What's new

VIEW : Siachen: a costly war for Pakistan and India

India's military deems it strategically important.

Most Indian military and strategic analysts now agree that the Siachen Glacier does not
have major strategic significance. Lt. General M. L. Chibber (retd.), who planned the
occupation of Siachen (code-named Operation Meghdoot) in 1984, said flatly in an
interview in December 2004 “Siachen does not have strategic significance.” 22

Lt. General V. R. Raghavan (ret.), a former division commander in the Kargiland Siachen sectors
and a former Director General of MilitaryOperations (DGMO), also minimizes the
military importance of Siachen in his 2002 book Siachen: Conflict Without End.”23

The conclusion is " there's no simply no strategic advantage for India because you cant come down and fight " but since it occupied it " , it has become a matter of prestige otherwise you are merely fighting against the weather , terrain and spending millions just to maintain presence without any gain ...

Most Indian military and strategic analysts now agree that the Siachen Glacier does not
have major strategic significance. Lt. General M. L. Chibber (retd.), who planned the
occupation of Siachen (code-named Operation Meghdoot) in 1984, said flatly in an

Lt. General V. R. Raghavan (ret.), a former division commander in the Kargiland Siachen sectors
military importance of Siachen in his 2002 book Siachen: Conflict Without End.”23

Yet Siachen invokes strong passions in India. Bharat Bhushan observed, “For most Indians,
Siachen symbolizes unparalleled gallantry.” 24

Yet Siachen invokes strong passions in India. Bharat Bhushan observed, “For most Indians,
Siachen symbolizes unparalleled gallantry.” 24

Its otherwise actually,it gives view of paksitan and china combined.if india looses it then pakistan n china will be in most powerful situation ever.

That my friend i am sorry to say is reality. Posession is 9/10ths of the law.
A bigger country is able to bully a smaller country. Think of it this way, which country or UN can or will force India to vacate Siachen.

No global power wants to upset the apple cart. It could have happened if Pakistan had a clear, undisputable legal right to Siachen. As things stand, none of the 2 countries have it. So no country will force India to vacate.

None can force India but Pakistan. Pakistan could have done it using military force only as diplomatic coercion will not work for above mentioned reasons. Military force has not succeeded in that area despite Pakistan trying. The cost for India is not high in economics and in human lives its now almost negligible. The cost for Pakistan is high.

That area doesnt even have a human population that wants India out. India's military deems it strategically important.

What incentive does India have to let go?

How naive are you.

The reality of aggression by India can not be rewarded. We are not going anywhere - we are right here and will get it back when we so desire. Otherwise you would not have your forces deployed there.

This is the reality.

Its otherwise actually,it gives view of paksitan and china combined.if india looses it then pakistan n china will be in most powerful situation ever.

Really ? How ? What sort of view ? Is it a beautiful sight or scenery because UAV's and satellite can do the same thing at much lesser cost ?

Both Pakistan and China have surrounded you from three sides and we are still in a very very powerful position.

You can keep Siachen for the time being and until then baraf day golay khao te maujjan lutto.

Excellent expose of reality.

Thanks !

I was just teaching Indians their own history whilst they are satisfied by their dramatic and sensationalist media ...

Both Pakistan and China have surrounded you from three sides and we are still in a very very powerful position.

Exactly ! What advantage does India have in occupying the highest peaks in the area is beyond me ? Can they come down and fight in case of any way ? :no: ... What are they protecting what from ?

Thanks !

I was just teaching Indians their own history whilst they are satisfied by their dramatic and sensationalist media ...

Exactly ! What advantage does India have in occupying the highest peaks in the area is beyond me ? Can they come down and fight in case of any way ? :no: ... What are they protecting what from ?

Exactly.

Like I tell the Indians - baraf de golay khao te maujan lutto

Really ? How ? What sort of view ? Is it a beautiful sight or scenery because UAV's and satellite can do the same thing at much lesser cost ?

India can have eye on china and pakistan from siachin and karakoram is not far from siachin and this is the factor where pakistan is feared off.

Thanks !

They why are u worried and ur military is paranoid abt siachin? leave poor india and its military as its own ..:oops:

we are already weak :oops: ..

India can have eye on china and pakistan from siachin and karakoram is not far from siachin and this is the factor where pakistan is feared off.

Udhar 10 foot door wala banda sahi nazar nahin ata, Pakistan aur China pe nazar rakho ge.

ha ha ha .....

Where exactly is Pakistan at a disadvantage ? We still maintain control over 1/3 of the Siachen Glacier and nullify any strategic advantage gained from the occupation of the said area ... The logistics costs is much less and the casualties are low ...

Pakistan is at a disadvantage from both a strategic and tactical sense. India holds the highest peaks overlooking PA postions, Pakistani posts are not even on the Siachin glacier. Additionally the IA has transformed itslef into one of thr finest mountain warfare forces on earth and as such can operate with ease and with little human cost. To support troops in this envormant is incredibly expensive in monetary terms and hear again Pakistan is at a huge disadvantage over India.

Or to put it another way where is does Pakistan have an advantage over India in this area?

They why are ur worried and ur military is paranoid abt siachin? leave poor india and its military as its own ..:oops:

we are already weak :oops: ..

Who is worried.

I have told you guys so many times, I will say it again.

Baraf de golay khao te maujan lutto.

Pakistan is at a disadvantage from both a strategic and tactical sense. India holds the highest peaks overlooking PA postions, Pakistani posts are not even on the Siachin glacier. Additionally the IA has transformed itslef into one of thr finest mountain warfare forces on earth and as such can operate with ease and with little human cost. To support troops in this envormant is incredibly expensive in monetary terms and hear again Pakistan is at a huge disadvantage over India.

Or to put it another way where is does Pakistan have an advantage over India in this area?

If India has such a big advantage, why doesn't India rolls down and capture the place.

How naive are you.

The reality of aggression by India can not be rewarded. We are not going anywhere - we are right here and will get it back when we so desire. Otherwise you would not have your forces deployed there.

This is the reality.

We did not ask you to go, however you are paying much more in money and life.. But neither me nor my fellow countrymen care.. ::)

Our forces are there because some neighboring high ranking generals plan badly (They basically suck!) :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom