What's new

What ya eating?

Went to village in KPK that is near to our village for a visit to an orange farm.

Ate plenty of oranges. There were plenty of blood red ones as well but could not take pictures as I was busy devouring them (some had family members in them so omitted those as well).View attachment 601719 View attachment 601720 View attachment 601721 View attachment 601722 View attachment 601723 View attachment 601724 View attachment 601725 View attachment 601726 View attachment 601727 View attachment 601728 View attachment 601729 View attachment 601730

View attachment 601736
very beautiful .... missing home now

Khanpur is famous for oranges ...

Onion-Pakora-3.jpg

very beautiful .... missing home now

Khanpur is famous for oranges ...

I have had the privilege of eating khanpur ones almost every season since 2001. I actually ate some last week as well.

They are also good. However, I for some reason prefer these ones.

bump..

so, we're in the grip of a bad bad heatwave here in the subcontinent right now.. I've been on a fresh fruit salad

1652870844470.png

and tandoori
1652870907568.png

1652870928442.png

diet lately.. red meat, greasy curries and kormas, even heavy daals like makhni are a big no no for now

grilled lean white meat (chicken) and fruits.. and of course plenty of:

1652871063448.png

Today after a long time I ate this (photo not mine, next time will try to click my own before eating):

ragi.jpg

Ragi balls with chicken curry.
Where: Street side vendor near my house
Cost: Rs 50 per ragi ball (unlimited curry servings included). They charge you per ball, not for curry. I ate 2.

Ragi is finger millet, also called Nachni ka aata in north India. It is very heavy and almost impossible to eat more than 2. They say it gives you lot of strength like Bahubali, but I always feel sleepy after eating it.

It is staple diet of Gowda community in Karnataka. Also popular in Telangana and AP.

@jamahir @Sharma Ji @SIPRA

Last edited:
Today after a long time I ate this (photo not mine, next time will try to click my own before eating):

View attachment 845130

Ragil balls with chicken curry.
Cost: Rs 50 per ragi ball (unlimited curry servings included). They charge you per ball, not for curry. I ate 2.

Ragi is finger millet, also called Nachni ka aata in north India. It is very heavy and almost impossible to eat more than 2. They say it gives you lot of strength like Bahubali, but I always feel sleepy after eating it.

It is staple diet of Gowda community in Karnataka. Also popular in Telangana and AP.

nice, man.. looks proper delish,, is that chicken curry with it ?

Andhra has some amazing food.. there's also this pork dish.. pandhi curry, boneless pork in a thick "lipti hui" curry.. originally from Karnataka but Andhras also do a version... amazing !

nice, man.. looks proper delish,, is that chicken curry with it ?

Andhra has some amazing food.. there's also this pork dish.. pandhi curry, boneless pork in a thick "lipti hui" curry.. originally from Karnataka but Andhras also do a version... amazing !
Yes, but in actual it was more chocolate brown color. The above looks like poor man's butter chicken. Not representative of the real thing at all.

I am not a pork fan except bacon and sausage.

Yes, but in actual it was more chocolate brown color. The above looks like poor man's butter chicken. Not representative of the real thing at all.

I am not a pork fan except bacon and sausage.
yeah, I generally avoid red meat for health reasons.. past 4 - 5 years I've not even been in Delhi during the winters.. miss those spicy mutton kormas and kebabs on a chilly night that warm you up. I wouldn't recommend pork generally but if you happen to chance upon a gunpowder type establishment.. saal me ek do baar to kar hi lena chahiye, those guys proper knock it out the park with literally all of their dishes.. even the veggie ones are some of the most authentic well prepared to die for...

but every now and then man kar jaata to go full crazy on some of that laal maans type stuff

yeah, I generally avoid red meat for health reasons.. past 4 - 5 years I've not even been in Delhi during the winters.. miss those spicy mutton kormas and kebabs on a chilly night that warm you up. I wouldn't recommend pork generally but if you happen to chance upon a gunpowder type establishment.. saal me ek do baar to kar hi lena chahiye, those guys proper knock it out the park with literally all of their dishes.. even the veggie ones are some of the most authentic well prepared to die for...

but every now and then man kar jaata to go full crazy on some of that laal maans type stuff

I have cut down on red meat too. Once in a month some beef kababs and mutton curries or biryani, but rest of the time it is mostly chicken and fish. My cholesterol was shooting up. In my 20s I worked in Mumbai and had red meat almost every day. Developed some liver issues and had to take it easy.

View attachment 845130

Ragil balls with chicken curry.

You ate two ragi balls I cannot bring myself to eat even two extractions of the ball. It is so tasteless and sticky and just unpleasant and doesn't mix properly with any curry one might have. Although I like ragi dosa.

As for the supposed strength-giving properties of the ragi ball the other belief goes that some Karnataka farmers gorge on it before they work the land and the ragi balls slowly release their energy and strength through the day so that the farmer sustains himself or herself in work. I don't know how true it is but one thing I know is that it certainly hasn't enabled much brain development. :lol:

As for eating I just now was eating a brand of potato biscuits having cream and herbs flavor. I forgot the brand because the packet is thrown away but the biscuits are supposed to taste like the green Lays chips but I tell you they have cheated. So bland. But happily I have set the utensil for tea with adrak so I will be soon sipping tea.

You ate two ragi balls I cannot bring myself to eat even two extractions of the ball. It is so tasteless and sticky and just unpleasant and doesn't mix properly with any curry one might have. Although I like ragi dosa.
Tasteless yes.
But it goes very well with simple south Indian curries. I have to admit it is an acquired taste.
It is poor man's food and when I eat it I like to imagine I am some medieval Indian farmer in Hampi.

Tasteless yes.
But it goes very well with simple south Indian curries. I have to admit it is an acquired taste.
It is poor man's food and when I eat it I like to imagine I am some medieval Indian farmer in Hampi.
Never tried it but seems at least in part similar to the Bihari Litti.. the key is to really really douse that fuckr in gravy and let it do its absorption thing, then tear off a bit of meat (if there's meat) and have it together in a bite, shakahari gravies also work good.

1652875966157.png

1652875992886.png

---------------------------------

this thread 🤤 , along with my slim jim I've been playing with have given me the munchies.... I just called for some Malabar Mutton and appams from this nice place called Swagath.

1652876536805.png

Never tried it but seems at least in part similar to the Bihari Litti.. the key is to really really douse that fuckr in gravy and let it do its absorption thing, then tear off a bit of meat (if there's meat) and have it together in a bite, shakahari gravies also work good.

View attachment 845140
View attachment 845141

---------------------------------

this thread 🤤 , along with my slim jim I've been playing with have given me the munchies.... I just called for some Malabar Mutton and appams from this nice place called Swagath.

View attachment 845144
Dammit. Appam and Mutton curry.
There is a Kerala mess right next to my house. I am tempted to visit it in the night but wife won't allow 2 non veg meals from outside on the same day. Iss cholestrol ka kuch karna hoga

Dammit. Appam and Mutton curry.
There is a Kerala mess right next to my house. I am tempted to visit it in the night but wife won't allow 2 non veg meals from outside on the same day. Iss cholestrol ka kuch karna hoga
ya, man.. health ka bada lafda hai bc.. tasty food and healthy food just don't get along, do they ? :angry:

mallus do some insane food, both veggie and otherwise.. and as a kafir hindu.. I toh indulge in all sorts of haram even, kya mast beef fry banate.. along with that flaky malabar porotta, omg..

1652877393218.png

Back
Top Bottom