What's new

What do Chinese think of Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese 'recieved' Buddhism from Gandhara, Pakistan along the Silk route/Karakorum highway. That places Gandhara from Chinese perspective as vital to their history because it played the vital role in their conversion.
Two prominent monks traveled to Gandhara, Taxila(part of modern Pakistan) on their pilgrimage, Faxian in 402 A.D. and Xuanzang in 630 A.D., respectively. Apparently there were great influence received from Taxila back then.

you're already "returning the favour" with your support for radical islamic terrorists like masood azhar and hafiz saeed, wait till it bites you in the ***, because it will.
We should support Kashmir for their free will too.

Foreign policy is an area where the physical distances involved, abstract goals and indirect effects (sometime highly complicated and surrounded by legal traps) means that views of private citizens often do not correlate with their governments on attitude towards friendly and hostile nations. At another level hard power influences governments while soft power shapes people.

The US had a pretty bad equation with India in the Nixon and Ford eras. Nixon and Kissinger personally despised Indira Gandhi and they actually sent a carrier group as a show of force in 1971. The Nixon tapes show all manner of ways he considered undermining India. Yet immigration to the US was viewed as something to be desired and plenty of Indians, armed with technical degrees from the first IITs immigrated. Hollywood movies were immensely popular and anyone who was 'America-returned' saw his popularity rise a few notches. The USSR, despite its diplomatic support was a less popular destination and it's ideology and reputation for secrecy deterred travelers. AFAIK the only Indians who visited the USSR in those days were diplomats, students (especially hard engineering) and a few businessmen. At home people appreciated the USSR for its backing but it was not as alluring as the US was.

This is just one example. I can think of a few others - Cuba - US, Mexico-US and closer to home, India-Burma. I've travelled with groups of doc / post-doc students to the middle east and eastern europe and the few chinese present were extremely worried about violence from Islamic groups - it seemed to me they're not as desensitized to it as we in South Asia are. I suspect that's part of the reason you won't find too many Chinese visiting Pakistan. Another reason is soft power - or the lack of it in this case. Also the lack of meaningful trade (by volume, not percentage) means there's less dissipation of indirect information about the country. None of this, of course, matters when foreign policy has specific objectives but it also means that the tie is inorganic.

@Kaptaan

2008 Olympic open ceremony in Beijing, Pakistan team was the only foreign one that gets a standing ovation and applause from lots of Chinese audience. Most of net-citizens in China aware of Pakistan is a true friend and ally, and have a warm feeling towards her. Stories like Pakistan donated all of its tents to Wenchuan earthquake victims circulated on Internet widely.

That said, most common folks don't care much foreign politics/policy

That was a very popular story back in 2008.

That was a very popular story back in 2008.
Sorry to ask this sir.
Your avatar, is that a Pakistani carrier of heavy satellites? made me curious

Foreign policy is an area where the physical distances involved,
Well constructed post, but I think Pakistan can adopt policy measures to address the issue. The wise do not let circumstances control them; they adapt the circumstances to their advantage. With the China/Pak strategic equation based on solid geopolitics Pakistan has a opportunity placed on a plate. All Pakistan has to do is grab it.

If I could influence the powers that be I would begin first to set up a agency tasked to deliver a cross spectrum relationship with China by leveraging our geopolitical relationship. The agency would plan over 10 years as follows.

1. Recruit and hire at least 10,000 goodwill ambassadors from Northern Areas and KPK. I know this might sound racist but we can't change the world. You got to play with what you have. All the goodwill ambassadors would be chosen on basis of looking most 'European'. I already know European looking Pakistani's have it easier in China. They then would be sent to China to learn Mandarin and Chinese culture. The candidates, male and female must display very friendly demeanours. After learning Mandarin they would be selected on basis of their skills to either work in major Chinese cities to sell Pakistan as a tourist destination.

2. The other group would be bought back and posted as tourist officials at hotels and tourist sites across Gandhara region. Investment in new hotels and facelties ahgain staffed by this group.

3. Some of the agency staff attached to every Chinese company in Pakistan as laison officers to smoothen the day to day operations of the companies and making sure tat the employees of the Chinese companies have nice time and go back with a positive image of the country.

4. As the number of tourists increase and Chinese footprint increases increase the numbers of te agency to 20,000 again all are sent to China for 3 year learning Mandarin and Chinese culture.

5. Have large numbers of these recruits from this agency working in high profile locations in China in particular with media, trade fairs all working to gave Pak positive publicutry and sell 'Gandhara'.

I think this would help to begin building a more deeper relationship and building 'soft power; in China. Pakistan has alreaded fvcked up any chance of that in the West but it has a chance with China. It should go for it with proper policy in place.

For Chinese think Pakistan - must not mean this

mulla_o_945940.jpg

Think Pakistan - must mean this

55d83fb26ac8b.jpg

Last edited:
Well constructed post, but I think Pakistan can adopt policy measures to address the issue. The wise do not let circumstances control them; they adapt the circumstances to their advantage. With the China/Pak strategic equation based on solid geopolitics Pakistan has a opportunity placed on a plate. All Pakistan has to do is grab it.

If I could influence the powers that be I would begin first to set up a agency tasked to deliver a cross spectrum relationship with China by leveraging our geopolitical relationship. The agency would plan over 10 years as follows.

1. Recruit and hire at least 10,000 goodwill ambassadors from Northern Areas and KPK. I know this might sound racist but we can't change the world. You got to play with what you have. All the goodwill ambassadors would be chosen on basis of looking most 'European'. I already know European looking Pakistani's have it easier in China. They then would be sent to China to learn Mandarin and Chinese culture. The candidates, male and female must display very friendly demeanours. After learning Mandarin they would be selected on basis of their skills to either work in major Chinese cities to sell Pakistan as a tourist destination.

2. The other group would be bought back and posted as tourist officials at hotels and tourist sites across Gandhara region. Investment in new hotels and facelties ahgain staffed by this group.

3. Some of the agency staff attached to every Chinese company in Pakistan as laison officers to smoothen the day to day operations of the companies and making sure tat the employees of the Chinese companies have nice time and go back with a positive image of the country.

4. As the number of tourists increase and Chinese footprint increases increase the numbers of te agency to 20,000 again all are sent to China for 3 year learning Mandarin and Chinese culture.

I think this would help to begin building a more deeper relationship and building 'soft power; in China. Pakistan has alreaded fvcked up any chance of that in the West but it has a chance with China. It should go for it with proper policy in place.

Hope one day we can live in a world, where people are not judged on their looks, height, weight (and skin colour for South Asians)

Plus most western tourists come to India, to experience new culture and people, so it contradicts your argument

Hope one day we can live in a world, where people are not judged on their looks, height, weight (and skin colour for South Asians)
I am not talking about South Asia. I am talking about China and attracting Chinese in millions to the fantastic heritage we have. We lost it with the West but we have a new market, bigger and soon to be even more prosperous then Western market. If Pakistan can even tap 10% of this we will see a roaring industry emerging in Pakistan.

I am not being racist or colourist. Just be realist. Marketing companies across the world use attractive looking models to sell or market their brands. You tell me in India what does your Bollywood do? Pull some prime samples from the Adivasi stock (below) and use them as A- list actor/ss

thumb.php

adivasi_women_at_police_festival.png

You know and I know Bollywood uses a type of person who is rare in India. They don't even represent 5% of real India. Most of the leading Khans are from Peshawar and so is the Kapoors etc The result is Bollywood has created a fantastic fantasy because most people don't go to India and see what really is on the ground. This is all about marketing. The day a Indian company uses a Adivasi as model for marketing let me know. Until then we live in the real world.

Pakistan has unlike India huge numbers of people that can once trained, taught and motivated sell Pakistan in China. With the heritage Pakistan has it would earn more then it does from cotton industry if this was done properly. In addition it would create a positive image inside China that would then spur even more Chinese investment and trade.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. I have a Pakistani friend who was brought up in Hong Kong and worked in many places in China and he moved to UK post 2000. I get lot of insights from him. Although they took him as a European because of his fair complexion.

My point is that US based "Pew Research" is totally unrelable.
Expirience of your friend is much much more valuable than US based "Pee Research" "survey" or whatever those CIA trolls conducted.

And if your Polish you must be the most confused Pole as every Pole I met loves USA.

And if you're Pakistani you must be the most confused Pakistani as no Pakistani I met loves certain self proclamed "indispensable" and "exeptional" country build on graves of Native Americans. Country that since the end of World War II butchered more than 20 milion people (20*10^6) including 4 milion Muslims (4*10^6): source, source

And I am gonna take a break from this thread. Nobody please take me as a China hater. I have huge expectations of CPEC and the Sino-Pak strategic partneship but I am being prudent. Paks have a habit of running away and dancing like those scenes you get in Bollywood movies the moment they hear 'Chin' mentioned. They did that once with America (my dads tells me back in 1960s US was love of our lives) then Arabs took over in 1970s and that continues although there are signs not of iminent divorce but certainly 'rocky' phase and of course the all weather all fair Chini/Pak brotherhood.

Pakistan needs to make sure she does not sell herself too short and that she extracts maximum out of that relationship. Don't please sell short ....

I like this kind of attitude. :tup:
"There is always room for improvement and a better future." - Shigeru Nakamura

Some of the movies I've found using yandex search engine:

According to US trolls from "Pee Research" 52 % of Chinese hold unfavorable view of Pakistan. Oh really??? "Pee Research" forget to add that Saddam had WMD and USS Maine was destroyed by Spain :sarcastic:
I want to vomit whenever I hear about "Pew Research" or others CIA propaganda bullhorns :bad:

IMO friendship between Pakistan and China is a great treasure. Satan's modus operandi is divide and conquer. Don't let Satan destroy this friendship.
:pakistan::china:

My point is that US based "Pew Research" is totally unrelable.
I agree, Pew is not be end of all but I used it as illustrative of rather than the final nail in the coffin incontrovertible evidence.

And if you're Pakistani you must be the most confused Pakistani as no Pakistani
I am of Pakistani orgin in UK.

loves certain self proclamed "indispensable" and "exeptional" country build on graves of Native Americans. Country that since the end of World War II butchered more than 20 milion people (20*10^6) including 4 milion Muslims
Where do you get the idea I love USA. I have opened threads on the genocide of Native Americans and how that country was built on genocide/slavery.

I like this kind of attitude
Good.

And are you Polish. I clarified my heritage. Just curious.

Why do we care how we are looked at? This "image" thing is changeable like you said with lobbies or people-to-people contact. If Chinese are willing to deal with us on mutual interests, that's good enough. I think the "image" will change as there is more economic cooperation and more people-to-people contact. We already deal with West, most of whom consider us as savages and backward and abuse our religion. I really sense fear from West-loving Pakistanis on growing Pak-China relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom