What's new

Whatever

Both are requirements for overseas students:

Visas and immigration for PhD students in Norway
The majority of students who wish to study in Norway will need a student residence permit from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. This supersedes a visa (which is only valid for up to 90 days) and will be necessary for international students seeking to study a PhD in Norway. Exceptions apply to students from Nordic countries (Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) for whom a residence permit is not required.

Applications for a residence permit should be made to a Norwegian Foreign Mission in your home country. You can visit Norway's official web portal to locate your nearest mission or embassy. Alternatively, you may arrive in Norway and subsequently begin your application at a local police station. Be warned, however, that you will only be allowed to remain in Norway for three months without a permit and should therefore have all the necessary materials prepared to ensure a smooth successful application process.

The documents required for a permit application will include:

• A completed application form with attached passport photograph.
  • Proof of acceptance at a recognised learning institution.
  • A statement proving that you possess sufficient maintenance funds.
  • Proof of valid health insurance, either through a private policy or reciprocal scheme.
Students from outside the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland will also need to provide:

• Documentation of accommodation.
  • An outline of your proposed studies.
There is no processing fee for nationals of EU, EEA or EFTA countries, although students from elsewhere will usually have to pay a NOK 1,100 ($180) charge.

You can find more information about immigration requirements for international students in Norway at the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.
As far as I understand, all students are eligible for residenc permit. It is not like UK @Armstrong

Just get your documents to the local commune office and they will issue one for you I believe

The only difficult requirement is proof of funds/cost for living expenses but I guess he can meet that requirement given his reputable background

As far as I understand, all students are eligible for residence permit. It is not like UK @Armstrong

Yes, but he'd still be required to provide valid proof of health insurance and other key metrics. It's not that he isn't qualified, it's that he needs to show that he is by meeting the required criteria. he can get a residency permit, but it's not automatic for students. They still have to go through the same process as everyone else.

For school admissions a residency permit isn't required, but unless you're going to be done in 90 days you'd better get one. Funding plans are typically required by schools, NBS included - it's on their website.

Anyway that's for him to figure out. I'm not his mom:P.

Hey @Fenrir how are you doing?

Fantastic. I go back to work in two weeks:yahoo:. I got my maternity leave cut my two months because I just can't handle being at home anymore:wacko: and hiring a nanny is so much easy for me.

Of course my desk probably looks like this now, but I'm eager to get back to doing what I do.

mountain-of-paper2.jpeg

Apart from that everything's peachy. I've been enjoying the snow more then I probably should:wub:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but he'd still be required to provide valid proof of health insurance and other key metrics. It's not that he isn't qualified, it's that he needs to show that he is by meeting the required criteria. We can get a residency permit, but it's not automatic for students. They still have to go through the same process as everyone else.

For school admissions a residency permit isn't required, but unless you're going to be done in 90 days you'd better get one. Funding plans are typically required by schools, NSB included.

Anyway that's for him to figure out. I'm not his mom:P.

Fantastic. I go back to work in two weeks:yahoo:. I got my maternity leave cut my two months because I just can't handle being at home anymore:wacko: and hiring a nanny is so much easy for me.

Of course my desk probably looks like this now, but I'm eager to get back to doing what I do.

mountain-of-paper2.jpeg

Apart from that everything's peachy. I've been enjoying the snow more then I probably should:wub:.
Congatulations for Junior Fenrir...

Really glad to her that

About Armstong, the bottom line is... he will need to sort out documentation which will require some investment. If there is a strong will, it shouldn't be a problem

Thorey paisey mujhey bhe daidey @Armstrong :p:.
I spoke to him couple of times on the phone until he literally stopped answering my phone :rofl: just kidding but yeah that was in regard to my late father.

His father is a qualified gentleman and armstrog is free to reveal or hide his identity

Congatulations for Junior Fenrir...

I am seriously contemplating trading her in for an older model:wacko:. She's almost 7 months old and is driving me crazy with how mobile she is.

Or buying more wine. That helps too.

@Armstrong ignore @Zaki and I and just talk to someone at the Foreign Ministry. If you're serious about studying in Norway you'll have to go through them anyway. They know the qualifications better then either of us do - I wasn't a foreign student since I was born in Norway, am a citizen and have never lived anywhere else, so I'm hardly an authority on the reqs for international student - they'd be the best option if you're serious.

Just make the best decision. I love Norway, and Sweden's nice too (less nice then Norway of course), but there are other great schools in other countries that'll afford you great opportunities to build relationships, further your education and possibly even start a career (a scenario Norway's never been friendly to foreigners in).

Make the best decision for you, but let me know what you've picked when you decide.

Hey @Fenrir how are my niece and Freyja? :)

I'm glad to hear that you're looking forward to returning to work; I bet that it'll be slightly overwhelming getting back into the routine of things, at least for the first couple of days. But good luck. :happy::thank_you2:

@Armstrong ignore @Zaki and I and just talk to someone at the Foreign Ministry. If you're serious about studying in Norway you'll have to go through them anyway. They know the qualifications better then either of us do - I wasn't a foreign student since I was born in Norway, am a citizen and have never lived anywhere else - they'd be the best option if you're serious.

Just make the best decision. I love Norway, and Sweden's nice too (less nice then Norway of course), but there are other great schools in other countries that'll afford you great opportunities to build relationships, further your education and possibly even start a career (a scenario Norway's never been friendly to foreigners in).

Make the best decision for you, but let me know what you've picked when you decide.

Cheers, I'll seriously look into it. I'm just thinking out loud. I really liked being a student again, carrying out research and writing consultancy reports so I'm thinking very strongly about going for a PhD. In addition, I'm also thinking of something slightly more long term and if even after a doctorate from a top Norwegian university, the Norwegian market isn't receptive to absorbing me into the work force then I might have to rethink this option.

So lets see.

I am seriously contemplating trading her in for an older model:wacko:. She's almost 7 months old and is driving me crazy with how mobile she is.

Or buying more wine. That helps too.

@Armstrong ignore @Zaki and I and just talk to someone at the Foreign Ministry. If you're serious about studying in Norway you'll have to go through them anyway. They know the qualifications better then either of us do - I wasn't a foreign student since I was born in Norway, am a citizen and have never lived anywhere else, so I'm hardly an authority on the reqs for international student - they'd be the best option if you're serious.

@Armstrong

If you really want to relocate to Scandinavia, I could help to set your feet in the holy land of Denmark. The worst country in scandinavia (or just my bad experience).

From there, heading towards Sweden is easy since Copenhagen and Malmo are twins and from there take left on the next road to Norway.

Hows that?
One of my very old friend who studied in UK went back to Pakistan. After an year or so he decided to relocate to Denmark as it was comparatively easy to get visa for Denmark. I went to see him and found 20 or so students living with him in copenhagen. Everybody had come from Pakistan. He later got married and started living in a separate flat but the point is, I learned so much about how it works and realised it is still easy for Pakistanis to get study visa for Denmark and possibly Sweden. Norway had the same rules but they made it little bit tough in 2010-12... for example no more free education for foreign students

Yo can speak with war&peace and if it sounds difficult I will try to get more info for you and you can possibly apply for Denmark. I coud also help you get temporary accommodation if you are able to sort out the process

Hey @Fenrir how are my niece and Freyja? :)

Kat's being a butt as per usual and little kat doesn't sit still for more then 5 minutes. She still can't walk, but she crawls all over the place, opens every cabinet, wrestles with our dog and babbles. No talking yet, still to young for that, but she's very vocal.

I'm glad to hear that you're looking forward to returning to work; I bet that it'll be slightly overwhelming getting back into the routine of things, at least for the first couple of days. But good luck. :happy::thank_you2:

It's going to be over-whelming regardless. Norway's recently signed a number of contracts with foreign partners, and that means my workload would go up markedly. New submarines based on the Type 212 from Germany, upgrading the older Ula, integrating stuff onto the P-8A, there's a revamping and modernization of the Norwegian Armed Forces going on and I'd likely have been recalled anyway given how much of this will involve me in one way or another. I can ID at least 7 upcoming projects my input will be needed in and these are major programs.

I'll be busy but I'd have it no other way.

Also this is the residency checklist for UK national straight from UDI's (Norwegian Directorate of Immigration) website:

Capture.JPG

As I've been saying it requires certain things like a financial assessment and healthcare, as do universities.

Note you'll need to go through a similar one at a university before applying for residency.

Keep in mind this scheme is not likely to remain be valid once the Brexit negotiations (or vote) finish... assuming they do.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/the-registration-scheme-for-eueea-nationals/?c=gbr#link-881

Kat's being a butt as per usual and little kat doesn't sit still for more then 5 minutes. She still can't walk, but she crawls all over the place, opens every cabinet, wrestles with our dog and babbles. No talking yet, still to young for that, but she's very vocal.

Awww she sounds adorable. :smitten:

I so wish that one day I have 2-3 baby girls of my own; I'd spoil the hell out of my little princesses. :oops:

It's going to be over-whelming regardless. Norway's recently signed a number of contracts with foreign partners, and that means my workload would go up markedly. New submarines based on the Type 212 from Germany, upgrading the older Ula, integrating stuff onto the P-8A, there's a revamping and modernization of the Norwegian Armed Forces going on and I'd likely have been recalled anyway given how much of this will involve me in one way or another. I can ID at least 7 upcoming projects my input will be needed in and these are major programs.

I'll be busy but I'd have it no other way.

Busy...busy then. Well good luck. :)

Also this is the residency checklist for UK nationals straight from UDI's website:

View attachment 375354

As I've been saying it requires certain things like a financial assessment and healthcare, as do universities.

Note you'll need to go through a similar one at a university before applying for residency.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/the-registration-scheme-for-eueea-nationals/?c=gbr#link-881

I'm not a UK national; I was only there for studies. But cheers nonetheless. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom