more of ethereal quality about it. I think that is 3,000 year old ruins of Taxila in the background. [1]

Levina: Dont mind me correcting you but the word is TAKSHASHILA or TAKSASILA.
Shila means a mount or a huge rock in sanskrit. To hindus, the word Taksh means serpents.(Taksh means severed head to buddhists). It also happens to be Shri Rama's nephew's name after whom the city was named...or so hindus believe.
Takshashila as you might already know was the hub of Buddhism.

Sorry for the off topic. But misspelt Indian names evoke this kinda reaction from me. [2]

Kaptaan:
2000 years ago London was called 'Londonium'. We call it London today. Russians call their capital Москва. We call it Moscow. Cue: Names change.

And what sort of manifestation of silliness are you? If you insist calling Taksasila and want to be historically accurate why do you abandon that authenticity when in the same sentance your corrupt it by using 'Indian' when you know 2,000 years ago the word 'India' did NOT even exist?

At least if you use Taxsasila then use a authentic term to designate the region.

Levina: Europeans could not pronounce most of the south asian names and ergo preferred to change it to words which would end up meaning nothing. But many countries have switched back to their original names like Burma changed its name to Myanmar. Beijing was called Peking by the Britishers, Chinese made it a point to switch back to the city's original name once European countries lost their influence over China. Similarly Ceylon was European colonial name bestowed upon Sri lanka by the Portuguese, which the Sri lankans have got rid off. i can give you more examples like Constantinople to Istanbul.
Afterall who would want to live with a colonial stamp on them forever?

Kaptaan said:
And what sort of manifestation of silliness are you?
Exactly my thoughts when i read some of your posts.

Now that you've "requested" me to use names according to the era, let me correct what i had posted earlier. It was Taksasila,Gandhara region, under the Mauryan empire. This is how the city was called for most part of its history. [3]

Kaptaan:
That at least is accurate - unlike your other fiddling and darn outright deciet. where you insist on one leg to be authentic by calling it Taxsasila and then on other leg go full on fraud by using India when both terms did not EXIST contemperonously.

As regards Mauryan Empire that was only for some time - Gandhara was separate for most period of it's existance. Mauryan Empire lasted exactly 137 years and it's rule on Gandhara was even less. But still Mauryan is more accurate then calling it 'Indian' and just to calm your horses down South India was not even part of it.

And we are seriously off topic. Open another thread if you want to fence with me - if you are a glutton for punishment because you shall lose.

Ps. I am happy to call it Taxsasila as long as you don't use that as some grubby attempt to gain historical heritage out of it by using the term 'India' from the other side of the continent.

contd...

That at least is accurate - unlike your other fiddling and darn outright deciet. where you insist on one leg to be authentic by calling it Taxsasila and then on other leg go full on fraud by using India when both terms did not EXIST contemperonously.
Sir,
I surprised at the selective memory that you display. India/Hindustan/Hindu are terms which have been used historically to describe a geographical region- the Indian subcontinent, or a civilization. Different terms were used to describe the region in different eras, but the meaning remained same.
No, I'm not trying to claim anything there. We do not have a habit of eyeing other's property you see. But let me be very clear about the people who made Takshashila the place it is known for. It was under the reign of Mauryans,that Takshashila gained importance as university.

upload_2016-12-15_15-48-59.png

[R1]

This is evident from the excavations >>>

800px-Taxila_Pakistan_juillet_2004.jpg

Taxila%20once%20center%20of%20Ghandara%20civilisation.jpg

Kaptaan said:
As regards Mauryan Empire that was only for some time - Gandhara was separate for most period of it's existance. Mauryan Empire lasted exactly 137 years and it's rule on Gandhara was even less. But still Mauryan is more accurate then calling it 'Indian' and just to calm your horses down South India was not even part of it.
This part of your quote holds no significance.

Kaptaan said:
But still Mauryan is more accurate then calling it 'Indian' and just to calm your horses down South India was not even part of it.
Just so you know, south India for most of its history has remained independent.

lr003908.gif
Mughal%20Empire%20BR.jpg

@WAJsal I entrust you with this thread.
Rgds

Followed the discussion on 'whatever' thread, this should be interesting.
@Joe Shearer
Levina: Europeans could not pronounce most of the south asian names and ergo preferred to change it to words which would end up meaning nothing. But many countries have switched back to their original names like Burma changed its name to Myanmar. Beijing was called Peking by the Britishers, Chinese made it a point to switch back to the city's original name once European countries lost their influence over China. Similarly Ceylon was European colonial name bestowed upon Sri lanka by the Portuguese, which the Sri lankans have got rid off. i can give you more examples like Constantinople to Istanbul.
Exactly. For example, just the other day i was teaching my little brother history, 'Chintz' is actually a Hindi word Chint(meaning 'spotted' or 'variegated'.

Followed the discussion on 'whatever' thread, this should be interesting.
@Joe Shearer

Exactly. For example, just the other day i was teaching my little brother history, 'Chintz' is actually a Hindi word Chint(meaning 'spotted' or 'variegated'.
Language is a two way highway. English has many loan words from Urdu/Hindi and vice-verse. If I were to quote a few words:
Dangree (cotton in urdu)- Dungree, if you wear one then you know what it is. :)
Charpai (Urdu word for bed) - Chapoy (English word)
Dekho (means "to look" in Urdu and Hindi) - Dekko (quick look or glance in English).

I'm not against such loan words which are bound to happen but I'm against anglicisation of names. We need to decolonise our mind and culture. Such a decolonisation is imperative if we want our generation and the next to value their culture. I don't want them to see their past as one wasteland of non-achievement, this would make them want to distance themselves from that wasteland. We don't want our next generation to learn a history from a foreigner's perscpetive. Do we?

My country
I will give you dose of Indian medicine. "My name is Constantine Tiricuripullia. I am Indian Christian. Let me correct you. Your country is only came in 1921. There was no Turkey before and by the way it is spelled T-u-r-k-e-y. The real name is Anatolia although when we ruled it was called Asia Minor which makes it Asian. Your big city is called Constantinople. We built it. The mosque was built on top of our ruins. There is no such thing as Turkey - it is part of greater Asian civilization".

Al this must be said with animated head rolling. Take care it does not fall off.

I will give you dose of Indian medicine. "My name is Constantine Tiricuripullia. I am Indian Christian. Let me correct you. Your country is only came in 1921. There was no Turkey before and by the way it is spelled T-u-r-k-e-y. The real name is Anatolia although when we ruled it was called Asia Minor which makes it Asian. Your big city is called Constantinople. We built it. The mosque was built on top of our ruins. There is no such thing as Turkey - it is part of greater Asian civilization".

Al this must be said with animated head rolling. Take care it does not fall off.
That is exactly right :rofl:

A public and private apology with a ever so discrete peck has been tendered to @Levina While I do not detract by a millimetre from thrust of what I said the vehicle I used to convey my thoughts was loaded with poison chalice. That was plain wrong.

Of course Levina got this apology by doing this to me ......

03tr10.jpg

A public and private apology with a ever so discrete peck has been tendered to @Levina While I do not detract by a millimetre from thrust of what I said the vehicle I used to convey my thoughts was loaded with poison chalice. That was plain wrong.

Of course Levina got this apology by doing this to me ......

03tr10.jpg

I'm glad you worked it out with what's his face like a gentleman and a scholar.

That said, I was hoping you could elaborate a little more on what you said earlier. If India is merely a "by product" of British Imperialism, what exactly is Pakistan? Here are my thoughts, in case you were curious...

I, and the rest of the world for that matter, believe Pakistan came into being primarily because Muslim South Asians didn't think they'd get their fair share in "Hindu" India. Everything Pakistan once was (i.e. way back in the day) and the legacy of its subsequent conquerors, is embodied in modern day India and not Pakistan. There is no distinct "Pakistani" civilization, culture or ideology that I'm aware of. You are just muslim South Asians who occasionally attempt to pass as a distinct "mixed" race, but look exactly like us, at least in the north. Yes, that includes a majority of Pathans too.

Did I miss anything?

Back
Top Bottom