What's new

Walton to export refrigerators, ACs to India

Walton is OEM for Hyundai. I don't think it makes as much per refrigerator to buy a Hilsa fish.
they don't understand what is OEM.... let it be.... let them live in fantasy world....

Walton is OEM for Hyundai. I don't think it makes as much per refrigerator to buy a Hilsa fish.
In that case Hyudai will throw the Hilsa.
But Reliance will sell Walton as a brand.... and next is Amazon .. in that case a lamb can be thrown along with hilsa.

oh really... 40-50% :welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

The Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FBCCI) president Sheikh Fazle Fahim on Monday said bilateral trade between Bangladesh & India was $9.5 billion in FY2017-18 with exports to India pegged at $0.87 billion and imports, at $8.6 billion.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/economy/2019/07/10/bangladesh-exports-to-india-cross-1bn-mark

upload_2019-9-1_14-14-7.png

Dude, you need to keep up to date - BD exports to India will surge for many more years till it becomes as big as the large EU countries like Germany, UK etc.

BD has told India - you take our exports or we stop buying from you. Simply millions of Indian jobs would have been lost if India did not comply.

@Nilgiri

Last edited:
https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/economy/2019/07/10/bangladesh-exports-to-india-cross-1bn-mark

View attachment 576917

Dude, you need to keep up to date - BD exports to India will surge for many more years till it becomes as big as the large EU countries like Germany, UK etc.

BD has told India - you take our exports or we stop buying from you. Simply millions of Indian jobs would have been lost if India did not comply.

@Nilgiri

from very same source of yours...
According to Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) data, Bangladesh's exports to India stood at $1.25 billion, up by 42.91%, which was $873.27 million in the previous fiscal.

Of the total amount, apparel sector earned $499.09 million in 2018-19 fiscal, which is 79.09% higher compared to $278.67 million in the previous year while knitwear products accounted for $369.43 million and woven items $129.66 million.

Among other major products, Bangladesh exported to India vegetable textile fibre and paper yarn worth $141.84 million and animal and vegetable fat worth $158.57 million. It also earned $84.60 million and $33 million by exporting jute and jute goods and leather and leather goods respectively.

verify the import data as well... these are due to mutual agreement to lower trade gap... not because some hitech ( crappy products) made in BD....

In 2017-18, exports to India increased by 30%, whereas imports from India increased by 40%. The trade deficit is $7.75 billion, which is 42% higher than the previous year. This trade deficit between Bangladesh and India, historically tilted towards the latter, has been an issue of discontent between India-Bangladesh bilateral trade.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/opinion/op-ed/2018/11/05/economic-trends-in-indo-bangla-relations-2

Are you comparing BD to Industrial giant like Germany.... that's amazing ......

Last edited:
from very same source of yours...
According to Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) data, Bangladesh's exports to India stood at $1.25 billion, up by 42.91%, which was $873.27 million in the previous fiscal.

Of the total amount, apparel sector earned $499.09 million in 2018-19 fiscal, which is 79.09% higher compared to $278.67 million in the previous year while knitwear products accounted for $369.43 million and woven items $129.66 million.

Among other major products, Bangladesh exported to India vegetable textile fibre and paper yarn worth $141.84 million and animal and vegetable fat worth $158.57 million. It also earned $84.60 million and $33 million by exporting jute and jute goods and leather and leather goods respectively.

verify the import data as well... these are due to mutual agreement to lower trade gap... not because some hitech ( crappy products) made in BD....

In 2017-18, exports to India increased by 30%, whereas imports from India increased by 40%. The trade deficit is $7.75 billion, which is 42% higher than the previous year. This trade deficit between Bangladesh and India, historically tilted towards the latter, has been an issue of discontent between India-Bangladesh bilateral trade.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/opinion/op-ed/2018/11/05/economic-trends-in-indo-bangla-relations-2

Are you comparing BD to Industrial giant like Germany.... that's amazing ......

You agree with me that India is being forced to take in BD imports to balance the trade.

Remember BD as by far the larger importer holds all the cards. If BD were to sanction India it would be very painful for you, while BD can replace with slightly higher prices from elsewhere.

Understand that you earn a major chunk of your living by exporting to BD.

PS - Do not worry about BD tech exports as a German OEM will import 100,000 Walton TV sets as a start. Pharma exports are also booming. You just had 24 year head-start over BD which is being eroded rapidly - you grow 5% now while BD is at over 8%.

You agree with me that India is being forced to take in BD imports to balance the trade.

Remember BD as by far the larger importer holds all the cards. If BD were to sanction India it would be very painful for you, while BD can replace with slightly higher prices from elsewhere.

Understand that you earn a major chunk of your living by exporting to BD.

PS - Do not worry about BD tech exports as a German OEM will import 100,000 Walton TV sets as a start. Pharma exports are also booming. You just had 24 year head-start over BD which is being eroded rapidly - you grow 5% now while BD is at over 8%.

BD sanctioning India... are you guys for real... why you guys live in la la dreamland... you guys just have one small company called walton... it is very puny, 3rd rated company...

BD sanctioning India... are you guys for real... why you guys live in la la dreamland... you guys just have one small company called walton... it is very puny, 3rd rated company...
The world is a buyer's Paradise. We may or may not accept Indian selling in our market unless India reciprocates with buying our world-famous brands. We can buy the same products from other sources. We are favoring India you have to understand it. Note that we have already diversified our sources for cotton. We will buy a lesser quantity if necessary for our national interest.

The world is a buyer's Paradise. We may or may not accept Indian selling in our market unless India reciprocates with buying our world-famous brands. We can buy the same products from other sources. We are favoring India you have to understand it. Note that we have already diversified our sources for cotton. We will buy a lesser quantity if necessary for our national interest.

There is nothing much BD can do... lolz... buyers paradise ? Get back to reality...

View attachment 576917

@Nilgiri

It's just low base effect. I mean with the huge deficit over time BD has run with india (even just sticking to goods alone, forget service trade)...there has to be some pent up reverse force from the weakening effect this has on BD liquidity pressure.

I mean just look at comtrade:

IMP-EXP.jpg

Thats like average of 9% growth for India-->BD on a base 10+ times higher. This basically resulted in last 4 year period seeing an absolute increase of 2.5 billion USD for India ----> BD compared to increase of 370 million in other direction....i.e the absolute difference increased 2.2 billion in India's favour (of already huge disparity in trade).

So you can quote whatever low base effect you want to (and you can see wild negative swings in opposite direction in certain years for BD due to same low base effect), doesn't really matter given the longer term trend and magnitude of disparity.

Heck you can go to earlier years and see as far back as 2006...India was exporting roughly same disparity it imported ratio wise (8 - 10 times) w.r.t BD:

imp-exp2.jpg

But the actual surplus was just 1.4 billion back then given the levels.....now its nearly 8 billion USD. Add services (huge one way direction of tourism, medical services etc)...even more billions get added to India's favour.

This all illustrates what a low base effect is and why its dumb to quote a country suffering from that (and also terrible export diversity) in just one year.

You are just an non-competitive country, period. To do anything structurally to change that, you not only need to attract far more FDI than you do, you also need to invest outside your country at far greater rate than you do.

The fact Vietnam in most recent year invested 600 million outside its borders, whereas Bangladesh TOTAL investment stock (i.e over all years) is just 300 million (and lately decreased from previous year) and in the most recent year just scrounges up 23 million to invest outside....shows you guys are really behind where it matters in structurally changing anything.

https://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2019/wir19_fs_vn_en.pdf

https://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2019/wir19_fs_bd_en.pdf

So forget about comparing with countries like India and Indonesia that have magnitudes more in these actual structural levers and volumes that matter.

Thus you have reality like 1000 USD exports of refrigerators to indonesia (and 150k to world at large) to celebrate and it simply not going to change much at all. But I guess you can make some repetitive farticle each month on cue as you want to....to add to growing list from years past of naming some "pick from a hat" countries/destinations but never the realised amounts you actually achieved in the end.

@Marine Rouge

Last edited:

So BD should sell in India but will impose duties when India wants to sell in BD?

We should have an FTA and should see who sells how much :D

It's just low base effect. I mean with the huge deficit over time BD has run with india (even just sticking to goods alone, forget service trade)...there has to be some pent up reverse force from the weakening effect this has on BD liquidity pressure.

I mean just look at comtrade:

View attachment 577013

Thats like average of 9% growth for India-->BD on a base 10+ times higher. This basically resulted in last 4 year period seeing an absolute increase of 2.5 billion USD for India ----> BD compared to increase of 370 million in other direction....i.e the absolute difference increased 2.2 billion in India's favour (of already huge disparity in trade).

So you can quote whatever low base effect you want to (and you can see wild negative swings in opposite direction in certain years for BD due to same low base effect), doesn't really matter given the longer term trend and magnitude of disparity.

Heck you can go to earlier years and see as far back as 2006...India was exporting roughly same disparity it imported ratio wise (8 - 10 times) w.r.t BD:

View attachment 577014

But the actual surplus was just 1.4 billion back then given the levels.....now its nearly 8 billion USD. Add services (huge one way direction of tourism, medical services etc)...even more billions get added to India's favour.

This all illustrates what a low base effect is and why its dumb to quote a country suffering from that (and also terrible export diversity) in just one year.

You are just an non-competitive country, period. To do anything structurally to change that, you not only need to attract far more FDI than you do, you also need to invest outside your country at far greater rate than you do.

The fact Vietnam in most recent year invested 600 million outside its borders, whereas Bangladesh TOTAL investment stock (i.e over all years) is just 300 million (and lately decreased from previous year) and in the most recent year just scrounges up 23 million to invest outside....shows you guys are really behind where it matters in structurally changing anything.

https://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2019/wir19_fs_vn_en.pdf

https://unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/wir2019/wir19_fs_bd_en.pdf

So forget about comparing with countries like India and Indonesia that have magnitudes more in these actual structural levers and volumes that matter.

Thus you have reality like 1000 USD exports of refrigerators to indonesia (and 150k to world at large) to celebrate and it simply not going to change much at all. But I guess you can make some repetitive farticle each month on cue as you want to....to add to growing list from years past of naming some "pick from a hat" countries/destinations but never the realised amounts you actually achieved in the end.

@Marine Rouge

may be you didn't notice, that they are comparing themselves to Germany and UK... pretty ironic statement...

Graduation to Developing Country: Bangladesh to lose $7b in exports a year
Bangladesh stands to lose $7 billion in export earnings every year once it graduates into the developing country bracket in 2027 as the trade benefits it currently enjoys will be phased out then, a Planning Commission report says.

As a least-developed country, Bangladesh currently enjoys zero-duty benefits on its shipments to the European Union, Canada, Australia and many other countries.

But those benefits will be lifted upon LDC graduation and replaced with tariffs, a development that would erode the price competitiveness of Bangladesh’s products in the global market.

By 2031 the amount would balloon to $13 billion, found a government impact assessment on LDC graduation by the General Economics Division [GED] of the Planning Commission.

https://www.thedailystar.net/backpa...angladesh-lose-7-billion-exports-year-1794088

Trade is a two way street i won't mind buying Made in Bangladesh goods if Bangladesh is ready to open its own market for us and till the trade of finished products are balanced...

Ready to open?? Legal Balance of trade has been in favor of India in the tune of US$ 7-8 Billion for the last couple of decades. And that is just legal. Illegal trade is almost as much in India's favor if not more.

iu

Good luck to that as these exporters will need it. India customs will probably take apart all the appliances part by part to inspect it, and when they fail to put it together they will claim these are substandard products !!

Actually inspection at point of origin is provided by companies like SGS before container locks are sealed. But yeah I get your joke. :-)

Just checked the most expensive 1.5ton Walton split AC on their website, WSI Riverine 18C, which is 67000 Taka i.e ₹57000. Besides being a smart ac which can be controlled by your smartphone, it has nothing over my 5star samsung inverter AC which i bought for ₹40000. Also has EER of 4.64 whereas Walton stands at 3.5. Why will i spend ₹17000 extra for that overpriced AC?
Also I noticed that walton doesn't give rating such as 3,4, and 5 star. Whats up with that?

Local and export pricing is not the same...

Not just rating, EER of Samsung is much better than Walton's top of line AC and this Samsung is by far not the best of the bunch.
Yes, Indian consumer looks at rating.
Moreover, reason why Samsung ACs are cheap is because they are mfg in India. Only the premium wind free range is imported which used to be mfg locally but after recent changes in import duty it became cheaper for Samsung to import manufactured units from their factory in Vietnam as we have an FTA.

Walton publishes actual specs and are not used to rating-fakery like India brands are. If you cannot yourself do honest side-by-side comparisons on electrical consumption, efficiency rating like EER and other qualifiers, then just going by published ratings is bunk. Anybody can claim anything, proof is in the actual testing.

walton what???? lolz first look at that company profile before you even compare... it is very tiny company ....:rofl::cheers::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheers:... i like such kind of jokes made my day... walton is good joke of the day.... stands no chance in India... we don't prefer low energy efficient products..

Walton makes refrigerators, TV's and cellphones from scratch (component level and compressors built in-house). I don't believe that fits the definition of 'very tiny company'.

However it is clear that you have gone into troll mode.

Guys we should stop trolling Indians. I believe we have showed them already in deed (not words) what we can achieve as a country, though born with a 25 year-later head-start, and from scratch, being looted clean.

Grāhaka Deva-bhaba (customer is king)....

Walton publishes actual specs and are not used to rating-fakery like India brands are. If you cannot yourself do honest side-by-side comparisons on electrical consumption, efficiency rating like EER and other qualifiers, then just going by published ratings is bunk. Anybody can claim anything, proof is in the actual testing.
I literally said EER of Samsung unit in my house is better than Walton's top of line AC. Which part of it did you not understand.
And BTW, we have internal checks where manufacturers can't just lie and get away with it. Don't know how it works in Bangladesh.

Ready to open?? Legal Balance of trade has been in favor of India in the tune of US$ 7-8 Billion for the last couple of decades. And that is just legal. Illegal trade is almost as much in India's favor if not more.

iu

Actually inspection at point of origin is provided by companies like SGS before container locks are sealed. But yeah I get your joke. :-)

Local and export pricing is not the same...

Walton makes refrigerators, TV's and cellphones from scratch (component level and compressors built in-house). I don't believe that fits the definition of 'very tiny company'.

However it is clear that you have gone into troll mode.

Guys we should stop trolling Indians. I believe we have showed them already in deed (not words) what we can achieve as a country, though born with a 25 year-later head-start, and from scratch, being looted clean.

Grāhaka Deva-bhaba (customer is king)....

you posted LED bulbs video ??? as well... lolz... trolling us, that is just looney toon thing.... EER rating comes after multiple quality checks.... they don't just stamp... you guys just have one brand walton... but we have multiple options.... don't be silly to compare such small company to tech giants...

To encourage local assembly, the government has slashed customs duty for mobile parts by 24 percentage points to 1 percent in the current budget. Walton has also received permission from the regulator to assemble 51,000 3G-enabled smartphones in three models and has imported equipment for the sets, said a senior executive of the company.

Uday Hakim, a director of Walton, said the group has a full-fledged industrial park in Gazipur so it will not need to make a huge investment. However, the company has set aside Tk 100 crore for handset assembling.

https://www.thedailystar.net/business/walton-gets-nod-mobile-assembly-plant-1490977

from scratch ??? atleast check that company profile before you talk... yes it is very tiny company comparing other Companies.... it's turnover and market size is very small.... just stop acting weird... .

Back
Top Bottom