What's new

Vietnam Rejects US Demand to Stop 'Land Reclamation' in South China Sea

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Vietnam Rejects US Demand to Stop 'Land Reclamation' in South China Sea

14:58 01.06.2015(updated 14:59 01.06.2015)

Vietnam rejected the US demand to stop land reclamation activities in the South China Sea at high-level talks on Monday.

Vietnam rejected US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter's demand to stop land reclamation in the South China Sea, saying the activities were not aimed at expansion.

Carter called for an "an immediate and lasting halt to land reclamation by all claimants" at a security summit in Singapore on Saturday. The United States previously accused China of "manufacturing sovereignty" by reclaiming and consolidating islands in the disputed region.

"We have some activities to enhance and consolidate the islands that are under our sovereignty. We do not expand the islands, we just consolidate to prevent erosion because of waves," Vietnam's Defense Minister Phung Quang Thanh said after talks on Monday.

Vietnam also has soldiers stationed on 21 islands and reefs in the disputed region, according to Thanh. A US military source told Reuters that Carter did not receive an explanation over what Vietnam considers maintenance versus new expansion.

"On the submerged islands, we only built small houses, which can accommodate a few people and we are not expanding. The scope and characteristic of our work is purely civilian," Thanh added.

Carter also pledged $18 million for Vietnam to buy coast guard vessels. The US banned selling arms to Vietnam not related to maritime security or surveillance over what the US considers Vietnam's "human rights" issues.

Vietnam Historians Challenge New US Film Portraying 'Last Days' of War

The two countries also discussed cooperation to clean up residue from Agent Orange, a poisonous defoliating agent the US dispersed over Vietnam during the two countries' 1955-1975 war.

The US use of Agent Orange, since banned by the Geneva Convention, led millions of Vietnamese citizens to suffer from health problems including disabilities and birth defects. Residue from the agent continues to contaminate Vietnam's agricultural lands and pose a threat to nearby residents and the country's food supply.

Read more: Vietnam Rejects US Demand to Stop 'Land Reclamation' in South China Sea / Sputnik International

Last edited:
Now even Vietnam tells US to piss off :rofl: , guess more reason for us to continue with our constructions

I kind of feel good about that. This weakens the US hand and insincere and unconvoncing rhetoric.

Obama regime is becoming the pushover of the region.

Excellent............. the US has an excuse to save it's face when China comes all guns blazing............. now Vietnam can also be discarded honorably, just like the Philippines......... way to go Vietnam! :D

I kind of feel good about that. This weakens the US hand and insincere and unconvoncing rhetoric.

Obama regime is becoming the pushover of the region.

I already expected this reaction from Vietnam when Carter told VCP to stop with their expansions just to justify criticizing China. The US got nothing on us, send their surveillance planes flying in circles if they like but our expansions will not be stopped.

I already expected this reaction from Vietnam when Carter told VCP to stop with their expansions just to justify criticizing China. The US got nothing on us, send their surveillance planes flying in circles if they like but our expansions will not be stopped.

This is good development.

By rejecting US demand, Vietnam effectively reiterated China's position that whatever disputes there are, they are to be solved bilaterally between the related parties. Outside meddling is undesired.

Vietnam cannot invite the US in while it at the same time tells it to mind its own business.

Maybe Vietnam anticipates the US to stand by them no matter what because it is a showdown between China and the US no matter what.

Vietnam plays into its insignificance but you cannot play with great powers like that.

sputnik is a russian propaganda tool, its primary aim is to bash the US "imperialism" days and nights.

besides, our land reclamation is too little, too disappointing. No, the US should give money to Vietnam so we start massive land reclamation as seen at China. win-win for both. the US can have a military base on one of the islands. if the US boys are stationed far away from our mainland, there will be less possible bad feelings.

US has nothing on this. Even Japan is also undergoing similar land reclaiming projects.
I suggest Vietnam to build some light houses too and get their video cameras rolling. We should have a contest to see who can make the best version of the following video:

:cheers:

besides, our land reclamation is too little, too disappointing. No, the US should give money to Vietnam so we start massive land reclamation as seen at China. win-win for both. the US can have a military base on one of the islands. if the US boys are stationed far away from our mainland, there will be less possible bad feelings.

I am happy to see your land reclamation going at full speed while you are disappointed at that. This automatically pushes outside interference out of the region because, out of keeping the face, the US cannot be seen supporting one side's land reclamation while trying, in vain, to aggressively stop the other side's.

Then it all comes down to who has the stronger capabilities. The race for land reclamation and infrastructure building has already begun. You have to beat China on that.

I am happy to see your land reclamation going at full speed while you are disappointed at that. This automatically pushes outside interference out of the region because, out of keeping the face, the US cannot be seen supporting one side's land reclamation while trying, in vain, to aggressively stop the other side's.

Then it all comes down to who has the stronger capabilities. The race for land reclamation and infrastructure building has already begun. You have to beat China on that.
no, that is a game we can´t win. as now, we reclaim 200,000 m2, while you 2,000,000 m2. that is tenfold. no, we need to work out a new strategy to catch up. you will see we draw US/JP to this party.
upload_2015-6-1_16-12-36.png

sand cay
upload_2015-6-1_16-13-20.png

west reef
upload_2015-6-1_16-14-33.png

Everyone here knows that all of East Asia combined cannot match your Industrial capacity
So if all boils down to China vs Vietnam & PH without US support then we all know who is gonna win,Vietnamese know without JP/US support they don't stand a chance

Everyone here knows that all of East Asia combined cannot match your Industrial capacity
So if all boils down to China vs Vietnam & PH without US support then we all know who is gonna win,Vietnamese know without JP/US support they don't stand a chance

I just want to make sure what the US intention here is: To make everybody stop their build-up, or just China? Apparently, Vietnam does reclamation as much as they can. The fact that theirs is small in scale because their capabilities are small does not make their intention less against the US-imposed laws.

I am in fact for the Vietnam and the Phil to continue with their build-up. They started way before China did and they should probably continue well after China completes its own.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure what the US intention here is? To make everybody stop their build-up, or just China? Apparently, Vietnam does reclamation as much as they can. The fact that theirs is small in scale because their capabilities are small does not make their intention less against the US-imposed laws.

I am in fact for the Vietnam and the Phil to continue with their build-up. They started way before China did and they should probably continue well after China completed its own.
US intention is clear Stop China at all cost & if the succeed (there is a possibility but highly remote) move onto the next country that can threaten then & that's where India comes in,if somehow China is defeated(plz god no) then India will be targeted
& its not like they have not targeted us before in the 90s when we were very close to achieving self suuficency in Crogebic tech for Launch vehicles the US throw its proxies framed all the top scientist which lead to thier wrongful arrests & pushed is back 20 years I mean if that incident had not happened we would have a man in space in by 2000s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom