What's new

What is your mother tongue ? What other languages you can read, write and speak ?

Not all Konkani folks are Goud Saraswat Brahmin,they can also be kokanastha (konkan) Brahmins only....
The gsb community is quite small with some pretty big names like Vijay Malaya and aishwarya rai that form its ranks....also extremely entrepreneurial as a community

AFAIK, Aishwarya rai is not a GSB, she belongs to bunts community. Deepika Padukone is GSB though.

Aishwarya Rai is not a konkani, she is a bunt.. most commonly known as Shetty's. She is from the same community as Sunil Shetty, Shilpa Shetty, Dr Devi Shetty..etc.

You over took me :tup:

Besides languages of romance coming straight from my heart,

I can also speak English, Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, selected words and phrases from various European languages such as French, German, Italian, Scandinavian languages and also Arabic.

I can read English, Urdu, Punjabi if written in urdu format and not Indian version, Persian, Arabic, Scandinavian languages, French, German, Italian, some spanish and also Dutch.

I can write English, Urdu, Punjabi in my regional fonts and some French.

Technically tri-lingual with Urdu, English and Punjabi being my mother tongue and generally spoken languages.

Aishwarya Rai is not a konkani, she is a bunt.. most commonly known as Shetty's. She is from the same community as Sunil Shetty, Shilpa Shetty, Dr Devi Shetty..etc.

I didn't say she was Konkani...she is Kannada, and the bunts as a community are ver close to the gsb's ...my grandma is from the same community as ash..while my grandpa is gsb...they seem to think they aren't that diff

I could be wrong...anyways, like it makes a diff to me, I get best of both worlds being hybrid :)

I didn't say she was Konkani...she is Kannada, and the bunts as a community are ver close to the gsb's ...my grandma is from the same community as ash..while my grandpa is gsb...they seem to think they aren't that diff

Can you speak/understand both tulu and konkani ?

they are, indeed.

Assyriology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also, i was very interested in telugu but couldn't find any book with audio. without audio guide it's almost impossible to understand telugu sounds :D

There are many telugu speaking members here, perhaps, they might help you locating the resources.

BTW, I am curious, why only Telugu ?

I could be wrong...anyways, like it makes a diff to me, I get best of both worlds being hybrid :)

Like the hybrid word " Encha Mhaaraya " ? ( Encha Uller & Kassal Mhaaraya ) ? :D

Last edited:

well.. if you go by the books, then there is quite a few differences between Konkani & bunts. While bunts are predominantly non-vegetarians, konkanis are vegitarians. While bunts are mostly agriculturists, konkanis are traders. While bunts speak tulu, konkanis speak in konkani.. & also there is no marriage between the communities. Now.. this was the practice in the past. But there is no hard & fast rule in this day & age!

Last edited:
hehe,have plans to do it after engg.

Amaa Engineering to har Amar, Akbar or Anthony kar leta hai. # just joking #

par sach me yar aap logo ka repo IAS/IPS me bohot sahi hai. mere almost sare banarasi dost Delhi/Allahabad me filhal usi ki preparations kar rahe :enjoy:

aapko bhi good luck. :big_boss:

konkanis are vegitarians.

That's not entirely correct ! around 50% GSBs are non-vegitarians or shall I name them "Fishitarians", fish eating is common in around 50% of GSBs who live in Coastal Karnataka. Red meat consumption was/is still prohibited. However, times have changed now so as people. Especially gents eat Chicken/Mutton in restaurants.

That's not entirely correct ! around 50% GSBs are non-vegitarians or shall I name them "Fishitarians", fish eating is common in around 50% GSBs who live in Coastal Karnataka. Red meat consumption was/is still prohibited. However, time have changed now so as people. Especially gents eat Chicken/Mutton in restaurants.

I agree. As i said, this was a practice in the past, not necessarily it is followed now. You may know.. GSBs around mangalore side run temples & act as priests as well. There are strictly GSB run & managed temples in places like Mulki, Karkala etc. You may find more similarities between Brahmins & GSBs around there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom