What's new

Wat will replace the A-5's??

AN EXCELLENT QUESTION:
I will prepare an answer. I don't want to give you a one liner answer.

It would be appreciated!
i am aware of the 'entire' capabilities of all the fighters that i have mentioned-read alot about them, so i don't need a comparision, but my worry concerns about the fact that we have sticked ourselves to Lockheed etc etc, why dont we explore the others!?

4 sq of JH-7A bomber from China should be enough for next 15 Years. with total load of around 6 thousand lbs weapons. along with western avionics and attack radars it can be use solely for battle ground strikes. believe me it will do some major damage !!!

see the problem is firstly pakistan has limited resources and buying fighters already compromises our expenditure on things such as transport aircraft and so on....so our best option is multi role aircraft....now the question is can JF-17 in time increase the payload it can carry the answer is yes it has room for improvements....if we can make it carry more payload we can make a version that is exclusively a ground strike fighter....but buying new aircraft has 2 negative aspects firstly logistical support issues and secondly cost issues. and besides we are a defensive force and defensive airforces don't plan on doing carpet bombing there enemies...we plan on making our enemies bleed and hit them where it hurts....so for that multirole capabilties is the best!!! i hope people agree with me

While its hard to reply that what "will" replace A-5, its possible to discuss what "should" replace A-5.

First see what was the role of A-5 and to which extent it was fit in its role.
The role of A-5 was deemed to be Close Air Support and Battlefield Interdiction. What is normally required for such a role?

1-----Having Guns

2-----Various Rocket Pods

3-----Ability to carry various bomb loads (including cluster)

4-----Precision guided munitions like LGBs

5-----Ability to carry guided Air to Ground missiles

6-----Acceptable Endurance (at least 3 hours flight time)

7-----Night attack capability

8-----As other combat aircrafts, self-defence

Now A-5 is lacking on points 4,5 and 7. Any aircraft that shall replace A-5 should not lack on these three points. Now keeping in view the requirements, we can proceed for the next candidate on this role.

While its hard to reply that what "will" replace A-5, its possible to discuss what "should" replace A-5.

The role of A-5 was deemed to be Close Air Support and Battlefield Interdiction. What is normally required for such a role?

1-----Having Guns

Now A-5 is lacking on points 4,5 and 7. Any aircraft that shall replace A-5 should not lack on these three points. Now keeping in view the requirements, we can proceed for the next candidate on this role.

J-11b?:cheers::enjoy:

see the problem is firstly pakistan has limited resources and buying fighters already compromises our expenditure on things such as transport aircraft and so on....so our best option is multi role aircraft....now the question is can JF-17 in time increase the payload it can carry the answer is yes it has room for improvements....if we can make it carry more payload we can make a version that is exclusively a ground strike fighter....but buying new aircraft has 2 negative aspects firstly logistical support issues and secondly cost issues. and besides we are a defensive force and defensive airforces don't plan on doing carpet bombing there enemies...we plan on making our enemies bleed and hit them where it hurts....so for that multirole capabilties is the best!!! i hope people agree with me

Zob you're forgetting that the role of the Pakistani army, navy and airforce in general is not defensive anymore, it is more offensive and defensive at the same time, we strike before the enemy actually does.
The PAF doctrine is changing, according to what I seem to understand from our seniors on the board and other people with alot of knowledge about our armed forces.

Zob you're forgetting that the role of the Pakistani army, navy and airforce in general is not defensive anymore, it is more offensive and defensive at the same time, we strike before the enemy actually does.
The PAF doctrine is changing, according to what I seem to understand from our seniors on the board and other people with alot of knowledge about our armed forces.

Yes will have agressive doctrine also, Zarb-e-Momin, its Pak army agressive force, whose objective is to launch strikes on enemy rather then waiting for enemy to attack!!

And i think as Pak's army have accurate and range of missile co actually we dont need to invest on bomber aircraft!! We dont have enough money to buy them, 1st we woulf have to buy true 4.5gen fighters and interceptors, then for sure we will buy bombers for sure if needed!!

1-----Having Guns

I would argue that A-5 is lacking in all the above areas except number 1 compared to modern fighters like JF-17. A-5's payload is only 2 tonnes (JF's is almost 4 tonnes), so 2 and 3 are out because A-5 can't carry as much weight as JF. Range is poor (JF's ferry range is about 30% higher than that of A-5) so 6 is out, 8 is certainly out.

I read somewhere that PAF was seriously considering retiring the A-5 in 1999. It is interesting that they didn't retire F-6, the fighter that A-5 is based on, until 2002.

Also, I don't see how J-11B is good for replacing A-5 when Pakistan has JF-17 that they can produce themselves. The whole point of JF-17 is to replace A-5 (as well as F-7, Mirage). J-11B is much too expensive to replace A-5. Close air support/battlefield interdiction fighters like A-5 must be easy to fix, cheap to replace and low on maintenance time required. J-11B is none of these things, JF-17 is.
One of the senior members posted in another thread that JF-17's primary role seems to be ground attack while J-10 and F-16 are primarily for air defense, I'm starting to think he is right.

PAF used B-57s to drop hundreds of tonnes of bombs in 65 as well as fighters to make pre-emptive airstrikes against Indian airbases in 71.

Last edited:

You are absolutely right on this!
We are no more defence.

we have gone offensive and are now capable of taking on an offensive maneuver at the time and place of own choosing!!

We do retain the capability of a Preemptive or Riposte...but what actually would be done would be decided by time!

does jf 17 varient design is been changed and engines which i dont think so and J 11 will be good interceptor not an a ground attacker why not buy Q5 from china

Its funny how people (and surprisingly even the senior members) are mentioning J-11 and J-11B so much. I think its pretty obvious we aren't getting those planes because they are partly Russian. I read the current J-11b has 30% russian parts.

It might be a good plane but honestly i don't see it coming anytime soon. As I said, I believe a ground attack variant of JF-17 would be coming soon as discussed by few on SDF.

Its funny how people (and surprisingly even the senior members) are mentioning J-11 and J-11B so much. I think its pretty obvious we aren't getting those planes because they are partly Russian. I read the current J-11b has 30% russian parts.

It might be a good plane but honestly i don't see it coming anytime soon. As I said, I believe a ground attack variant of JF-17 would be coming soon as discussed by few on SDF.

mean_bird; sir
what do you know about J-11b , dear?:azn:
people did disscuss JF-17, but its also more funny how people keep mentioning JF-17, for everything!:lol::tsk:

We should NOT spend more money to get aircrafts like the J-11 (even if somehow we could resolve all the Russian issues). Are you people now seeing the economic situation of the country? I understand the need for defence just as much as everyone else here, but spending so much money to purchase aircrafts that we don't even really need is just ridiculous. We are not the United States or India, we cannot solve every problem by throwing money at it. Our engineers are ingenuitive (evidence: Mirage upgrades), they'll figure out a way to replace the A-5s.

We should NOT spend more money to get aircrafts like the J-11 (even if somehow we could resolve all the Russian issues). Are you people now seeing the economic situation of the country? I understand the need for defence just as much as everyone else here, but spending so much money to purchase aircrafts that we don't even really need is just ridiculous. We are not the United States or India, we cannot solve every problem by throwing money at it. Our engineers are ingenuitive (evidence: Mirage upgrades), they'll figure out a way to replace the A-5s.

PAFAce; SIR
Our engineers will be going to be replaced by A-5s, in the air?
do you mean that? Our engineers = A-5s?:lol::tsk:

when did we had the best economic situation in last 60 years?
so just because of bad economy , we should surrender, our selves to india or usa?:angry:

Back
Top Bottom