What's new

Whatever

No not at all. I know German from taking classes, I'm fluent in several languages (Norwegian, and due to its similarity - different words but similar structure, Swedish. German because I work with German defense firms a lot. Icelandic as well).

German is very, very different from Norwegian.

Ah very interesting. I've been to Holland before for a conference , and I couldn't help but listen to the tonation and lexicon of how Dutch folks spoke , almost similar to German. I admit ive always wanted to learn German because its always been a language i've been fond of but just never had the chance to learn it professionally. I've heard that there are various dialects of German, and Dutch being of Low German , is almost similar to German.

As for Nordic languages, i always thought Danish, Norwegian and Swedish were Germanic ?

@SvenSvensonov @Transhumanist ?

:lol:I'd offer, but I'm not interested:p:. Sorry. My last relationship ended badly, so I'm taking a break.

Ah, you honor me by even considering me...:lol:

I'm sorry to hear of your relationship , i hope you will be okay, and am sure the right gentleman will arrive. Let the heart heal first, then everything will come naturally.

As for Nordic languages, i always thought Danish, Norwegian and Swedish were Germanic ?

Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are mutually intelligible. I'm fluent is Swedish and Norwegian, and can read Danish, but I'm not too familiar with the words so I couldn't write anything with proficiency.

German is not similar at all. It's a Germanic language, but it's structure is too different. The difference is the same as a native English speaker trying to understand a native German speaker without knowing each others languages. They have similarities, but their sentence and word structure and grammar rules on general specifics are too different.

*And since I mentioned gender rules, in Norwegian it's not uncommon to mention an object as both male and female in the same sentence:

you could say: en klokke - klokka (a clock - the clock). Here, the indefinite singular form is in mascular ("en klokke" instead of "ei klokke") while the definite singular form is in feminine.

In German items and objects have a definitive gender and should be described as such.

Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are mutually intelligible. I'm fluent is Swedish and Norwegian, and can read Danish, but I'm not too familiar with the words so I couldn't write anything with proficiency.

German is not similar at all. It's a Germanic language, but it's structure is too different. The difference is the same as a native English speaker trying to understand a native German speaker without knowing each others languages. They have similarities, but their sentence and word structure and grammar rules on general specifics are too different.

*And since I mentioned gender rules, in Norwegian it's not uncommon to mention an object as both male and female in the same sentence:

you could say: en klokke - klokka (a clock - the clock). Here, the indefinite singular form is in mascular ("en klokke" instead of "ei klokke") while the definite singular form is in feminine.

In German items and objects have a definitive gender and should be described as such.

Thank You for that splendid explanation, @Transhumanist ! :)

Are you married?

:cry:

I don't want to break your heart, but yes I am.

:kiss3:

Just spent the whole day cleaning the house and doing yard work... which I never do:sarcastic:.

Still interested in an explanation? I'm not too much of a linguist, but I think I can manage and explanation... I think:D.

Long story short, no, German isn't too alike Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.

:o:Íslenska er erfitt!

Ertu viss? Ég hef aldrei fundið það of erfitt:p:. Ég er multi-tungumála líka:partay:.

Last edited:
:o:Are you sure you're not Norwegian too.

:angry:

no-swimming1.jpg

Last edited:
Hvar í fjandanum fékkstu læra íslensku ? Ertu altalandi?

Ég lærði vegna Norways menningar nálægð við Ísland , ég hef nokkra vini þar líka .

Af hverju þú læra?

Ég lærði íslensku en í United States Navy, Lærði frá málvísindum sérfræðings. Eins og fyrir hvers vegna Ísland er ekki hluti af NATO, en það vinnur með þeim reglulega og stundum sameiginlega fjarskipti starfsemi þar farfuglaheimili til að auka innbyrðis starfshæfni. Ég lærði að mestu vegna nauðsyn, Navy hefur stutt - lækkun íslensku að móðurmáli fólks og svona ég var með flipum vegna veru minni í samskipti - sérhæfingu hlutverk.

Ég hef komið til Íslands nokkrum sinnum , það er gott ! Vinir? ICG?

Ég lærði íslensku en í United States Navy, Lærði frá málvísindum sérfræðings. Eins og fyrir hvers vegna Ísland er ekki hluti af NATO, en það vinnur með þeim reglulega og stundum sameiginlega fjarskipti starfsemi þar farfuglaheimili til að auka innbyrðis starfshæfni. Ég lærði að mestu vegna nauðsyn, Navy hefur stutt - lækkun íslensku að móðurmáli fólks og svona ég var með flipum vegna veru minni í samskipti - sérhæfingu hlutverk.

Nei, engin hernaðarleg tengsl , bara frjálslegur sambönd. Icelandic er ótrúlegt með hvernig!!!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Takk !!! Það er gott að hafa aðra Nord á þessum umræðum, ég var einmana. Sjáumst síðar, út í göngutúr með hundunum mínum.

Ok , hafa gaman! Ég er út að borða. Sjáumst síðar líka.

:o:Bíddu! Navy ræðu sérfræðinguro_O? Ég er meira sannfærður um að þú ert greind liðsforingi en nokkru sinni fyrr.

Grínast:lol:!

@Armstrong @Nihonjin1051 what do you make of this?

Ok , hafa gaman! Ég er út að borða. Sjáumst síðar líka.

:o:Bíddu! Navy ræðu sérfræðinguro_O? Ég er meira sannfærður um að þú ert greind liðsforingi en nokkru sinni fyrr.

Grínast:lol:!

@Armstrong @Nihonjin1051 what do you make of this?

Hmmm, i am confused. lol.

Please translate for me, Ms. Blue Eyes? :) :)

Hmmm, i am confused. lol.

Please translate for me, Ms. Blue Eyes? :) :)

:lol:Ok. So Sven responded to me that he never found Icelandic too hard of a language after you and I were talking about regional languages and I mentioned that Icelandic is hard - in Icelandic:

Whatever | Page 3840

So I asked Sven if he speaks Iceland and how he learned. Turns out he does and he learned in the United States Navy from a linguistics expert since the United States Navy doesn't have too many Icelandic speaking people in its service - let alone those that can conduct joint ops with native Icelandic speakers. He said he learned since NATO and Iceland sometimes cooperate in "joint-communications" and he was in a position to help in that respect.

I responded by saying that I'm more convinced he's an intelligence officer than ever before:o:.

That's the gist of the conversation, there's some personal stuff too, but I'll leave that untranslated:p:.

Last edited:
:lol:Ok. So Sven responded to me that he never found Icelandic too hard of a language after you and I were talking about regional languages and I mentioned that Icelandic is hard:

Whatever | Page 3840

So I asked Sven if he speaks Iceland and how he learned. Turns out he does and he learned in the United States Navy from a linguistics expert since the United States Navy doesn't have too many Icelandic speaking people in its service - let alone those that can conduct joint ops with native Icelandic speakers. He said he learned since NATO and Iceland sometimes cooperate in "joint-communications." and he was in a position to help in that respect.

I responded by saying that I'm more convinced he's an intelligence officer than ever before:o:.

That's the gist of the conversation, there's some personal stuff too, but I'll leave that untranslated:p:.

Haaaa ! Interesting...

:lol:Ok. So Sven responded to me that he never found Icelandic too hard of a language after you and I were talking about regional languages and I mentioned that Icelandic is hard - in Icelandic:

Whatever | Page 3840

So I asked Sven if he speaks Iceland and how he learned. Turns out he does and he learned in the United States Navy from a linguistics expert since the United States Navy doesn't have too many Icelandic speaking people in its service - let alone those that can conduct joint ops with native Icelandic speakers. He said he learned since NATO and Iceland sometimes cooperate in "joint-communications" and he was in a position to help in that respect.

Are you saying that @SvenSvensonov could be our very own Viking 007 ? :o:

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom