What's new

What happened between Zia and Rajiv Gandhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the point of this self serving bs? There is no link nothing to the original statement apparently made in the India Today?neral

Am surprised the blog didnt claim that that Rajiv Gandhi peed his pants after listening to what Gen Zia had to say!

Whether he peed or NOT are you denying the fiasco of your brasstacks ?? and do you deny that ONLY after visit of Zia Indian army withdrawn its forces from Pakistani border.?

As far as the nuke threat well Zia himself is said to had denied that claim BUT the international analysts and media says that after this visit india backed off . also a hint about Pakistan's possessing nukes too was made during that visit.

Whether he peed or NOT are you denying the fiasco of your brasstacks ?? and do you deny that ONLY after visit of Zia Indian army withdrawn its forces from Pakistani border.?

Yes I do. Operation Brasstracks was never meant to be a War against Pakistan. Thats Pakistani assumption, and I don't need to deny or agree to a Pakistani assumption.

As far as the nuke threat well Zia himself is said to had denied that claim BUT the international analysts and media says that after this visit india backed off . also a hint about Pakistan's possessing nukes too was made during that visit.

Who are these international analysts? Do you mind sharing some of the analysis done by these international analysts?

Yes I do. Operation Brasstracks was never meant to be a War against Pakistan. Thats Pakistani assumption, and I don't need to deny or agree to a Pakistani assumption.
Excuse me!!! I think there are people in the forum who were witness to the buildup.

Excuse me!!! I think there are people in the forum who were witness to the buildup.

Ugh, its like saying Operation Azm-e-Nau was meant to be an offensive against India! It was just a military exercise, on a very large scale.

Who are these international analysts? Do you mind sharing some of the analysis done by these international analysts?

Pakistani assumption ?? hmm ok here is something from Indian facts .

Brasstacks was no military exercise. It was a plan to built up a situation for a fourth war with Pakistan. And, what is even more shocking is that the Prime Minister, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, was not aware of these plans.

—Lieutenant General P.N. Hoon, Commander Western Command.

The use of force : military power and international politics (7th ed. ed.). Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. pp. 380–390. ISBN 978-0-7425-5669-0.

Ugh, its like saying Operation Azm-e-Nau was meant to be an offensive against India! It was just a military exercise, on a very large scale.

I repeat there are witnesses to the built and were part of the scenario

:lol: 1987 -cricket match
1988 Zia Killed
1991 Rajiv Gadhi Killed..

Do the math

look what we have here- another greedy indian that wants to take credit for some one else work- :lol:-

Pakistani assumption ?? hmm ok here is something from Indian facts .

Brasstacks was no military exercise. It was a plan to built up a situation for a fourth war with Pakistan. And, what is even more shocking is that the Prime Minister, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, was not aware of these plans.

—Lieutenant General P.N. Hoon, Commander Western Command.

The use of force : military power and international politics (7th ed. ed.). Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. pp. 380–390. ISBN 978-0-7425-5669-0.

That is more of an interpretation, by him, not precise situation.
A better description is in his interview:

You even maintain that General Sundarji and Arun Singh did not inform Rajiv Gandhi about Operation Brasstacks? What would they have gained by that?

Brasstacks was the mobilisation of the entire army of India. It was done with the background that every five years we should do this. So that commanders had time to lick their command into shape. Now, when such a large exercise is conceived, I pointed out at that time to Sundarji that the movement of our forces is going to attract the attention of Pakistan.

Militancy was at its height in the Punjab. According to this plan -- three-fourths of the army was going to be in the desert and I had told them that in view of the militancy in Punjab we may get into a situation where it could be war. And with a war-like situation, they (Pakistan) may react. Which they did. He said you don't worry about that and ask for whatever troops you want, so troops were moved from everywhere. Ammunition was moved. Pakistan also moved. I told him I hope the government has been informed about this, because such a large movement of troops had to be told.

Brasstacks was in 4 parts. Brasstack 1 was an exercise on the map, held in Delhi which Rajiv attended. Brasstack 2 was supposed to be for the military commanders in Chandigarh. This was on a sand model. Brasstack 3 was reduction of all three into writing. And Brasstack 4 was actually with troops in the desert, which would have got a reaction. It appears that Sundarji and Arun Singh did not inform the PM.

I went for the Army Day Parade to Delhi on January 15. I was there for the reception in Sundarji's house in the evening where the President, PM were there -- Rajiv had the habit of walking up and asking me: 'How is the western front?' I thought that was a very sharp question, especially when we were moving into a war situation. I said everything was going according to plan and all our troops are moving into their battle location. He asked me: 'What do you mean by battle location?' He was holding a samosa in his hand and said, 'How can we go to war?' I knew something had gone wrong.

I quickly took my aircraft and went back to the desert where my corps commanders were ready. Rajiv called the defence secretary and I understand he was very upset. Then I started getting calls from the DGMO General Ravi Mahajan that the chief wants you back.

When I went back Sundarji told me that he wanted me to change the configuration. The configuration of the exercise was east to west. He said to change it quickly from south to north. I said I could do it in 10, 12 days, and the forces were pulled back to Bikaner. Then all the MPs were brought to the desert. All military attaches were brought. But I think it was a war, and the PM was not informed.

Rediff On The NeT: The Rediff Interview/Lt General P N Hoon (retd)

That is more of an interpretation, by him, not precise situation.
A better description is in his interview:

Rediff On The NeT: The Rediff Interview/Lt General P N Hoon (retd)

He is repeating the same thing "It appears that Sundarji and Arun Singh did not inform the PM."

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...between-zia-rajiv-gandhi-6.html#ixzz2d4u7aGDr

So basically Indian Army was firing the shots and Rajiv Gandhi was sidelined for such a provocative mobilization of Indian Army.

Indian scholar Paul Kapur also talked about Indian Army's provocation during that exercise to attack Pakistan. uncalled for indeed

Not sure whether pakistan had nukes then, even if they did.. was it weaponized and what was the yield and how many in the arsenal...
this dialogue sounds more 2000 than 80s .. :)

btw ...zia did not have to fly to india to deliver the message... more likely the direct meeting decreased the tension and avoided conflict.

Not sure whether pakistan had nukes then, even if they did.. was it weaponized and what was the yield and how many in the arsenal...
this dialogue sounds more 2000 than 80s .. :)

:)))) Wasn't India not even sure that at what stage Pakistan's nuke capability was at that time ??
May be your brasstacks was to find it out by planning taking out our nukes :azn:

all failed on your part atleast accept this fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom