What's new

What Has NOT Changed in China? An Analysis of the Chinese One-Party Dictatorship

ssheppard

Reaction score
Some 60 years ago, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) came to power after a bloody civil war and established the “People’s Republic” of China.

The CCP was able to win the civil war because most Chinese people were disappointed with the legitimate Guomindang government, a corrupt and undemocratic regime, and the CCP made wonderful promises.

Two of them were especially appealing: The first is the promise of land reform, made to the peasantry who made up more than 80% of the population. The second is the promise of democracy, made particularly to the better educated urban people.

What happened to both of these promises?:undecided:

‘Kill or Be Killed’

China’s experiences in the 20th century reinforced the national consensus of the importance of ruthless competition for economic and military power. Every Chinese child is taught Mao Zedong’s admonition “If you’re backward, you’ll be beaten upand it follows that if you’re beaten up that’s probably because you’re weak and useless (and therefore have only got yourself to blame).

Conversely if you are strong and powerful you can legitimately beat up others. Mao also taught his followers that, confronted with an adversary, it was a matter of killing or being killed. It is only zero-sum games that the CCP plays. It is in this social Darwinist spirit that Deng Xiaoping instructed “[Economic] development overrides everything else.” That means economic growth at any cost, even if it has brought about a yawning and worsening gap between rich and poor and irreversible environmental degradation.

Today social Darwinian sentiment is mixed with a popular nationalism—a nationalist sentiment based on the belief in survival of the fittest and resulting from the ambition to replace the United States as the dominant power—first in Asia and subsequently in the world. Nationalism is increasingly used to fill the vacuum created by the CCP’s abandonment of communist ideology.

Ross Terrill, a leading Australian-born China expert in the world, says, “In tacit acknowledgment of the weakness of its belief system, the Party-state, to stave off its death, added the gaudy mask of nationalism.” (The New Chinese Empire, page 154). Now patriotism is rated as the No. 1 virtue in the CCP book. Over 200 hundred years ago Dr Samuel Johnson said, “Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.” How true!

Some 60 years ago, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) came to power after a bloody civil war and established the “People’s Republic” of China.

The CCP was able to win the civil war because most Chinese people were disappointed with the legitimate Guomindang government, a corrupt and undemocratic regime, and the CCP made wonderful promises.

Two of them were especially appealing: The first is the promise of land reform, made to the peasantry who made up more than 80% of the population. The second is the promise of democracy, made particularly to the better educated urban people.

What happened to both of these promises?:undecided:

It started to get quiet on :pdf: with indianrabbit threatening to leave. I kinda felt bored/sad, but then this provocative propaganda piece of yours should spice things up a notch.

Up late working, nothing interesting on the usual forums/news sites. So some spicing up here would be entertaining. I don't take our debates here as serious as life and death, so I hope Indianrabbit realizes it also and comes back. It's a way to learn, make friends, educate others, and stress relief. :cheers:

Forgotten. Obvioiusly. CCP is so strong now. Very little resistance is there as long as it can ensure decent living to masses. and uplift people from proverty.

I heard that there is a video leak from Tibet, It is of a protest march.

just like any other politician...
there is no way they can keep all their promises
Both government are just as corrupted... (Chinese heritage ==.==")
By the way, if ROC did not lost in the civil war...
In most case, I would believe China would be another India.
At a certain point, I consider that lucky...

Officials Accumulating Wealth, People in Poverty

And CCP officials have set a new record of personal wealth accumulation at the expense of the people. A study undertaken by Chinese researchers two years ago reveals that the income of Party and government officials is 8 to 25 times that of urban dwellers, and 25 to 85 times that of rural people. Of the 3,200 super-rich in mainland China whose personal wealth exceeds 100 million Chinese Yuan (US$14.6 million), 2,932, or over 90 percent, are adult children of top Chinese leaders. At the same time, 400 to 500 million rural Chinese, almost 35 percent of the population still live under US$2 a day, or at subsistence level.

The CCP today has abandoned its communist ideals of public ownership and egalitarian distribution of wealth, and it keeps scoffing at the universal values of democracy, human rights and rule of law. It is singularly devoid of values. Its actions are guided by a crude form of social Darwinism.

Social Darwinism began to enjoy enormous influence among the Chinese intelligentsia in early 20th century. It was used to explain why Western powers were able to subjugate other lands (like China), and at the same time it was a wake-up call for the Chinese people to do whatever they could to make their country strong so as to survive and thrive.

It started to get quiet on :pdf: with indianrabbit threatening to leave. I kinda felt bored/sad, but then this provocative propaganda piece of yours should spice things up a notch.

Up late working, nothing interesting on the usual forums/news sites. So some spicing up here would be entertaining. I don't take our debates here as serious as life and death, so I hope Indianrabbit realizes it also and comes back. It's a way to learn, make friends, educate others, and stress relief. :cheers:

Fair Exchange....Give and take......:angel:

Brainwashing Generations, Controlling Religions

“Perception management” may be a term coined by the US Department of Defense, but it is a skill of which the CCP is a past master. The result is that entire generations of Chinese have been brainwashed. This, I think, is the great loss for the Chinese nation.
Nothing in the CCP’s control of the Chinese minds is more bizarre than religion. China is the only country in the world whose government includes a Religious Affairs Bureau. This Bureau supervises the activities of all faiths. Believers are allowed to worship only in state-sanctioned-and-supervised churches and temples. Any religious organization that the CCP finds difficult to control will be subjected to ruthless persecution. The bloody crackdown of Falun Gong is a case in point.

Paternal authoritarianism is deeply rooted in Chinese culture. The Chinese word for “country” or “state” is composed of the two ideograms of guo and jia, meaning “state” and “family.” The country is ruled like a family, where the rulers are parents and the people are kids. As “Dad knows best,” the rulers make decisions for the people, from what they may know to how many children a couple may have. The people have no civil rights, no freedom of speech or assembly, and their participation in public affairs is tightly controlled.

On the other hand, just like responsible parents, good rulers should see to it that the people are fed, clothed and sheltered. And it is the large-scale relief efforts and huge social projects that justify such authoritarianism.

The problem with paternalistic authoritarianism is that the rulers are not genuine parents of the people. Consequently the rulers will not be genuinely concerned with the welfare of the people as genuine parents usually are with the welfare of their children. Instead, with unaccountable and unrestrained power in hands, almost all Chinese rulers have been corrupt, bleeding the people dry to accumulate fortunes for their own families.

Officials Accumulating Wealth, People in Poverty

And CCP officials have set a new record of personal wealth accumulation at the expense of the people. A study undertaken by Chinese researchers two years ago reveals that the income of Party and government officials is 8 to 25 times that of urban dwellers, and 25 to 85 times that of rural people. Of the 3,200 super-rich in mainland China whose personal wealth exceeds 100 million Chinese Yuan (US$14.6 million), 2,932, or over 90 percent, are adult children of top Chinese leaders. At the same time, 400 to 500 million rural Chinese, almost 35 percent of the population still live under US$2 a day, or at subsistence level.

The CCP today has abandoned its communist ideals of public ownership and egalitarian distribution of wealth, and it keeps scoffing at the universal values of democracy, human rights and rule of law. It is singularly devoid of values. Its actions are guided by a crude form of social Darwinism.

Social Darwinism began to enjoy enormous influence among the Chinese intelligentsia in early 20th century. It was used to explain why Western powers were able to subjugate other lands (like China), and at the same time it was a wake-up call for the Chinese people to do whatever they could to make their country strong so as to survive and thrive.

well, as I have said in my previous post...
Chinese heritage ==.==" corrupted officials.....
anyways, I really have no idea how much chinese people make daily... but USD$2 a day? are you sure about that?

I have friends working in China... they are make around USD$800 a month...

Anyways, if the person lives with his/her family... even USD$2 a day certain will not starve.

(Although I also finds it unimaginable to only make $2 a day...) but its depends where the person lives... I believe there are places that you can live with only USD$2 a day.

Brainwashing Generations, Controlling Religions

“Perception management” may be a term coined by the US Department of Defense, but it is a skill of which the CCP is a past master. The result is that entire generations of Chinese have been brainwashed. This, I think, is the great loss for the Chinese nation.
Nothing in the CCP’s control of the Chinese minds is more bizarre than religion. China is the only country in the world whose government includes a Religious Affairs Bureau. This Bureau supervises the activities of all faiths. Believers are allowed to worship only in state-sanctioned-and-supervised churches and temples. Any religious organization that the CCP finds difficult to control will be subjected to ruthless persecution. The bloody crackdown of Falun Gong is a case in point.

Paternal authoritarianism is deeply rooted in Chinese culture. The Chinese word for “country” or “state” is composed of the two ideograms of guo and jia, meaning “state” and “family.” The country is ruled like a family, where the rulers are parents and the people are kids. As “Dad knows best,” the rulers make decisions for the people, from what they may know to how many children a couple may have. The people have no civil rights, no freedom of speech or assembly, and their participation in public affairs is tightly controlled.

On the other hand, just like responsible parents, good rulers should see to it that the people are fed, clothed and sheltered. And it is the large-scale relief efforts and huge social projects that justify such authoritarianism.

The problem with paternalistic authoritarianism is that the rulers are not genuine parents of the people. Consequently the rulers will not be genuinely concerned with the welfare of the people as genuine parents usually are with the welfare of their children. Instead, with unaccountable and unrestrained power in hands, almost all Chinese rulers have been corrupt, bleeding the people dry to accumulate fortunes for their own families.

You being a "Major" member... with such ridiculous act...
You go on, have fun

Just helping some people look inside....because they love to show the mirror to everyone here.

Thanks for your patience.

HaHa, will you please show me your source of your brilliant so-called

new articles, hope you know its against the forum rule to post

without creditable link. My guess=from some anti-China site ? old

news articles ? :smitten::pakistan::china:

Then go to the West (or India), academics, the U.S. military, the U.S. diplomats, doctors and their regime's view of the Red Army, you can have a better understanding, all received first-hand information on some adventure, I have a lot of Chinese books, but the No English

Back
Top Bottom