What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Oh no, they had that version, in fact, that was the first version for the Russian navy. Here is what it looks like:
The VLS at the front is the Shtil air defense system.

There is no doubt in my mind that VN decided to go cheap with the Gepards, the fact that they didn't get the anti sub package is almost criminal. They were probably worried about another mistake like with the BPS-500 / KBO 2000 program, so they bought a minimum package.

View attachment 160661
ok, luckily the next two gepards will have more firepower than the current ones, full package against enemy surface warships, submarines and fighter jets.

Oh no, they had that version, in fact, that was the first version for the Russian navy. Here is what it looks like:
The VLS at the front is the Shtil air defense system.

There is no doubt in my mind that VN decided to go cheap with the Gepards, the fact that they didn't get the anti sub package is almost criminal. They were probably worried about another mistake like with the BPS-500 / KBO 2000 program, so they bought a minimum package.
The Russian version of the Gepard with the VLS and a full hangar would it had been nice for Vietnam, I wonder how much it is, higher cost is probably the reason why VN didn't go for that, too bad.
Probably the Gepard with VLS and a full hangar is new developed version and did not exist when the navy placed the order.

Carlosa got the point with "BPS-500 case", surely, Vietnam MoD was worry about cost overrun and delay on delivery time.

First two Gepard is sample, we placed order in 2007, and it's take Russian shipyard more than 3 year to completed 2 ships.
That is reasons which we don't chose VLS version or project 20382 "Tigr" ( Steregushchy class had problems with supply system). Plus, UKSK VLS is new system, still not mature at that time. :hitwall:

Now, those system were install on many ships of Russian navy, we can expect the same on our modified ships. :cheers:

Carlosa got the point with "BPS-500 case", surely, Vietnam MoD was worry about cost overrun and delay on delivery time.

First two Gepard is sample, we placed order in 2007, and it's take Russian shipyard more than 3 year to completed 2 ships.
That is reasons which we don't chose VLS version or project 20382 "Tigr" ( Steregushchy class had problems with supply system). Plus, UKSK VLS is new system, still not mature at that time. :hitwall:

Now, those system were install on many ships of Russian navy, we can expect the same on our modified ships. :cheers:

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that VN plans to upgrade the 2 current Gepards with some of those systems?

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that VN plans to upgrade the 2 current Gepards with some of those systems?

I think so, base on this pic, we can expect it for real:

b25684baf772-jpg.160415

The ship has UKSK VLS for Klub-S missiles which we bought from Russia along with project 636 Varshavyanka class submarine.

I think so, base on this pic, we can expect it for real:

b25684baf772-jpg.160415

The ship has UKSK VLS for Klub-S missiles which we bought from Russia along with project 636 Varshavyanka class submarine.

Oh that's nice, it should be not much problem to adapt the UKSK VLS system and move out the Palma to the back. Do you know if they plan to add the torpedo package also? I think they can find space for that.

We are always talking about upgrading the 2 current Gepards, not about new ships, right?

What happened to the old rumor of VN buying the license to make the Gepards in VN? Is that ever going to happen or should we forget about it?

Oh that's nice, it should be not much problem to adapt the UKSK VLS system and move out the Palma to the back. Do you know if they plan to add the torpedo package also? I think they can find space for that.

We are always talking about upgrading the 2 current Gepards, not about new ships, right?

What happened to the old rumor of VN buying the license to make the Gepards in VN? Is that ever going to happen or should we forget about it?

Oh, sorry, my bad, mistake again, I saying about new ships, old two Gepard will need many modified to fit upgrade kit, so better option is buy new one.

The upgrade that we can expect for Gepard (HQ-11, HQ-12) is replace AK-630 in rear ship with Barak-1 or Palma CIWS.

Don't know about Gepard build by Vietnam, but I think SIGMA is very possible, we will still import radar, electronic, engine, and sub system from Western, but can replace SSM with domestic Uran if we can modify FCS system with help from Thales.

Oh, sorry, my bad, mistake again, I saying about new ships, old two Gepard will need many modified to fit upgrade kit, so better option is buy new one.

The upgrade that we can expect for Gepard (HQ-11, HQ-12) is replace AK-630 in rear ship with Barak-1 or Palma CIWS.

Don't know about Gepard build by Vietnam, but I think SIGMA is very possible, we will still import radar, electronic, engine, and sub system from Western, but can replace SSM with domestic Uran if we can modify FCS system with help from Thales.

Oh ok, so..... are you saying that the 2 Gepards in the second batch that is on order are going to look like in your picture?

Oh ok, so..... are you saying that the 2 Gepards in the second batch that is on order are going to look like in your picture?
I think so, I remember some staff from GDQP fb page implied that in few comment on TTVOL forum.
Official news from Vietnam and Russian shipyard that we have ASW capable on new Gepard, best thing I can expect in that pic . :enjoy:

I think so, I remember some staff from GDQP fb page implied that in few comment on TTVOL forum.
Official news from Vietnam and Russian shipyard that we have ASW capable on new Gepard, best thing I can expect in that pic . :enjoy:

That's not bad man, the ASW capability was already well known, but VLS for Club, that's a surprise to me because at the time of the order people were saying that it would be no VLS system.

I hope you are right about the VLS. :enjoy:

Another thing that was not clear, some people said that it might have the Packet-E anti torpedo system, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Admiralty Shipyards provide Vietnamese Navy with third Project 636.1 submarine
15:34 December 5, 2014 Interfax

Admiralty Shipyards (which is part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation) in St. Petersburg have provided the Vietnamese Navy with the third of the six Project 636.1 diesel-electric submarines ordered by Vietnam, the Russian shipbuilding industry told Interfax-AVN.

"An act of technical acceptance of the submarine was signed on Thursday," the source said.

Admiralty Shipyards is now expecting a barge to take the submarine to Cam Ranh, where it will be based. "The submarine, which is called the Hai Phong, will be sent to Vietnam tentatively by December 10," the source said.

The contract for the supply of six Project 636.1diesel-electric submarines to Vietnam was signed in 2009 during a visit to Moscow by Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung. Besides the construction of submarines, the contract envisages the training of Vietnamese crews and the supply of the necessary equipment and technical property.

The first and the second, the Vietnamese Hanoi and the Ho Chi Minh submarines are now in Cam Ranh.

The fourth submarine of the series began builders' sea trials in mid June. The keel of the sixth submarine was laid in late May.

Project 636.1 diesel-electric submarines are third-generation submarines. They are equipped with a Club anti-boat missile system, which considerably expands the splash zone. Due to their super-low noise level, submarines of this class have been called "black hole submarines" in the West.

The Hai Phong port was used by Soviet vessels carrying aid to the people of Vietnam to unload their cargo during the war between Vietnam and the U.S.

Admiralty Shipyards provide Vietnamese Navy with third Project 636.1 submarine | Russia Beyond The Headlines

The 4th sub will come at the beginning of 2015.
The 5th sub will come at the end of 2015.
The 6th sub will come at the beginning of 2016.

The 2nd batch of 2 Molniya ships will be delivered in the 2nd quarter of 2015
The 3rd batch of 2 Molniya ships will be delivered in the 2nd quarter of 2016

The 2 Gepards will be delivered by the end of 2016

That's the latest schedule.

I believe the 2 Sigmas will be delivered in 2016 and 2017, but I haven't seen any official schedule.

2016 is the key year for the completion of 3 naval programs.

Last edited:
I wonder why the airforce does not build hardened aircraft shelter? such open hangar full of aircraft is very vulnerable.
Yes, the tropical humid air has more salinity than high latitude areas. I can't answer this question, coz i saw ur Su-22 also stay in open hangar for many years.

Back
Top Bottom