What's new

What is your opinion regarding a Petrol/Diesel Car of the same category?

With Petrol and diesel price gap narrowing, I would recommend petrol car. When the gap was high, break even point was around 1500 KM for a life of 6 years plus. Now it would be 2500km Per month.

Diesel will have following additional cost.

Rs 1000 PM for interest cost of additional capital of Rs 1 Lakh.
Rs 150 Additional insurance er month for higher cost.
Rs 150 Additional Maintenance
RS 500 Additional Depreciation every month.

So unless you save Rs 1800 PM on fuel cost, There is no point in buying Diesel car.

Considering Rs. 1.25 saving per Kilometer in diesel option, for small cars, Break even point should be around 1500 KM.

Now that the difference between Petrol and Diesel price have come down to Rs.5.30 per litre, I would like to seek your opinion point wise regarding buying a new Car(though I am not considering buying one now, just opinions). Petrol or Diesel of the same type of Car, i.e buying a Petrol Dzire or Diesel Dzire??

@DRAY @Indischer @he-man @janon @SarthakGanguly @levina @Sidak @HariPrasad @kurup @arp2041 @ranjeet @sam @blood @GURU DUTT @AUSTERLITZ @anant_s @sreekumar @pursuit of happiness @TejasMk3 @Chanakya's_Chant @Mr.S.Singh @wolfschanzze @Mike_Brando @Ravi Nair @OrionHunter @scorpionx and others
there is not much of differnce in driving a new gen CRDI diesel or a petrol and also new diesel motors specially the 1.5 from Honda or the hyundai 1.6 are way way more durable and have lower maintainence cost almost at par with petrol motors motor but the main catch is usage if say you drive at least 50-100 Km daily go for diesel and to me the best diesel option right now is Honda Amaze 1.5 D the best of the rest by faar beit interior space , parctikel storage spaces or the boot space or be it stop go city traffik or streaching her legs on open highways Amaze takes aal that and still wants more and dosent complains rather enjoys it baki the Dzaire is the all round time tested platform if you just want to be nonadvantures type and then there is new TATA zest but according to my experience the best time to buy a TATA product is after at least 8 months cause they always tend to have a few niggling problems in the latest addition

but one thing to be noted is that there are unofficial reports that Maruti is already working on a brand new platform for its swift and dezire model and will be owt by december so if i have to put say 5.3 lacks id put a 50K more and buy a AMAZE and im sure if you make the same dissision you wont regret it

With Petrol and diesel price gap narrowing, I would recommend petrol car. When the gap was high, break even point was around 1500 KM for a life of 6 years plus. Now it would be 2500km Per month.

Diesel will have following additional cost.

Rs 1000 PM for interest cost of additional capital of Rs 1 Lakh.
Rs 150 Additional insurance er month for higher cost.
Rs 150 Additional Maintenance
RS 500 Additional Depreciation every month.

So unless you save Rs 1800 PM on fuel cost, There is no point in buying Diesel car.

Considering Rs. 1.25 saving per Kilometer in diesel option, for small cars, Break even point should be around 1500 KM.

Yes, the bold are quite informative.

Now that the difference between Petrol and Diesel price have come down to Rs.5.30 per litre, I would like to seek your opinion point wise regarding buying a new Car(though I am not considering buying one now, just opinions). Petrol or Diesel of the same type of Car, i.e buying a Petrol Dzire or Diesel Dzire??

@DRAY @Indischer @he-man @janon @SarthakGanguly @levina @Sidak @HariPrasad @kurup @arp2041 @ranjeet @sam @blood @GURU DUTT @AUSTERLITZ @anant_s @sreekumar @pursuit of happiness @TejasMk3 @Chanakya's_Chant @Mr.S.Singh @wolfschanzze @Mike_Brando @Ravi Nair @OrionHunter @scorpionx and others
---
its depnds on few parametes
like ,
1.cost of fuel..
2.your requirement.. perosonal vs commercial use..city vs other use
3. Distance .. avg long vs short distance
4. Time .. you want to change to new model.
5.initial cost -- petrol vs diseal
--
Petrol
will be helpful if your avg run is less
if you use in trafic in city condition
if you ready to pay higgher intial cost than disela but avg cost lesser than diseal
for small distace lesser torque .. and lesser avg load capacity
--
for diseal
exact oppsoite of above
--
these links acan help better
Do you really need a diesel? | Feature | Autocar India
petrol vs diesel cars (general comparision) | The Thinking Pad | Car Forums - CarWale
The Everlasting Toss Up Between Petrol & Diesel Cars –Which to Choose? | Life Hacker India
petrol vs diesel cars (general comparision) | The Thinking Pad | Car Forums - CarWale

For smaller cars go petrol, desel engines smaller than 3.0L are not worth it.

I have a car which runs on diesel and love diesel engines.

For smaller cars go petrol, desel engines smaller than 3.0L are not worth it.

Small diesel cars can be extremely fuel efficient, much more than the equivalent gasoline engined version.

Small diesel cars can be extremely fuel efficient, much more than the equivalent gasoline engined version.
Diesel cars are expensive to buy and their servicing is much more expensive too.
Over the life of car the price gap becomes irrelevant.
On the other hand for towing and 4wd diesel is best given the meaty torque available at low rev range.

Last edited:
Well it depends on your usage:

If you use it for long runs and highways, then diesel is suggested, If you are planning to use it mostly inside the city then go for Petrol.

If you love smoothness go for petrol, and if you love outright power, then go for a diesel which has a turbo charged engine,

I would suggest a petrol car than diesel one......

I am driving Honda Amaze diesel as of now...
And it truly is amazing... With mileage of approx 20kms per liter of diesel in city/highway drive in a 50:50 ratio... Very peppy engine and fun to drive...

And planning to buy Hyundai i20 elite petrol in 2-3 months... Already test drove it.. All thumbs up...

Please someone add a pic of i20 elite ...
To difficult for me using a phone...
Ty.. :)

That looks like a good combo but i am still not sold on these tiny diesel engines.
Lets see how they pan out reliability wise over the years.

These little diesels are actually longer lasting than gasoline engines of the same size, given proper care.

the only disadvantage diesel cars have over petrol is the noise which is reduced to almost to unnoticable in the luxury brands. the advantage of diesel is much higher torque than Petrol cars so you can have a fully loaded diesel car not going phusss like a petrol car. I dont know the quality of Dzire cars but if you buy a diesel Mercedes, VW you will nver drive a petrol car again.

Back
Top Bottom