What's new

What is Dirilis Ertugrul and why does Imran Khan want Pakistanis to watch it?

Yugoslavia’s principal significance for the Western alliance during the Cold War was as a buffer state vis-a-vis the Soviet Union and as a model of an independent, non-Soviet Communist state. These factors became less important in the second half of the 1980s, when Mikhail Gorbachev ruled the Soviet Union and the Cold War was winding down. Milosevic was initially identified by some influential Western observers as a possible ‘Balkan Gorbachev’; a Communist reformer who might bring positive change to Yugoslavia. The most important such observer was the veteran US policymaker Lawrence Eagleburger, who became deputy Secretary of State in January 1989. In his confirmation hearings in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on 15-16 March 1989, Eagleburger stated that ‘there is no question in my mind that Milosevic is in terms of economics a Western market-oriented fellow… [who] is playing on and using Serbian nationalism, which has been contained for so many years, in part I think as an effort to force the central government to come to grips with some very tough economic problems.’ (Glaurdic, p. 40).

This initial US appreciation for Milosevic dovetailed with a more important consideration: the fear that a collapse of Yugoslavia would create a precedent for the Soviet Union, weakening the position of Gorbachev himself. Of decisive importance was not merely that Western and in particular US leaders viewed Gorbachev as a valued friend, but the extreme conservatism of their ideology as regards foreign policy. Simply put, the US administration of George H.W. Bush valued stability above all else, including democratic reform, and actually preferred Communist strongmen, not only in the USSR but also in Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia, to the democratic opposition to them. Bush and his team feared the collapse of the Soviet Union and the destabilisation that this threatened – given, among other things, the latter’s nuclear arsenal. This led them to acquiesce readily in Soviet repression in Lithuania, Latvia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. Their acquiescence in Milosevic’s repressive policies was a natural corollary.

Yugoslavia’s principal significance for the Western alliance during the Cold War was as a buffer state vis-a-vis the Soviet Union and as a model of an independent, non-Soviet Communist state. These factors became less important in the second half of the 1980s, when Mikhail Gorbachev ruled the Soviet Union and the Cold War was winding down. Milosevic was initially identified by some influential Western observers as a possible ‘Balkan Gorbachev’; a Communist reformer who might bring positive change to Yugoslavia. The most important such observer was the veteran US policymaker Lawrence Eagleburger, who became deputy Secretary of State in January 1989. In his confirmation hearings in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on 15-16 March 1989, Eagleburger stated that ‘there is no question in my mind that Milosevic is in terms of economics a Western market-oriented fellow… [who] is playing on and using Serbian nationalism, which has been contained for so many years, in part I think as an effort to force the central government to come to grips with some very tough economic problems.’ (Glaurdic, p. 40).

This initial US appreciation for Milosevic dovetailed with a more important consideration: the fear that a collapse of Yugoslavia would create a precedent for the Soviet Union, weakening the position of Gorbachev himself. Of decisive importance was not merely that Western and in particular US leaders viewed Gorbachev as a valued friend, but the extreme conservatism of their ideology as regards foreign policy. Simply put, the US administration of George H.W. Bush valued stability above all else, including democratic reform, and actually preferred Communist strongmen, not only in the USSR but also in Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia, to the democratic opposition to them. Bush and his team feared the collapse of the Soviet Union and the destabilisation that this threatened – given, among other things, the latter’s nuclear arsenal. This led them to acquiesce readily in Soviet repression in Lithuania, Latvia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. Their acquiescence in Milosevic’s repressive policies was a natural corollary.

@dBSPL

My father side are Turkish immigrants from Albania. Mother side Kurd. We can't choose where we came from. But we can decide where we're going.
My wife studied in a madrassah in Albania for 1.5 years. So she learned half of Quran by heart

Yes, Pakistan army was on deputation in Bosnia to protect the Muslims from Serbs.
I myself remember Bosnian orphans transported to Pakistan by Pakistan army under UN program of rehabilitation.
Most were admitted to renowned Pakistani Madressahs and went back to revive islam in their country.
Bosnians still remember it in good words. They respect Pakistanis for the role our army played there.

I have watched 4 seasons of Drillis (known as Etrugrul to most fans).
It is an amazing piece of work. Teaches us about the Islamic history, culture, tradition, unity, brotherhood, teaches about respect, honour, love for parents.

Netflix is the best place to watch, the downside is they make errors in some translations. There is a woman called Melissa, she does a very good translation but her show is not on netflix, it's on VlextTv. Do some research:)

My wife studied in a madrassah in Albania for 1.5 years. So she learned half of Quran by heart

Bosnians still remember it in good words. They respect Pakistanis for the role our army played there.
I been to Albania, and good to know that your wife leaned Quran there..
However my experience was shocking. I saw Muslims and non muslims eating pork together and the only difference between them, was that Muslims were wearing a crescent necklace and others wearing a cross necklace. When i criticised the Muslim Albanians, they just said "No problem , no problem" :lol:

Last edited:
However my experience was shocking. I saw Muslims and non muslims eating port together and the only difference between them, was that Muslims were wearing a crescent necklace and others wearing a cross necklace. When i criticised the Muslim Albanians, they just said "Mo problem , no problem" :lol:
Yup she told me about their culture.. I have not been there but I have plan to visit with her.

I remember telling a Bosnian Christian lady I was from Pakistan and her face lit up like the moon, from happiness.

However my experience was shocking. I saw Muslims and non muslims eating pork together and the only difference between them, was that Muslims were wearing a crescent necklace and others wearing a cross necklace. When i criticised the Muslim Albanians, they just said "No problem , no problem" :lol:

You cant blame them. The Albanian government officially banned religion. Muslims were not in any shape or form allowed to practise their faith during the communist era. I know this from Albanian friends i have here in Sweden. The current generarion are offspring of forcibly "atheized" citizens. The Kosovo Albanians in fact tend to be more religious as Yugoslavia was not as extreme in its religious oppression, and also because religion was a rallying factor for them against the Orthodox Serbs during their independence war.

I have watched 4 seasons of Drillis (known as Etrugrul to most fans).
It is an amazing piece of work. Teaches us about the Islamic history, culture, tradition, unity, brotherhood, teaches about respect, honour, love for parents.

Netflix is the best place to watch, the downside is they make errors in some translations. There is a woman called Melissa, she does a very good translation but her show is not on netflix, it's on VlextTv. Do some research:)
So netflix also contains subtitles?

A lot of emphasis is also placed on Hazrat Ali whom the Turkish warriors consider their patron.

True!!! Muslims armies across the ajam inherited this turkish tradition hence the battle cry Haideri is a norm - - - - - - -.

Then I have no recollection of it.

From what I know it created quite a controversy, with BJP insisting that it be banned.
Watch it on youtube..

This gave me goosebumps..

Hindutva lot always had a problem with anything muslim be it Tipu Sultan or even Akbar, The Great.

They forget how the hindu kings ravaged Buddhism, killed, massacred and raped in Bengal etc..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom