What's new

Whatever

Then watch sometime

@jamahir so you don't like Goodfells?

the only "criminal" film i liked was "heat"... seen it?? its a beautiful film... Heat (1995 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------
updated list of my all-time favorite films...

blade runner
jaane bhi do yaaron ( hindi )
rocket singh - salesman of the year ( hindi )
interstellar
gattaca
jhankaar beats ( hindi )
happy ending ( hindi )
vijeta ( hindi )
be cool
sunshine
little miss sunshine
24 weeks later
heat

Last edited:
I've seen grafting but never like that

and regarding dwarf gene,From the link you posted:

''Even dwarf fruit trees usually grow 8-10 feet high. I don’t know about you, but that is beyond what I can reach without using a ladder. I prefer to make my trees easy to manage by keeping them 4 – 6½ feet high''

@WAJsal posted those donno his source
Well it can be a mixture of more than 1 technique, draft gene plus a few other techniques....The 2 websites introduce the ways to get short tree...

@IrbiS it can also be using some special medium like rooting medium so you can take a developed stem and plant it with rooting medium - make it into a tree when it is really a stem to bear fruits...Or like according to the 2nd site:

Mini-Dwarf Rootstocks
There are only a few rootstocks that will dwarf a fruit tree to 6 feet high or less without a lot of pruning. One of them is the M27 for apples. This rootstock is also suitable for container growing. The M27 has a very weak root system – which is why it keeps apple trees so small. You need to keep this tree attached to a supporting post or trellis for its entire life, but you can start harvesting a good amount of fruit by its third year. It also needs regular fertilizing and watering, and it is very susceptible to fire blight.

Don’t let a fruit tree with this type of rootstock set any fruit until the tree has grown to the size and shape that you want. This rootstock can’t provide enough energy for a tree to grow its main primary branches and produce apples at the same time. It broke my heart, but I used scissors to cut off every blossom on my mini-dwarf apple trees for the first two years.

I started with apple trees on the M27 rootstock before I found out about the susceptibility to fire blight. I enjoy these mini trees very much, but I expect to lose them at some point to this disease. So I also planted 3 apple trees on fire blight-resistant semi-dwarf Geneva rootstocks. I am growing these trees as espaliers on trellises 5 feet high and 8 feet wide. You might not have a serious fire blight issue, so M27 rootstocks may be a good option for you.

Pruning Fruit Trees as Single Cordons
I chose to grow my mini-dwarf apple trees as single cordons – a single trunk with short fruiting branches growing along its length. It’s a very simple form to create. I planted these trees at an angle on a trellis. Growing these single cordons at an angle will slow the growth of the trees and encourage them to produce more fruit, but it does take up a little more space.

These are 1-year-old mini-dwarf apple trees on M27 rootstock, being pruned to form single cordons growing at an angle.

Mini-dwarf apple trees can also be grown as small single trees that are kept about 4 feet high and wide. Check out Gene’s Backyard Orchard for photos and directions about this growing method.

At the risk of becoming repetitious, I highly recommend the book, American Horticultural Society Pruning and Training
ir
. It includes hundreds of photos and drawings that clearly explain the various options available to you and exactly how to prune and train your plants over the years, from the day you plant them until they become mature. You can also learn more about pruning by viewing theHow To Prune a Fruit Tree YouTube videos at Dave Wilson Nursery’s Fruit Tube

Containers

I don’t have much experience with growing trees or shrubs in containers. However, when I had to move in 2010, I had 300 plants from my garden potted up and moved with me – including 2-year-old fruit trees and blueberry bushes. They handled the transition just fine, even after spending all summer in makeshift containers before I replanted them into new beds. I even harvested a few ripe blueberries while the bushes were still in the pots.

In general, though, I believe that it would be easier on both you and your fruit trees if you planted them in the ground, when it is possible. Trees in containers need more maintenance, and will produce less fruit. However, if you are not able to plant in the ground, or you have disabilities that would make it difficult for you to work in a yard, then containers would be a good option to try. The best book I’ve found so far on growing fruit in containers is McGee & Stuckey’s Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers
ir

If you choose to grow fruit trees or small fruit in containers, I suggest that you try using a fabric pot. Containers made from heavy fabric were originally developed and used by commercial tree growers. There are several different brands available.

Advantages:

• The entire container “breathes”
  • They drain very well
  • Fabric pots do not overheat in summer sunlight as much as plastic pots – overheating can kill roots and stunt the growth of the plant
  • The roots of the plants are naturally air-pruned – this air-pruning encourages the development of a very healthy fibrous root system, unlike the masses of circling roots you often find in plastic pots.

The roots of this young squash plant are already starting to circle inside the plastic pot they were growing in.

The squash plant growing in this Smart Pot is being air-pruned and forming a nice, fibrous root system.

I have used a brand of fabric pot called Smart Pots
ir
for three years now in my unheated hoop house. I have grown vegetables in these containers twelve months a year. I have been very satisfied with how vigorous the plants have grown, and how well the pots are holding up. Smart Pots
ir
are available in sizes ranging from 1 gallon up to 400 gallons.

One of the disadvantages to growing trees and shrubs in containers in cold climates is the increased risk of freeze damage to their root systems in winter. Because the roots of container trees are not protected by warmth of the ground, the plants “feel” as though they are living in a colder climate – about 2 zones colder. If you plan to leave your container plants unprotected outside all winter, make sure you choose the most hardy rootstock available. Of course, if you live in a place like Florida or California, you don’t have to worry about this.

Some people will bring their pots into an unheated garage or hoop house for the winter, or surround the outdoor pots with mulch to give some insulation. I have often overwintered smaller (1 quart to 2 gallon) containers outdoors by burying the pots in mulch, though it can put the plants at higher risk from damage from mice and voles.

Don’t forget that all containers can dry out in winter, too. Keep the surfaces mulched, check the soil moisture when it isn’t frozen, and water the containers when needed. Also, be aware of the weight of filled containers. A 10-gallon container can weigh 40-50 pounds; a 20-gallon container may weigh 100 pounds!

Part 6: Growing Dwarf Fruit Trees in Your Mini Fruit Garden - Abundant Mini Gardens

the only "criminal" film i liked was "heat"... seen it?? its a beautiful film.

Heat (1995 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah and I've been thinking to download again.

Atleast watch The Godfather 1972 nothing more than 2-4 minutes of violence in almost 3 hours

Well it can be a mixture of more than 1 technique, draft gene plus a few other techniques....The 2 websites introduce the ways to get short tree...

@IrbiS it can also be using some special medium like rooting medium so you can take a developed stem and plant it with rooting medium - make it into a tree when it is really a stem to bear fruits...Or like according to the 2nd site:

Mini-Dwarf Rootstocks
There are only a few rootstocks that will dwarf a fruit tree to 6 feet high or less without a lot of pruning. One of them is the M27 for apples. This rootstock is also suitable for container growing. The M27 has a very weak root system – which is why it keeps apple trees so small. You need to keep this tree attached to a supporting post or trellis for its entire life, but you can start harvesting a good amount of fruit by its third year. It also needs regular fertilizing and watering, and it is very susceptible to fire blight.

Don’t let a fruit tree with this type of rootstock set any fruit until the tree has grown to the size and shape that you want. This rootstock can’t provide enough energy for a tree to grow its main primary branches and produce apples at the same time. It broke my heart, but I used scissors to cut off every blossom on my mini-dwarf apple trees for the first two years.

I started with apple trees on the M27 rootstock before I found out about the susceptibility to fire blight. I enjoy these mini trees very much, but I expect to lose them at some point to this disease. So I also planted 3 apple trees on fire blight-resistant semi-dwarf Geneva rootstocks. I am growing these trees as espaliers on trellises 5 feet high and 8 feet wide. You might not have a serious fire blight issue, so M27 rootstocks may be a good option for you.

Pruning Fruit Trees as Single Cordons
I chose to grow my mini-dwarf apple trees as single cordons – a single trunk with short fruiting branches growing along its length. It’s a very simple form to create. I planted these trees at an angle on a trellis. Growing these single cordons at an angle will slow the growth of the trees and encourage them to produce more fruit, but it does take up a little more space.

These are 1-year-old mini-dwarf apple trees on M27 rootstock, being pruned to form single cordons growing at an angle.

Mini-dwarf apple trees can also be grown as small single trees that are kept about 4 feet high and wide. Check out Gene’s Backyard Orchard for photos and directions about this growing method.

At the risk of becoming repetitious, I highly recommend the book, American Horticultural Society Pruning and Training
ir
. It includes hundreds of photos and drawings that clearly explain the various options available to you and exactly how to prune and train your plants over the years, from the day you plant them until they become mature. You can also learn more about pruning by viewing theHow To Prune a Fruit Tree YouTube videos at Dave Wilson Nursery’s Fruit Tube

Containers

I don’t have much experience with growing trees or shrubs in containers. However, when I had to move in 2010, I had 300 plants from my garden potted up and moved with me – including 2-year-old fruit trees and blueberry bushes. They handled the transition just fine, even after spending all summer in makeshift containers before I replanted them into new beds. I even harvested a few ripe blueberries while the bushes were still in the pots.

In general, though, I believe that it would be easier on both you and your fruit trees if you planted them in the ground, when it is possible. Trees in containers need more maintenance, and will produce less fruit. However, if you are not able to plant in the ground, or you have disabilities that would make it difficult for you to work in a yard, then containers would be a good option to try. The best book I’ve found so far on growing fruit in containers is McGee & Stuckey’s Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers
ir

If you choose to grow fruit trees or small fruit in containers, I suggest that you try using a fabric pot. Containers made from heavy fabric were originally developed and used by commercial tree growers. There are several different brands available.

Advantages:

• The entire container “breathes”
  • They drain very well
  • Fabric pots do not overheat in summer sunlight as much as plastic pots – overheating can kill roots and stunt the growth of the plant
  • The roots of the plants are naturally air-pruned – this air-pruning encourages the development of a very healthy fibrous root system, unlike the masses of circling roots you often find in plastic pots.

The roots of this young squash plant are already starting to circle inside the plastic pot they were growing in.

The squash plant growing in this Smart Pot is being air-pruned and forming a nice, fibrous root system.

I have used a brand of fabric pot called Smart Pots
ir
for three years now in my unheated hoop house. I have grown vegetables in these containers twelve months a year. I have been very satisfied with how vigorous the plants have grown, and how well the pots are holding up. Smart Pots
ir
are available in sizes ranging from 1 gallon up to 400 gallons.

One of the disadvantages to growing trees and shrubs in containers in cold climates is the increased risk of freeze damage to their root systems in winter. Because the roots of container trees are not protected by warmth of the ground, the plants “feel” as though they are living in a colder climate – about 2 zones colder. If you plan to leave your container plants unprotected outside all winter, make sure you choose the most hardy rootstock available. Of course, if you live in a place like Florida or California, you don’t have to worry about this.

Some people will bring their pots into an unheated garage or hoop house for the winter, or surround the outdoor pots with mulch to give some insulation. I have often overwintered smaller (1 quart to 2 gallon) containers outdoors by burying the pots in mulch, though it can put the plants at higher risk from damage from mice and voles.

Don’t forget that all containers can dry out in winter, too. Keep the surfaces mulched, check the soil moisture when it isn’t frozen, and water the containers when needed. Also, be aware of the weight of filled containers. A 10-gallon container can weigh 40-50 pounds; a 20-gallon container may weigh 100 pounds!

Part 6: Growing Dwarf Fruit Trees in Your Mini Fruit Garden - Abundant Mini Gardens

Watched that section of page too. It say 6 feet or less

This is 2 two-year-old cherry trees planted together in a small bed.

Look above pic and those pics being discussed too. The fruits were outweighing the plant supporting them and with little ground to grow on and hold on. Maybe those pics are like Edward Norton's orange/apple tree from The Illusionist :what:

Reply to Daneshmand's post, the thread might have been deleted but I answered after it was deleted and didn't want the post going to waste:

Lets stop abusing the poster just because he is Iranian. We must be aware what the situation looks like to outsiders from fairly stable countries. To them it looks like Pakistan will fall within minutes and is highly unstable and in many ways this is true.

The difference between Irani and Pakistani psyche is that Iran treats the killing of its people as a major offense. Every attack that has occurred against Iran be it by Jundullah or other groups has been in some way responded to. On the other hand we are oblivious to the suffering of our people and we have become used to this killing. We do not consider these suicide bombings, targetted attacks and shootings as a major phenomenon and go about our lives normally.

This is the victim of war and bloodshed. We have become used to violence and it has become intermeshed in our society.We hear about an attack and go about things normally. Iranians and other nations treat human life as sacred.

In reality we should be like them and several ministers should resign as a result of these attacks. But in Pakistan we have never seen such resignations.

There is a difference between state collapse and instability. What Pakistan is facing is instability, not collapse of the state. Though in some cases this (state collapse) has happened (like in Swat and FATA) where the institutions have crumbled as the power of the Taliban and other takfiri outfits rose it is not happening all over the country. These terrorists have challenged the power holders but they are far from ruling Pakistan as a state.

There are a number of questions that we must ask.

Can the Taliban actually control territory-lets say they control FATA (even though such rule is contested), can they really control Islamabad or Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar or any other city? They use suicide bombings, car bombings and assasinations to weaken the state fabric, but can they tear it completely. Can they really enforce sharia law? (the way they see it)... Do they represent the majority of the people? Do they have wider political/national/ethnic support? If the answer is no then it is clear the state itself will not fall though it will continue "struggling" and "straggling" along. Not an ideal situation you would say, but also not one where the government, the community or people are about to fall to terrorists.

Also there are beautiful images of resistance to the takfiris which often the western media avoids. Malala Yousufzai, Aitzaz Hassan, the police guard who grappled with a suicide bomber. So there is hope. But there are problems as well. We need to for one, end our apathy to death and destruction, something we have grown used to due to years of undying, constant violence.

@Daneshmand @Suleiman, @haman10 @Serpentine

As always, it's a pleasure to read your posts. :tup:

one sided?? i didn't understand.

and well, it was a emotional outburst seeing all that cheering about deaths in that thread.

I was saying that IF you make it one sided to appeal certain party,group or sect whatever you call, it would be a good sermon for them

I was saying that IF you make it one sided to appeal certain party,group or sect whatever you call, it would be a good sermon for them

i see, yes... i have taken screenshot so i will modify it as and when, in text or speech... thanks.

Reply to Daneshmand's post, the thread might have been deleted but I answered after it was deleted and didn't want the post going to waste:

Lets stop abusing the poster just because he is Iranian. We must be aware what the situation looks like to outsiders from fairly stable countries. To them it looks like Pakistan will fall within minutes and is highly unstable and in many ways this is true.

The difference between Irani and Pakistani psyche is that Iran treats the killing of its people as a major offense. Every attack that has occurred against Iran be it by Jundullah or other groups has been in some way responded to. On the other hand we are oblivious to the suffering of our people and we have become used to this killing. We do not consider these suicide bombings, targetted attacks and shootings as a major phenomenon and go about our lives normally.

This is the victim of war and bloodshed. We have become used to violence and it has become intermeshed in our society.We hear about an attack and go about things normally. Iranians and other nations treat human life as sacred.

In reality we should be like them and several ministers should resign as a result of these attacks. But in Pakistan we have never seen such resignations.

There is a difference between state collapse and instability. What Pakistan is facing is instability, not collapse of the state. Though in some cases this (state collapse) has happened (like in Swat and FATA) where the institutions have crumbled as the power of the Taliban and other takfiri outfits rose it is not happening all over the country. These terrorists have challenged the power holders but they are far from ruling Pakistan as a state.

There are a number of questions that we must ask.

Can the Taliban actually control territory-lets say they control FATA (even though such rule is contested), can they really control Islamabad or Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar or any other city? They use suicide bombings, car bombings and assasinations to weaken the state fabric, but can they tear it completely. Can they really enforce sharia law? (the way they see it)... Do they represent the majority of the people? Do they have wider political/national/ethnic support? If the answer is no then it is clear the state itself will not fall though it will continue "struggling" and "straggling" along. Not an ideal situation you would say, but also not one where the government, the community or people are about to fall to terrorists.

Also there are beautiful images of resistance to the takfiris which often the western media avoids. Malala Yousufzai, Aitzaz Hassan, the police guard who grappled with a suicide bomber. So there is hope. But there are problems as well. We need to for one, end our apathy to death and destruction, something we have grown used to due to years of undying, constant violence.

@Daneshmand @Suleiman, @haman10 @Serpentine

You are right. But then you are among the only 0.01% of people. Unfortunately the rest are either apologetic or fully supporting these acts or are apathetic.

You and your comrades have an uphill battle on your hands if you are to come out of this in one piece. I am sorry being harsh, but this is the reality. The roots of this filth are pretty deep.

The answer is definitely NO .

but the question is : is that enough ? can a powerful and proud nation like pakistan accept such a situation ? i hope the answer is no , again .

Look mate , lets face it . Pakistan's main problem is not india . is not US either . its terrorism

I suggest a 3 step cure to this unfortunate disease and i'd love to read your response to it :

1- increase the GDP spent on education = > a long time but effective solution to all of pakistan's problems .

2- Declaring an state of war in pakistan . engaging all terrorist spots all around the country and get it over already

3- Meanwhile seeking big-loans and financial aids from muslim countries to handle this surge of expenditure more effectively .

This is not a status-quo situation . this is effecting pakistan on the largest scale possible . it has effected your economy , politics , power , education , welfare , healthcare , .....

this is an ALL-OUT war in my humble opinion . a war waged not only on pakistani nation but also on all other muslims around the world as a result .

Actually I think the first step should be an ideological construct and narrative that can stand up to Takfiri ideology. Right now, no such ideology exists in Sunni world, unfortunately. Basically the choices in Sunni world is coming to two: Secularism or Takfiri Violence. This is the root cause of why such pathetic violence finds support in Sunni world whether in Middle East or in Pakistan or elsewhere.

There is no ideological alternative available since none was built in the past several centuries. Other branches of Islam either do not have Takfir to begin with or have already built political ideological narratives which allow them to avoid violence. This thing in Pakistan will not go away with better education and economy and more money. In fact when Pakistan was lesser educated and had lesser GDP/capita it was much more peaceful.

Asteroid to pass the earth on may 26th

Attachments

• 1431589452269.jpg
    1431589452269.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom