What's new

What is your idea about the possibility of secularism in Iran?

Is there anybody in the forum who is not thankful of having secular state in his/her country?

in fact a secular government is not related to the cultural - religious structure. even in Iran there was always secular governments ( with old meaning) except ghajars and safavids. but in all of the cases both people and kings had beliefs in religion but the government was secular. even there was something like secularism idea for revolution but when it came to the case of Velaiat Faghih, many things was changed by the will of the people.

At least I could say your figures is true in this forum ;). The reason that the number of secularism supporters grow in Iran could be the lack of reasoning from religion-based government supporters. would you please provide us about the concept of "Velaiat Faghih".

it's not hard to establish a secular government with the meaning of a government without religion. even now the governments are approaching this idea.

In my opinion at current condition it is too costly to establish a secular state. Personally I see Khamneyi's policy more monopole than Khomeyni's, especially considering the fact that by that time we were in a war ...

this mostly hurt the religiouse people and the "Olama" + PEOPLE! and when i see that these secular things of government hurt the people so the people won't accept it ...
There are lots of "Olama" who support secular government system.

According to this census, Iranians and Turks are both in the top 10 of 'atheist' countries:

Top 10 Countries

Atheist Census - Numbers matter. Be counted.

Although the number of participants is too few, hence it can not be used as a reliable source to understand public view about religion, but in my opinion it is important as it shows how forcing religion down people's throats backfires and increases the number of atheists.

But i've lost my hopes for Iran after seeing that little 'avatar rebellion' of Iranians here.

Although the number of participants is too few, hence it can not be used as a reliable source to understand public view about religion, but in my opinion it is important as it shows how forcing religion down people's throats backfires and increases the number of atheists.

You're correct about this. Its not really representative, but its a clear trend. Especially if you compare Iran and Turkey with other countries in the region; it confirms my former opinion of Turks and Iranians being quite moderate.

But i've lost my hopes for Iran after seeing that little 'avatar rebellion' of Iranians here.

If your hope for Iran was based on these members here, I've bad (or good) news for you. These military fanboys and kids don't represent Iran. Actually, most Iranians see these guys as 'lowlife' figures, bragging online about Iran's (military) achievements, while having no clear perception of the world or even the intellect to engage in serious discussions. Don't pay too much attention to them. Go to Iran and you would meet completely the opposite people.

But those numbers are of people who have internet connection, speak English, most of university degree, I don't know if it represents the general public.

Well, since Iran and Turkey both have a relatively high educated population, the trend is quite clear.

If your hope for Iran was based on these members here, I've bad (or good) news for you. These military fanboys and kids don't represent Iran. Actually, most Iranians see these guys as 'lowlife' figures, bragging online about Iran's (military) achievements, while having no clear perception of the world or even the intellect to engage in serious discussions.

I have met/seen more than 40-50 Iranians in various sites but haven't seen an Iranian from Iran supporting the idea of secularism except Ir.Tab. What are the odds?

According to this census, Iranians and Turks are both in the top 10 of 'atheist' countries:

Top 10 Countries

Atheist Census - Numbers matter. Be counted.

Did you care to look at how those figures are made?
Atheist people from different countries sign up in this site.Only because 3200 people from Iran signed it doesn't mean Iran is among top 10 atheist countries.Turkey, with more than 90% of its people believe in God, has second lowest atheist percentage in Europe.
Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you ask yourself that China, with more than 150 million atheists is not even in the list?That site is more like a petition,not a census.

Secularism is different that atheism as you know.Iranians may (and not surely) be secular by majority, but in noway they are atheists in majority.not even close.
I have met/seen more than 40-50 Iranians in various sites but haven't seen an Iranian from Iran supporting the idea of secularism except Ir.Tab. What are the odds?

Then you haven't read carefully my friend.Add me, S00r3na, Shahin Vatani,Abii and Etiene too.Arian, a member who used to visit here was an atheist and secular too.Also 2 other members that I don't remember their name exactly.

Its because we both are interested in military developments, and that simply attracts military fanboys from both countries. If you visit Skyscrapercity, Iranian football or historical forums, or even some blogs, you would see that these guys don't really represent Iran. They are the people that sit behind their computer the whole day, waiting for the regime to release something 'new', so they can brag all day about their fantastic country and developments.

Did you care to look at how those figures are made?
Atheist people from different countries sign up in this site.Only because 3200 people from Iran signed it doesn't mean Iran is among top 10 atheist countries.Turkey, with more than 90% of its people believe in God, has second lowest atheist percentage in Europe.
Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you ask yourself that China, with more than 150 million atheists is not even in the list?That site is more like a petition,not a census.

Secularism is different that atheism as you know.Iranians may (and not surely) be secular by majority, but in noway they are atheists in majority.not even close.

Iranians abroad are among the top of atheist groups. Even the people who have left Iran not long ago turn remarkably in to atheist when they leave Iran. Its impossible to see such thing developing, while denying that this trend is not happening in Iran. Both trend goes hand in hand.

According to official numbers; only 1.4% of Iranians attend friday prayers. I don't claim a majority of Iranians are atheists, but I do believe that a relatively large portion of Turks and Iranians are atheist, agnostics or simply non-practical. Its impossible to see a significant atheist movement in Iran, considering the dangers, but I can assure you that if this regime is gone, many Iranians would turn their back to religion. Even conservative blogs of regime-supporters are warning that the Iranian youth is turning to atheism.

Its because we both are interested in military developments, and that simply attracts military fanboys from both countries. If you visit Skyscrapercity, Iranian football or historical forums, or even some blogs, you would see that these guys don't really represent Iran. They are the people that sit behind their computer the whole day, waiting for the regime to release something 'new', so they can brag all day about their fantastic country and developments.

So are you saying that the majority of Iranians in Iran in fact are in favor of secularism? If so, how do you know that since i'm sure the regime is not allowing surveys to be conducted... Observation?

Back
Top Bottom