What's new

Whats in a name...

Early Muslims Arabs called the region which is now Turkey or Turkiye “Rum” because it had been part of the Byzantine Rome before being conquered by the Arabs; hence Jalaluddin Mohammed Balkhi is better known as Maulana Rumi or just Rumi, because he stayed most of his life in the Saljuki Sultanate of Rum.

Greeks called the region ‘Anatolia’ because being east of Greece; it was land on the rising sun. The Christian historian Orosius (375 – 418 AD) referred to it as Asia Minor or Mirka Asia (little Asia).

Under the Salukis, the area was also called Rum or Anatolia, during early Ottoman period it was referred to as Osmali Beyligi basically meaning Beylik of Osman; later Ottoman Empire was called “Devlit-e – Aliye Osmanli (Sublime Ottoman State)

It is the Latin ‘Turchia’ ( Land of the Turks) which has given rise to Turkey in English & Turkiye in the modern Turkish. Turks themselves don’t like ‘Turkey’ because of adverse connotations such as in Turkey Shoot.

So what is in the name? Nothing, but everything.
A little correction there,it was called Rum because of Rome,first there was Rome,East Rome(Byzantine) came later.

Ridiculously funny to see how the Indians want to relate and lay claim to our civilization. These people have some serious inferiority issues. Arguing about the names of our historical and prestigious cities LMAO

Last edited:
A public and private apology with a ever so discrete peck has been tendered to @Levina While I do not detract by a millimetre from thrust of what I said the vehicle I used to convey my thoughts was loaded with poison chalice. That was plain wrong.

Of course Levina got this apology by doing this to me ......

03tr10.jpg
Middle finger to an apology which was not meant to be an apology.

Oh my dear this comes from a pakistani (... err are you?) living in a different continent and country. But the same cant be applied to migrants who are living very next door.

Interesting,a guy who lives in britain claims India is not India. Wonder wat the british were doing for 200 years in ....err called India through East India company.

Well lets say your argument is ok but wat existed before? If so why does pakistan keep fighting over kashmir?
Pakistans boundary must have been been settled long time back. They should neither be fighting India or afghanistan over durand line ?

Your argument reminds me of camel ..err yes camel in tent philosophy.

Columbus was trying to find a route to supply arms to americanas in afghana .

Born and brought up in U.K., away from his motherland, sans any knowledge of his mother tongue, how can we expect him to even understand anything about a civilisation which has survived for more than 7000years?

Last edited:
Ridiculously funny to see how the Indians want to relate and lay claim to our civilization. These people have some serious inferiority issues. Arguing about the names of our historical and prestigious cities LMAO

Hahaha
Nobody is claiming anything. Stop being so insecure.
Anyone with a little self respect would not want to live a colonial stamp....or so I thought.

Back
Top Bottom