What's new

What will be China's immigration policy?

Wright

Reaction score
As China rises - most people leaving for the US would instead try to get into China. Especially the poorer nations China is friendly with. what do you think will be the policy of the Chinese government?

I don't know much the policies, but I find this video to be pretty informative for those looking to work in China.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the chinese will, like the US has done, favor the friendly nations. Pakistanis should be the most preferred population for them and we can expect 100s of thousands of pakistanis all over china very soon.

Oh no, Chinese citizens are very very hostile to immigrants since they are suffering one-child policy themselves. They are already very vocal against government's policy to favor indigenous minorities; they do not need more minorities from other countries to enjoy favorable treatments. If China is democratic, it will be even more restrictive against immigrants. If you go to Chinese forums, there are already lots of discussions against increasing amount of temporary workers.

Plus, Chinese permanent residency status is probably the hardest to get in the world, let alone citizenship. The people that were ever granted citizenship in modern China are probably less than 1000, so I doubt this will ever change.

Disclaimer, this is just my observation from Chinese websites, so don't flame me. I know some Chinese are still having this "one world, one people" dream, and favor foreign immigrants, but I doubt that's majority opinion.

As China rises - most people leaving for the US would instead try to get into China. Especially the poorer nations China is friendly with. what do you think will be the policy of the Chinese government?

Also there is difference between China's friendship as government and Chinese people's friendship. The government might want to be friendly to certain countries for voting and moral support in international politics, but the people don't really care. Can the government ignore the people's wishes? I doubt it. Even though China is not democracy in traditional sense, the government does listen to the people.

The policy will evolve over time.

Soon, citizenship will be given to over seas Chinese first, then other citizens.

As China's working class gets less and less, we will need more work force.

I know other poorer countries have already came to China looking for work. A job in Shanghai and Beijing is so much more than say a job in their home country.

I believe the majority will be overseas Chinese, Vietnam, Philippines, and other South Asian nations.

The US didn't get their policy over night, how could we. We would need to see where we are at and what needs to be done to make that call.

Oh no, Chinese citizens are very very hostile to immigrants since they are suffering one-child policy themselves. They are already very vocal against government's policy to favor indigenous minorities; they do not need more minorities from other countries to enjoy favorable treatments. If China is democratic, it will be even more restrictive against immigrants. If you go to Chinese forums, there are already lots of discussions against increasing amount of temporary workers.

Plus, Chinese permanent residency status is probably the hardest to get in the world, let alone citizenship. The people that were ever granted citizenship in modern China are probably less than 1000, so I doubt this will ever change.

Any kind of mass immigration will trigger a very big backlash.

All the resources we have, need to be used to improve the lives of Chinese people first and foremost.

It's not as if we have enough resources to spare, that we can start taking care of non-Chinese citizens from other parts of the world.

I am sure China may allow a very selective group of immigrants.

They already have immigrants from NK etc.

However it will be hard to match the immigration policies in the following order

1. The most lenient: English speaking countries (UK, US, Canada, Australia)

2. After English speaking countries: Scandinavian countries.

3. Last but not least, South Europeans

China has a huge population hence more than enough skilled people. There won't be any change in policy in near future.

The policy will evolve over time.

Soon, citizenship will be given to over seas Chinese first, then other citizens.

As China's working class gets less and less, we will need more work force.

I know other poorer countries have already came to China looking for work. A job in Shanghai and Beijing is so much more than say a job in their home country.

I believe the majority will be overseas Chinese, Vietnam, Philippines, and other South Asian nations.

The US didn't get their policy over night, how could we. We would need to see where we are at and what needs to be done to make that call.

Vietnam has a below replacement fertility rate and a gender imbalance. They are not going to be in a position to export massive amounts of immigrants.

Do you know how hard it is to get a Chinese (PRC) Citizenship?

The prospect is they do not grant Citizenship to foreigner.......

The only thing they will give you is a permission to stay for work, study or touring. Although The SAR parts of China (HK/Macau) have the legal right to stay in China indefinitely. And they do enjoy the title "Chinese Citizens" but those Chinese Citizens are of different type than the one that born in Mainland China.

The only instant China will grant a foreign national Chinese Citizenship is either he/she was born in China with at least 1 Chinese parent, or you have an excel contribution to China and you were granted Chinese Citizenship by the Politburo. That is about the only way a foreigner can gain Chinese Citizenship.

Is China Open for Immigration?

You will not see an net immigration flow INTO China probably in our life time, people will still go to places like US or Australia for decade to come.

Do you know how hard it is to get a Chinese (PRC) Citizenship?

The prospect is they do not grant Citizenship to foreigner.......

The only thing they will give you is a permission to stay for work, study or touring. Although The SAR parts of China (HK/Macau) have the legal right to stay in China indefinitely. And they do enjoy the title "Chinese Citizens" but those Chinese Citizens are of different type than the one that born in Mainland China.

The only instant China will grant a foreign national Chinese Citizenship is either he/she was born in China with at least 1 Chinese parent, or you have an excel contribution to China and you were granted Chinese Citizenship by the Politburo. That is about the only way a foreigner can gain Chinese Citizenship.

Is China Open for Immigration?

You will not see an net immigration flow INTO China probably in our life time, people will still go to places like US or Australia for decade to come.

how long you plan to live 20, 30 years?

how long you plan to live 20, 30 years?

I did for 5, in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. No plan to return to China in the future

I can live there til the end of my life if I wanted. I have residence (戶籍) in DongGung (東莞), I don't believe it was taken away still

I did for 5, in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. No plan to return to China in the future

I can live there til the end of my life if I wanted. I have residence (戶籍) in DongGung (東莞), I don't believe it was taken away still

more of a comment to your our life time deal

I think the chinese will, like the US has done, favor the friendly nations. Pakistanis should be the most preferred population for them and we can expect 100s of thousands of pakistanis all over china very soon.

Chinese immigration policy will fundamentally be different from US. US is a migration country where native population does not exist in sufficient size, so immigrants are always important source of population. China, on the other hand, has a very large native population, so it is not likely to approve immigration as lightly.

Back
Top Bottom