What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

wow, those turns he takes !!

the refrain "ali maula" i recall being used in a song composed by salim merchant and sulaiman merchant and i heard it during "indian idol junior - 2015".

but the dhol itself i am not much a fan of when used by itself - too noisy for me. :)

1. but when used as a background instrument it works quite well, like in the below famous song "chapa chapa charkha chale" from the film "maachis" :

Chapa Chapa Charkha Chale - Hariharan & Suresh Wadkar - Vishal Bhardwaj Songs - YouTube

i must admit to not understanding some of the punjabi lyrics. :D

2. and in the youtube playlist for the above song was this great song - "ramta jogi" from the film "taal" :

Ramta Jogi - Taal - Best of A.R. Rehman - Sukhwinder Singh & Alka Yagnik's Best Duet - YouTube

when the song's singer, sukhwinder singh, was a guest on "indian idol junior - 2015" he had explained the background of the song that i vaguely remember - a punjabi folk tale about a unrequited love story, i think.

3. and in the yt playlist was a song from the film "dil se", and one of my favorite songs is from that film - "satrangi re" :

Satrangi Re - Dil Se (1998) Sonu Nigam [HD] - YouTube

the song is full of derveshi energy and shahrukh and manisha are brilliant in it... the song goes on and on.

---

@Levina @Zibago @django @BDforever @Ammara Chaudhry

@IrbiS

@Mr.Meap ( songs 2 and 3 are anything but slow, especially 3 )

the below famous song "chapa chapa charkha chale" from the film "maachis

Dhool gives the drum beats and such songs or I should say Sufi music without drum beat is not as worth listening. Have you listened to qawali of NFAK, that drum beat literally takes me into another world.

and in the youtube playlist for the above song was this great song - "ramta jogi" from the film "taal" :

These two songs are absolutely amazing. The lyrics, composition, vocal quality just amazing.

@jamahir check this one out.

@Ammara Chaudhry

Compare the two video not the song since this song is very famous originally sung by Nancy Sintara and Lee hazelwood in 1967, many sung after but this Pakistan lady totally copy 2nd video I posted, check the dress male of male and female singer and her arm beginning of the video.....cheap copy cat

@Syed.Ali.Haider

Last edited:
@Ammara Chaudhry

Compare the two video not the song since this song is very famous originally sung by Nancy Sintara and Lee hazelwood in 1967, many sung after but this Pakistan lady totally copy 2nd video I posted, check the dress male of male and female singer and her arm beginning of the video.....cheap copy cat

@Syed.Ali.Haider

She is Aiyma Baig and I already don't like this lady just because of her copying Hollywood female singers. I don't listen to English music, but have seen many girls singing and yes her body launaguge shows that she is trying to copy someone from Hollywood. This compeletely looks weird on her. Interestingly, she is cohost of 'Mazaaq Raat' since last few months.

She is Aiyma Baig and I already don't like this lady just because of her copying Hollywood female singers. I don't listen to English music, but have seen many girls singing and yes her body launaguge shows that she is trying to copy someone from Hollywood. This compeletely looks weird on her. Interestingly, she is cohost of 'Mazaaq Raat' since last few months.
I tagged u becuase u posted that video before.

Summer vine song have many versions check thsi
The original

@Ammara Chaudhry

@Syed.Ali.Haider

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. No problem here that I can see, :D

Dhool gives the drum beats and such songs or I should say Sufi music without drum beat is not as worth listening. Have you listened to qawali of NFAK, that drum beat literally takes me into another world.

that is true... i suppose drum beats are common to all sufi musics, whether in the subcontinent or in africa or in turkey or elsewhere... i think it helps build and retain the zikr/trance whether in public performance or a more intimate gathering.

These two songs are absolutely amazing. The lyrics, composition, vocal quality just amazing.

the singers are good and it occurred to me that the music composer common to both is a.r.rehman... such a maestro.

@jamahir check this one out.

such energy sustained for so long... admirable.

sadly, i have never sat in such a live performance.

though god is not prominent for me, sitting in performance of these musics will certainly disconnect us from our immediate concerns and connect us with nature, if that is the word.

I have to disagree with you @Ammara Chaudhry she has a very sweet voice and dare i say look. If one was not looking at the singer you would assume it is a mid western US female country singer.

that is true... i suppose drum beats are common to all sufi musics, whether in the subcontinent or in africa or in turkey or elsewhere... i think it helps build and retain the zikr/trance whether in public performance or a more intimate gathering.

Yes it accompanies all the other instruments in order to make it sound Sufi music. Lyrics is not the only vital part of this genre, but the all the instruments are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom