What's new

Whatever

@Indos I don't know much about Indonesia so to get a feel for the country and how it will fare in 21st century would you be kind to answer these few questions?

• what official script do you use? Arabic, Roman, Chinese etc?
  • what is the normal attire for men?
  • what is your traditional dress for men - that was dominant prior to 1950s.
  • what is your traditional dress for women - that was dominant prior to 1950s.
  • is your country a Islamic republic?

Many thanks in advance.

1. Roman
2. I think similar like Westerners

Like this shown by our potential President candidates 2024

3. It depends, Malay Ethnic like Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi have different dress but in general they cover whole body but hijab is very rare while Javanese middle and upper class also the same but different style, Javanese lower economic class from what I see on photo has more open dress that shows their hand and shoulder

Javanese dress, old photo

1623341271365.png

4. For men I think prior to 1950 they have followed Western dress for work or formal thing

Agus Salim old (Politician / Independence Movement)/West Sumatran (Minang ethnic / it is part of Malay)
1623341422709.png

Agus Salim young

1623341516437.png

While most folk in West Sumatra wear this

1623341672676.png

5. My country is not an Islamic country (actually prophet Muhammad never said Madinah as Islamic State either), but Islam does influence the nation

1. Roman
2. I think similar like Westerners

Like this shown by our potential President candidates 2024

3. It depends, Malay Ethnic like Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi have different dress but in general they cover whole body but hijab is very rare while Javanese middle and upper class also the same but different style, Javanese lower economic class from what I see on photo has more open dress that shows their hand and shoulder

Javanese dress, old photo

View attachment 752165

4. For men I think prior to 1950 they have followed Western dress for work or formal thing

Agus Salim old (Politician / Independence Movement)/West Sumatran (Minang ethnic / it is part of Malay)
View attachment 752166

Agus Salim young

View attachment 752167

While most folk in West Sumatra wear this

View attachment 752169

5. My country is not an Islamic country (actually prophet Muhammad never said Madinah as Islamic State either), but Islam does influence the nation
Then I think you will make rapid progress over next few decades. The more westernism a society absorbs the more progress from the base. Note I used base as referance to gauge progress.

Then I think you will make rapid progress over next few decades. The more westernism a society absorbs the more progress from the base. Note I used base as referance to gauge progress.

Traditional dress is still used for some thing special though like wedding and others.

This Indonesian graduate in Oxford England for Master in Economics, she pick traditional Javanese dress to celebrate the day

Maudi Ayunda

1623345520052.png

In my opinion we are easy to absorb things that is more simple and practical, but culture will still be preserves through this ceremonial things.

Talking about progress, I think for democratic countries it is important to make our kids get good education so they can pick better leaders, and the knowleageable people should always use their brain to educate people and penetrate the decision maker circle through writing and others so better policy can be made.

Half of a success of a nation IMO relies on better policy made by the leadership and it is important to have democratic society as well. Just take a look what happen between China under Mao Zedong (Authoritarian) and after it which is more democratized in leadership level.

The reason I asked was simple. I have concluded that as general rule [exceptions notwithstanding] societies that are open to accepting foreign ideas and adapting them within their own culture are simpy better equipped to make progress in the modern world.

Not wiling or being averse to foreign ideas or traits is retrogressive and will arrest the evolution of any society and cripple it from fully being able to leverage the global order. You can see how China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia and your country have very easily adapted without becoming constipated about trivial isues of "our traditions are under threat".

Turkey is great example of a Muslim country that has literally become for all practical purposes Western. Istanbul is no differant to London on a hot day.

I give you one example. On outskirts of Pakistan's capital there is place called Taxila where ancient Greek relics from the Gandhara civilization from 2000 years ago are found. There are many coins from that period in Taxila Museum which clearly show Greek alphabet which of course is mother of Roman script.

This means this script was in use in what is now Pakistan long time before countries like Germany, UK or Western Europe adopted it. But today if anybody dared to change Urdu to using Roman script like Turks did in 1923 there would be a revolution. It's this refusal to evolve with the modern world that has Pakistan in chains from moving forward.

But today if anybody dared to change Urdu to using Roman script like Turks did in 1923 there would be a revolution.

I agree with you. There would be more Urdu speakers and there would be standardization of Urdu from the SMS lingo used by many people. Example, "breek surat" to the proper "bareek surat". There should be new accent markers like for saying the thick "d" ( as in "Chod" - to leave ) instead of "Chor".

As pakistan rejects giving US air bases, what will the consequences be for us? Will Turkey as a nato member keep control of the kabul airbase or will we see a clash between two Muslim-majority countries?

Army members who know about active endurance know what this video is all about. How hard it is to keep soldiers in good condition within limited budgets. Is there any doubt that Allah has blessed the Pakistani military?

Back
Top Bottom