What's new

We’re engaging India full thrust: Putin

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Russia has closer defence ties with India than with any other country, including China, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said.

“As far as joint [defence] projects are concerned, we have advanced farther with India than with any other country, including China,” Mr. Putin said, citing the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile, the Akula class nuclear submarine leased to India, the multi-role transport aircraft and the fifth-generation fighter plane.

“The nuclear submarine should have set sail to India the other day. We are very actively working with them [Indians] on the transport plane. They have joined us full swing in the work for the Perspective Aviation Complex for Frontline Aviation (PAK-FA), T-50,” Mr. Putin said at a meeting with Russian security and defence experts on Friday at the Sarov nuclear centre.

Mr. Putin dealt at length on progress in building the fifth-generation plane.

“It is now clear that we will have the fifth-generation aircraft. Two, or even three, planes are already up in the air, and more planes will join them this year. Technological problems have all been solved; it is quite obvious that we’ll make the aircraft and make it quite fast. We needed a partner to bring down the final cost of the plane; they [Indians] will buy it in large numbers. The T-50 is shaping to be superior to the American fifth-generation plane.”

Mr. Putin was responding to a suggestion from a defence analyst to “engage actively” with India, China, Iran and other countries, and to pursue issue-specific alliances to uphold Russia’s security interests. “We’re engaging India full thrust, we’re in fact doing it all as you say,” replied Mr. Putin, who is almost certain to reclaim Russian presidency in the March 4 elections.

I think it was already posted earlier.

India Russia Friendship :tup:

photoxpress_india_russia_468.jpg

20111208-India-Russia-CoOperation-Fr%25255B5%25255D.jpg

india-russia-flag.jpg

well we do have a relationship which dates back 50 yrs . i would be surprised if he had said differently :)

I think Vladmir Putin especially very much dislikes (perhaps even Hate west) because they have been trying for the past trying to make him seem undemocratic and a dictator ruler. I believe as long As India cold shoulders the West, Russia may show India further Strategic developments and relations such as joining the SCO etc but if India continues to be friends with US then we can keep watching and see further developments.

I think Vladmir Putin especially very much dislikes (perhaps even Hate west) because they have been trying for the past trying to make him seem undemocratic and a dictator ruler. I believe as long As India cold shoulders the West, Russia may show India further Strategic developments and relations such as joining the SCO etc but if India continues to be friends with US then we can keep watching and see further developments.

Maybe, maybe not........India does what is good for India....Russia after all did help China extensively all these yrs which in turn helps Pakistan right? So, India is not wooried as much you are...

Maybe, maybe not........India does what is good for India....Russia after all did help China extensively all these yrs which in turn helps Pakistan right? So, India is not wooried as much you are...

I think deep down India is quite worried. They are one stage trying to play the US but on the other hand trying to be buddy buddy with Russia and Iran. Its a very dangerous game in the end for anyone to play against two former/current superpowers.

I think deep down India is quite worried. They are one stage trying to play the US but on the other hand trying to be buddy buddy with Russia and Iran. Its a very dangerous game in the end for anyone to play against two former/current superpowers.

It's called diplomacy , and not putting all eggs in one basket ....

Good luck with that hope it doesn't backfire some day.

It will surely back fire if we are upto some cynical activity which IMHO we are not...Our aspirations and desires are like open book...we want to be a regional power and predominant power in Indian ocean which is not perturbing the big guys...The idea is simple...Relationships are not zero sum game...Relations with Russia are not at the cost of US and vice-versa...I believe as long as the message is clear we should be fine...but then future can't be predicted....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom